what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
agentpineapple

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by agentpineapple »

seb421 wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:Hopefully the pattern of the Armstrong wavy discs will make it a little easier for me.... :wink:
i was going to get wavy discs again but after reading into it its all for show not go, hence you don't see them on any of the proper race bikes there's a reason why they stick to a full discs as it gives consistent solid braking feel, i believe the wavy are able to clean the disc pads more effective but that's the only benefit they offer reading about them
You've depressed me now.... :(
Still 330mm wavy's have got to be better the OEM storm disc's :wink:
Just not as good as OEM cbr954 disc's... :thumbdown:
But they look gorgeous.... :biggrin
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
8541Hawk

Re: what have you done to your

Post by 8541Hawk »

Pete.L wrote: Noooooo!
They can cause major problems at Ahem! Illegal speeds.
Firstly they can unbalance the wheel but more frieghteningly, they tend to bend and flex up and down as your speed increases and decreases. This can prematurely stress the valve stem and cause it to leak or ,worse case scenario , cause a blow out. I,d rather keep the valve stem standard and bend my pump head to fit :!:

Pete.l
I've run a set of 90* valve stems for the last 5-6 years on the VTR with no issues what so ever and even more years than that on race bikes.

Do you have a link or something to show this happening?

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If there is enough force generated to bend a Al stem, wouldn't the rubber stem get compressed also?
Then with the rubber stem being forced to compress and rebound, wouldn't it have a chance of sudden failure also?

So firstly they can't unbalance a wheel unless you don't check the balance after you change them out and then it is on you for not doing a complete job, not the valve stem.
Secondly, I would want to see a failed valve stem as I would like to see the failure point and also because I have never seen one fail out of all the ones I have seen used.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

agentpineapple wrote:
seb421 wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:Hopefully the pattern of the Armstrong wavy discs will make it a little easier for me.... :wink:
i was going to get wavy discs again but after reading into it its all for show not go, hence you don't see them on any of the proper race bikes there's a reason why they stick to a full discs as it gives consistent solid braking feel, i believe the wavy are able to clean the disc pads more effective but that's the only benefit they offer reading about them
You've depressed me now.... :(
Still 330mm wavy's have got to be better the OEM storm disc's :wink:
Just not as good as OEM cbr954 disc's... :thumbdown:
But they look gorgeous.... :biggrin
On the road mate and some basic track stuff us mere mortals won't be able to tell the difference or reach the limit of either type,

I probably would have got wavey type if they did a 320mm kit for mine in them as they do look proper flash bastsrd

As for the 330mm 954 set up it was night and day compared to the storms original set up :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Bike failed it's MOT on the wheel bearings :( But interestingly enough he mentioned my tyre valves where starting to deteriorate a little. I said that will be stress fractures from bending the valve over a little when putting air in the tyres then. So I asked about 90 degree valves and if there are any problems with them. I was told best not to go with the rubber ones and IIRC some Triumph bikes have a metal right angle metal valve or something that is a lot more secure. They are held on by a nut on the inside. I've not heard of these before, sounds a bit strange to me. :confused He also said that they don't affect balance so much but centrifugal forces put strain on them and some tyre shops make the mistake of putting a car valve in which is slightly longer, so make sure they put shorter valves in. This also makes it easier to attach an air pump.

The way I see it rubber will deteriorate no matter which ones are used. Go with the straight ones and they get stress from bending when putting air in and from the centrifugal forces. Go with the right angle ones and they get stress (more so) from the centrifugal forces but are not getting bent when filling with air. So they are both as good as one another really. Take your pick!

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Did you go to the good old boys in surrey?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Re: what have you done to your

Post by MacV2 »

Pete.L wrote:
lloydie wrote: Get a 90' bent valve fitted simples
Noooooo!
They can cause major problems at Ahem! Illegal speeds.
Firstly they can unbalance the wheel but more frieghteningly, they tend to bend and flex up and down as your speed increases and decreases. This can prematurely stress the valve stem and cause it to leak or ,worse case scenario , cause a blow out. I,d rather keep the valve stem standard and bend my pump head to fit :!:

Pete.l
Sorted...

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/news.aspx?article=646

Bit dear but hey ho ya pays ya money & it cuts down on the whining...Other cheaper varieties are available, google ''Valve access tool''
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Great idea Mac get the missus to risk chipping a nail when checking pressures

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Wicky wrote:Great idea Mac get the missus to risk chipping a nail when checking pressures

Nah not the Mrs that's Lloydie doing it !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

yep i moisturise and have baby soft hands :clap:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

I would still like to see a failed Al stem or at least a link to one.

The way I see it, first you need to figure out the tensile of the Al alloy used and the the weight of the small tube sticking out.

Then with that info you could figure out how fast the wheel would have to spin in order to cause deflection of the tube.
I would guess the RPM needed to cause the tube to bend would be higher than this bike is capable of producing.

I also find it a bit odd that the aftermarket wheel manufactures don't know about the dangers of 90* stems..... I mean why would Marchesini put 90* stems in their ad photos?
http://www.marchesiniwheels.com/en/whee ... enesi.aspx

They also sell them directly:
http://www.marchesiniwheels.com/en/whee ... ORIES.aspx

BST, the same thing....90* stems

I could go on but I just leave it at that, Until I actually see a 90* valve that has failed due to it flexing itself apart, I just can't believe it.

Plus the fact I have run them for years on my bike ( and yes it has reached its terminal velocity or around 160MPH during that time) with no issues what so ever.
Then I would say around 80% or more of the club racers in the Bay Area also run them and I have never seen one fail.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Will you stop putting facts in the way of a good story Hawk! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Virt

Post by Virt »

lloydie wrote:yep i moisturise and have baby soft hands :clap:
He isn't lying guys. Except when he decides to spill my bloody fuel everywhere :lol: Your hands were not so nice after that :p
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Lloydie has even painted his nails to match Kermit..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

8541Hawk wrote:I would still like to see a failed Al stem or at least a link to one.

The way I see it, first you need to figure out the tensile of the Al alloy used and the the weight of the small tube sticking out.

Then with that info you could figure out how fast the wheel would have to spin in order to cause deflection of the tube.
I would guess the RPM needed to cause the tube to bend would be higher than this bike is capable of producing.

I also find it a bit odd that the aftermarket wheel manufactures don't know about the dangers of 90* stems..... I mean why would Marchesini put 90* stems in their ad photos?

I could go on but I just leave it at that, Until I actually see a 90* valve that has failed due to it flexing itself apart, I just can't believe it.

Plus the fact I have run them for years on my bike ( and yes it has reached its terminal velocity or around 160MPH during that time) with no issues what so ever.
Then I would say around 80% or more of the club racers in the Bay Area also run them and I have never seen one fail.
I've had them on my bike for a good while and they seem fine... I also make them at work for various race teams and even my own team mount them at ninety degrees to the rim so I didn't take a lot of notice when I read about it either. I know I'll be keeping mine as it makes it a lot easier to check pressures.
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

gl_s_r wrote:
8541Hawk wrote:I would still like to see a failed Al stem or at least a link to one.

I've had them on my bike for a good while and they seem fine... I also make them at work for various race teams and even my own team mount them at ninety degrees to the rim so I didn't take a lot of notice when I read about it either. I know I'll be keeping mine as it makes it a lot easier to check pressures.

You ARE missing the important fact that they look gash though, this is why I won't use them.

:beer:
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.