Braced swinger

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
kenmoore

Re: Braced swinger

Post by kenmoore »

Thanks for the compliments guys.

A couple of niggles such as clearance issues with the left link pipe which is now sorted by inserting the link pipe into a vice, shoving a rag and breaker bar in it and giving it a few yanks and presto we now have clearance. I put myself and my fat b8stard neighbour on the bike to compress the susspension to make sure that it clears the brace .

Adjusted the brake light switch so that the brake light wasn't on all the time.

Had to use spacers on the hugger to clear the tyre, so now I will make a mesh infill for the gap between the swinger and hugger.

I forgot to tighten the gear change rod lock nuts and ended up not being able to change down gears so that has now been set right.

I need to dremmel off the link pipe to original foot rest brackets as they look untidy.

The Dan Moto rear sets are a big surprise and I would recommend them to anyone as a value for money addition to your bike.

I pulled them apart before fitting and put lock tight on all the bolts.

Since riding the bike I have rechecked everything to make sure that nothing is loose.

I love the way the bike feels under load around corners now! It is hard to describe but it just feels more planted. Maybe just because I have put a lot of effort into this mod I think it's better but it sure feels like it.

I rode it over my favourite mountain road and the bike seemed to handle the bumps better.

All in all I am a happy camper, now onto the next mod!

I have a spare sub frame that I am going to refurb but don't know wether to polish it or paint it black.
I also want to paint the lower fork legs black and fit my new tail light with integrated blinkers and have some flush mount blinkers for the front on their way as we speak.

Ah, the quest for the perfect storm never ends.

Funny how things go as when I bought the bike all I was going to do was tidy it up and fit a set of cans which I did.

I must of been hit with the modification bug and to date I have done the following things that have seemed necessary at the time.

1- Fitted a set of cans
2-relieved the exhaust pipe on the right hand side.
3-fitted the Dyno Jet kit
4- removed the P.A.I.R
5-adjusted the T.P.S
6-removed the engine pipes, cleaned and polished and fitted new gaskets, also cleaned up all the crud on the engine while pipes were off.
7-fitted Ohlins .85 fork springs
8-had back shock refurbished
9-fitted J.E pistons and decked the head and cleaned up the ports.while at it I fitted a 4 degree advancer, removed the anti rattle gear, fitted a lightened flywheel from H Power here in Australia(thanks Bill) fitted an electric water pump.
Removed the water pump drive gear and chain and refurbished the clutch.also fitted Kreigers manual CCTs.
Polished the engine side covers and fitted stainless Allen heads through out.
10- got hit with the bling bug and fitted SDR levers, polished master cylinder caps all round, dark double bubble screen, braided hoses and chopped the rear fender.
11- did the F4i brake caliper upgrade.
12- fitted coerce fork brace and sprocket cover and fitted braided clutch hose.
13- did the swing arm mod and fitted the rear sets, hugger, high level exhaust hangers and bar end mirrors!

There are other small things I have done and so far this has taken nearly 2 years.

Is the bike better? Darn right it is and there is still more that I want to do like a USD front end etc.

I got all of the motivation for this by reading forums and riding my bike.

Now it's time for me to enjoy my handy work while I contemplate my next move.

Thanks once again for the support and motivation.

I definitely think that mods are a disease that once acquired is hard to get rid of.

Cheers!
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Looking great! Did you have to do much to the rearsets to get them fit? :thumbup: I had one or two problems with clearance, but really happy with them now.
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

kenmoore wrote:Ah, the quest for the perfect storm never ends........
On ITV2 right now :thumbup: ..........Happy to help...... :lol:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

My Dans turned up without the spacers but as I had read on forums I contacted them and they sent them to me.

I also replaced most of the bolts with better quality items and apart from that they were easy to fit.

I like them and am still playing around with the adjustability of them at this stage.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
bigtwinthing

Re: Re Finally Finished

Post by bigtwinthing »

kenmoore wrote:After much tribulation and many beverages its done! YESssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Here are some random pics, I also fitted high mount can brackets and rear sets as well as a hugger.

More,Image

I am very happy with the whole exercise and particularly like the angle of the pipes.

I got the brackets from precision in the U.K and the pipes are now 2" higher and 2" more inboard.

The hugger sets it of nicely as do the rear sets.

I am now going to fit a clear tail light with inbuilt blinkers to tidy up the butt end.

Once again thanks to all that have posted on this subject and to those that first attempted this modification.

Now it's time for a few of these :beer: :beer: :beer: and then a few more while I admire my handy work.

CHEERS!
looks great, be wary of those brackets though as i have them and the cans can tend to drops and move in a bit! they need to be a bit thicker really.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

No problems so far.

I have been keeping an eye on them and so far so good.

Have done about 1,000KLMs now and am still a happy camper. :beer: :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Cleaned up the rear end over Christ!Image
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

kenmoore wrote:Thanks for the compliments guys.

A couple of niggles such as clearance issues with the left link pipe which is now sorted by inserting the link pipe into a vice, shoving a rag and breaker bar in it and giving it a few yanks and presto we now have clearance. I put myself and my fat b8stard neighbour on the bike to compress the susspension to make sure that it clears the brace .

Adjusted the brake light switch so that the brake light wasn't on all the time.

Had to use spacers on the hugger to clear the tyre, so now I will make a mesh infill for the gap between the swinger and hugger.

I forgot to tighten the gear change rod lock nuts and ended up not being able to change down gears so that has now been set right.

I need to dremmel off the link pipe to original foot rest brackets as they look untidy.

The Dan Moto rear sets are a big surprise and I would recommend them to anyone as a value for money addition to your bike.

I pulled them apart before fitting and put lock tight on all the bolts.

Since riding the bike I have rechecked everything to make sure that nothing is loose.

