Spilt Custard...

General Bike chat
KermitLeFrog

Re: Spilt Custard...

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I'm not an orthopedic nurse either but I know a lot about broken collar bones. From the looks of that x-ray everything Should heal up nicely but it will take a while. You are not young enough and the separation is not bad enough to justify an operation (I had three...).
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Wicky wrote::thumbup: :lol:

my ironing board wont go at that angle!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

KermitLeFrog wrote:I'm not an orthopedic nurse either but I know a lot about broken collar bones. From the looks of that x-ray everything Should heal up nicely but it will take a while. You are not young enough and the separation is not bad enough to justify an operation (I had three...).
So Old Git is basically what your saying...Go on kick a man when he's down whydon'tcha !

Right I'm off got a pipe to pack, slippers to wear & werthers to suck... Thanks Kev & Al for the supplies... :lol: :wink: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

MacV2 wrote:
KermitLeFrog wrote:I'm not an orthopedic nurse either but I know a lot about broken collar bones. From the looks of that x-ray everything Should heal up nicely but it will take a while. You are not young enough and the separation is not bad enough to justify an operation (I had three...).
So Old Git is basically what your saying...Go on kick a man when he's down whydon'tcha !

Right I'm off got a pipe to pack, slippers to wear & werthers to suck... Thanks Kev & Al for the supplies... :lol: :wink: :lol:
I had the same "old git" thing until I kicked up a fuss and pulled a few strings. Mine was in much worse shape than yours and in three pieces as well. When I complained to the original ortho that I would have trouble riding bikes and horses, shooting, diving and all the other things I liked to do he pointed out that I was in a sedentary occupation, I could still type on a computer and, quote "We don't do operations on the basis of lifestyle choices". An army ortho said that if I was a young rugby player (or similar) they would operate but it wouldn't be worth it for someone my age. A friend of a friend finally cut me open and plated it but it took three goes. Being self employed I never stopped working or driving but I was a tad sore for some time but.... Morphine is a wonderful thing!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Morphine is a wonderful thing!
Yes but there are better drugs than clinical heroin in the anaesthesia department. :biggrin I'm thinking they could do some keyhole surgery and pin that collar bone in this day and age. It all comes down to the post code lottery, cost and your age. You maybe past it in their eyes and not worth spending the money on. You could buy yourself the title of Lord or Sir Macster and then they will treat you differently but you will have to buy some smarter clothes and change your appearance to pull it off. :lol: :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

cybercarl wrote:
Morphine is a wonderful thing!
Yes but there are better drugs than clinical heroin in the anaesthesia department. :biggrin I'm thinking they could do some keyhole surgery and pin that collar bone in this day and age. It all comes down to the post code lottery, cost and your age. You maybe past it in their eyes and not worth spending the money on. You could buy yourself the title of Lord or Sir Macster and then they will treat you differently but you will have to buy some smarter clothes and change your appearance to pull it off. :lol: :lol:
Yes, there is an operation where they pin it instead of slashing you open and plating it but.... it's not simple. Slashing you open IS simple. It's still expensive, £1000s for the artificial bone they used on me that didn't work. Then there is an infection risk even with keyhole stuff. I had one of those as well after they used a hammer and chisel to knock some bone marrow out of my hip. If there is ANY chance of it healing up without invasive surgery then that's the preferred option. Looking at Macs x-ray that looks like the probable result. It will take a few months though.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
Yes, there is an operation where they pin it instead of slashing you open and plating it but.... it's not simple. Slashing you open IS simple. It's still expensive, £1000s for the artificial bone they used on me that didn't work. Then there is an infection risk even with keyhole stuff. I had one of those as well after they used a hammer and chisel to knock some bone marrow out of my hip. If there is ANY chance of it healing up without invasive surgery then that's the preferred option. Looking at Macs x-ray that looks like the probable result. It will take a few months though.
I had a bone graft into my wrist after the last bone cracking incident...

I spoke to the Bone Cutter before the op & he said we may have to do a bone graft as it looks as if some of the bone has disintegrated...OK says I, where will you take the graft from ? OH further up the arm, or your thigh, or off the self ...

Off the self ? Yeah cadaver bone...

After the op at the first check up appointment I asked him if he had done a bone graft as I couldn't find any new wounds...

Yes we took it off the self... 8O
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Good point about the infection. £1000 is cheap. I wonder how they exactly put a value on someone life. I know it's not a life threatening injury but it's still something that someone has to live with which affects their lifestyle. If he had a boob job that was giving him a bad back they would probably give him a boob reduction. :lol: Or maybe he could name himself after one of his customers and get better treatment. Macstafiara Hopodopulus :lol: :lol:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

cybercarl wrote:£1000 is cheap. I wonder how they exactly put a value on someone life. I know it's not a life threatening injury but it's still something that someone has to live with which affects their lifestyle
You missed out the "s". The ortho quoted 6k just for the goo; but, I take your point. But.... the NHS does not have unlimited funds. They have no choice, they have to limit some treatment. Where you put that line must be a very difficult decision to make. I would hate to have to do it.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

:thumbup: A good read. I've a copy and have lent it out a few times to folk in hospital. Tell em to have it noticable on their table when the surgeons do their rounds... keeps them on their toes.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I would hate to have to do it.
Indeed.... and it must feel like playing god. Do they sleep at nights. What an awful decision to make. :eek2 Medical staff are in a tug of war between what they believe to be morally right and what bureaucracy and funds tell them.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

years from now when mac is all healed up and doing back flips etc etc we ought to have a whip round and get his collar bone re x-rayed again and see how it mended.

I got the lovely news yesterday that I got arthritis in both shoulders :(

that's why they ache like a basterd in the mornings till I get them moving a bit. anyone know anyone whose had a silicon one put in. I know loads of hip and knee customers
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

lumpyv wrote:years from now when mac is all healed up and doing back flips etc etc we ought to have a whip round and get his collar bone re x-rayed again and see how it mended.

I got the lovely news yesterday that I got arthritis in both shoulders :(

that's why they ache like a basterd in the mornings till I get them moving a bit. anyone know anyone whose had a silicon one put in. I know loads of hip and knee customers
Only back flips I'll be doing is if I fall off a bike again... :lol:
john306

Post by john306 »

Shoulder pain ughh, I feel for you Mac and lumpy.
I've had it for the last 16 months, gone through tablets, physio, injections, all no good, im now booked in for an operation 23rd December to shave down some bone that's pressing on my tendon... Well that's Christmas bolloxed 8O
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

john306 wrote:Shoulder pain ughh, I feel for you Mac and lumpy.
I've had it for the last 16 months, gone through tablets, physio, injections, all no good, im now booked in for an operation 23rd December to shave down some bone that's pressing on my tendon... Well that's Christmas bolloxed 8O
OOOhhh! Bugger...

I have a fracture clinic booked in the same day...