Airbox Baffle thingo

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ex-viffer

Airbox Baffle thingo

Post by ex-viffer »

I've read about some guys (mainly them crazy Aussies) cutting off the rib thingo that goes across the inside of the airbox, between the snorkel and the filter. Some of them reckon it makes the throttle repsonse better, smoother, etc., but I reckon that's probably not particualrly objective.
So does anyone know what it does? Apparently it's not present on the K&N air filters, so does this mean it's alright to butcher it? Does cutting it down or out make the bike run better or worse?
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
castrolstorm

BAFFLE THINGY

Post by castrolstorm »

HI THERE
THE BAFFLE IS PROBABLY THERE TO CUT INTAKE NOISE ,IN CASE YOU CAN HEAR THE BIKE RUNNING,
THE BAFFLE IN THE AIRBOX LID IS ONLY SCREWED ON, AND I HAVE A BMC FILTER THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE BAFFLE, IT RUNS JUST FINE
GO ON DO IT !YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO
CHEERS RICK
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Greetings, O Castrolstorm!

Yeah, I took out the part of the baffle that's in the airbox lid, dunno if it makes any difference, but when the roads here dry out I'll give it a thrash and see how it is. If it's OK, then I will probably cut the rest of the baffle (the part on the filter) down or right off.

My thinking was, "If they've stuck the baffle there, then there must be a good reason for it". (Assuming Honda actually did some logical and systematic tests on airbox shape and construction). If it's there just to reduce noise, well it would be almost unnoticeable over the roar from my vandalised cans. If it's there for some Helmholtz pulse thingo, then removing the bit I've taken off should change the running somewhat.
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

(I hate answering my own posts...)
OK, I did a whole $h1tload of research on "Helmholtz resonance"<yawn> and although I didn't come up with a definitive answer, I did ascertain that the baffle and 'spoiler thingo' appear to be present for the Helmholtz effect. That is, as air comes in through the snorkel and into the airbox, its flow over the baffle is smoothed by the angled spoiler on the baffle's edge. This produces a more laminar flow, and (I think) helps with either reducing resonance pulses or producing a standing wave. Either way, it looks like it's more likely to be there for induction charging reasons, rather than for noise reduction. Whatever; the bike definitely seems to run better with it in place. I can't believe that Honda bunged it in there just for the hell of it, so I'm leaving it there until someone can show me good reason for it to be yanked out.
- Ian in EnZed