seb421

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by seb421 »

Hahaha talking nonce bloody hell watch the typos guys

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Hey Marty that was a mad ride home. There was a load of protesters or something outside Parliament, I gave them a wake up call with my exhaust while sitting at the lights outside the House of Lords. I got a right dirty look from Plod :lol: I think I must of blocked out the noise form this protesters megaphone thingy. :lol: :lol: Bloody cylists are riding like they have a death wish in London today :eek2

Anyway folks here are some picks of my fork lowers and Swingarm painted.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

oops.... :oops: :oops: :oops:
nonsense!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
macdee

Post by macdee »

hi carl good job on the forks and swinging arm
what sort of paint did you use :thumbup:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I used calliper spray so should be pretty tough, chemical resistant and wot not. The pics don't do it justice, It's a bit like have both pearlecent and a metallic in one paint. You can see the specs in the pics, well, they are like glitter when the light hit's them.

Expensive paint but very good quality and easy to use. The nozzle on the can is superb as it spreads the spray evenly in a horizontal line. It's mixed up and then put in the cans.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270959388629? ... 1423.l2649

Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Would you like to paint mine Carl? Pretty please :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: It's really not that difficult to spray. The hard work is in all the prep. The calliper paint say's it does not require a primer, but I first gave them a coat of Acid etch primer, a coat of regular primer. I was then not 100% happy with the finish as it was still a bit rough in places, so I gave some spray putty primer a go, which by the way I would not buy again. I wet n dry (wet sand to those over the pond :wink: ) between al the coats and the final rub down was with 600 grade wet n dry. Get it as smooth as glass beforehand and then the top coat will look good.

If I was more local to you I probably would do it for you, but I would get you to do the prep first. :biggrin with a little help from me. Lets see how the paint holds up to stones and stuff. I will leave it at least a week before I start on the internals and fitting them to the bike. The longer it is left the better as the paint should be rock hard by then.

Here's another pic that shows the finish a little better

macdee

Post by macdee »

thanks for the info
i was leaving them original but after seeing yours i might just cross over to the dark side
told you not to but oh no you knew better
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote: I wasn't intending on changing the bushes as they are not cheap, but I guess I will see when I get to see what state the internals are in. My bike has only done just over 8500, not that it looks like it :roll: so I'm hoping they not in too bad a condition. But saying that the forks have bottomed out a couple a times with me so we'll see.

Have the forks been apart before?
Using the stanchion against the lower like a slide hammer means that one slider is being bashed against the other, I'd recommend new bushes every time.
Cost isn't much, about 14 pounds each leg.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Forks have not been apart before as far as I know and definitely not been apart in the time I have had the bike. If the bushes are only £30 then I will get some but I could have sworn I saw bush kits IIRC on ebay that where around £70-£80 mark. I remember thinking, sh1t that's expensive. I shall have to re-investigate.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote:Forks have not been apart before as far as I know and definitely not been apart in the time I have had the bike. If the bushes are only £30 then I will get some but I could have sworn I saw bush kits IIRC on ebay that where around £70-£80 mark. I remember thinking, sh1t that's expensive. I shall have to re-investigate.

Silvers for uppers and M+P for lowers, or is it the other way round- look them up, they're not too bad, mate.
Or just ebay it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh I just checked the bay and it's a complete rebuild kit that cost £80 There no bushes on their own for sale there so I shall check wemoto out as well as silvers. What's a good brand fork oil to get Tony. I'm going to use 7.5W.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yep the eBay ones are over priced . They ds or weemoto
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

I rebuilt a set of forks yesterday, got the bits from wemoto, they charge about £30 for a set of sliders, I would not agree with the 'change them every time' comment thought, yes you whack them together to part the forks, but they are big thick bits of copper. Mine took some right hammering to get apart but the bushes are mint. I didn't bother to buy them as its a second set of forks, so thought I would just stop and order them if needed.

It's much easier to damage them knocking the top bush back into the slider without damaging it, and that applies to a new bush anyway. Wear is the issue, if there is any slop they need changing.

My forks turned up from Lee yesterday, very well packed! good job! Started tinkering, not planning on doing the job yesterday afternoon, and 3hrs later I had a pair of rebuilt forks and had sprayed the lowers.

Much easier than other forks I have done. The bottom bolts came straight out, not like some where you need a special tool to lock the internals.

Going to change them over today, then I will be able to go for a proper ride for the first time!
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

It's the Teflon coating that wares and gets damaged .
It's hard to tell just by looking at them you need to go by feel