I love the way the bike feels under load around corners now! It is hard to describe but it just feels more planted. Maybe just because I have put a lot of effort into this mod I think it's better but it sure feels like it.

I rode it over my favourite mountain road and the bike seemed to handle the bumps better.

All in all I am a happy camper, now onto the next mod!

I have a spare sub frame that I am going to refurb but don't know wether to polish it or paint it black.
I also want to paint the lower fork legs black and fit my new tail light with integrated blinkers and have some flush mount blinkers for the front on their way as we speak.

Ah, the quest for the perfect storm never ends.

Funny how things go as when I bought the bike all I was going to do was tidy it up and fit a set of cans which I did.

I must of been hit with the modification bug and to date I have done the following things that have seemed necessary at the time.

1- Fitted a set of cans
2-relieved the exhaust pipe on the right hand side.
3-fitted the Dyno Jet kit
4- removed the P.A.I.R
5-adjusted the T.P.S
6-removed the engine pipes, cleaned and polished and fitted new gaskets, also cleaned up all the crud on the engine while pipes were off.
7-fitted Ohlins .85 fork springs
8-had back shock refurbished
9-fitted J.E pistons and decked the head and cleaned up the ports.while at it I fitted a 4 degree advancer, removed the anti rattle gear, fitted a lightened flywheel from H Power here in Australia(thanks Bill) fitted an electric water pump.
Removed the water pump drive gear and chain and refurbished the clutch.also fitted Kreigers manual CCTs.
Polished the engine side covers and fitted stainless Allen heads through out.
10- got hit with the bling bug and fitted SDR levers, polished master cylinder caps all round, dark double bubble screen, braided hoses and chopped the rear fender.
11- did the F4i brake caliper upgrade.
12- fitted coerce fork brace and sprocket cover and fitted braided clutch hose.
13- did the swing arm mod and fitted the rear sets, hugger, high level exhaust hangers and bar end mirrors!

There are other small things I have done and so far this has taken nearly 2 years.

Is the bike better? Darn right it is and there is still more that I want to do like a USD front end etc.

I got all of the motivation for this by reading forums and riding my bike.

Now it's time for me to enjoy my handy work while I contemplate my next move.

Thanks once again for the support and motivation.

I definitely think that mods are a disease that once acquired is hard to get rid of.

Cheers!
Sounds great you could have bought an SP1? and just rode it.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

But where's the fun in that? The whole modding the Storm thing is about obtaining a unique(ish) bike which is personalised to the owners taste and is far superior to anything produced by HRC!!!! Ok I may be lying about the last bit, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the mods I've done to mine and personally really don't want an SP ta all the same.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Kev L wrote:But where's the fun in that? The whole modding the Storm thing is about obtaining a unique(ish) bike which is personalised to the owners taste and is far superior to anything produced by HRC!!!! Ok I may be lying about the last bit, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the mods I've done to mine and personally really don't want an SP ta all the same.
:thumbup:
Sorry wasn't meaning to slag you off, in fact i am very impressed with all the work you guys do on the Storm, i need something thats sounds fab, handles great, looks great, and has enough power to give me the "Buzz" i don't need faster that 145mpg but do like grunt and the ability to piss past sports bikes on roundabouts and in the twists.. Iam gonna sort my forks and shock and then ride it! The engine is plenty fast enough for me.
Ive had a crossplane R1 and i would have killed myself on that!!! but not much soul i prefer the Storm.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

No offence taken mate, each to their own and all that. I have had all the turbo nutter barsteward bikes but this is the first bike I have had a real connection with, and want to just piss about with to make it mine.
Thoroughly agree with you about the IL4's, all go, no soul.
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Kev L wrote:No offence taken mate, each to their own and all that. I have had all the turbo nutter barsteward bikes but this is the first bike I have had a real connection with, and want to just piss about with to make it mine.
Thoroughly agree with you about the IL4's, all go, no soul.
i fancy cutting up the seat unit so theres nothing behind the seat except the number plate. However id probably slide off mid wheelie!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Interesting prospect mate, and one you could always reverse if it doesn't work out for you.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

One of the best things about the Storm ia what you can do to it.

Yes I could of bought an Sp1 at the time but as there was an 848 Evo Corsa and an Aprillia Shiver in the shed at the time I chose the Storm.

It was going to be my hack but there was something about it that told me it was a good thing that needed some attention to get the best out of it.

Soon after buying the bike I took a job 2400klms from home and would spend 3weeks away and a week at home.

I shipped the Storm up and rode it all the time in between mods.

When I went home I didn't have time for the other bikes and sold them.

Now I am back home and the Storm is with me.

I just love the soul this thing has, and I realy enjoy the effect of any mods that I do.

Will I buy another bike , yes but the Storm stays.

It certainly draws attention and I like the fact that most people don't know what it is.

I also like the fact that it pisses my mates off that it goes so well!

These things have soul, and are very versatile! I have ridden it in all conditions and my record in one day is 920 Klms, and yes my butt was sore, but not as sore if I did that on a crotch rocket.

Will I do more mods, yes I will.

Will it ever be an SP1? No because that's not what I want.

What I have set out to do is create a bike with individuality that fulfils a multitude of roles.

I have had 42 bikes to date, and doubtless there will be more, but they will be keeping the Storm company not the other way around.

These things rock and offer value for money regardless of how much yo spend on them!

Once you have been bitten it becomes an addiction and that is priceless in my book.

Many small mods to come, but at the moment the handbrake is on till I save some $$$$

Cheers for now! :beer: :beer: :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Chop the ass off the seat and if we like it you can come and do mine!!! Iam crap withe dremel but can weld, however not plastic and once I've got the Dremel on that theres no turning back. My forks are going to Roger soon and can't wait to get them back and try it!!!