homeless guy shot dead by police in LA

General Biker Banter
Big_Jim59

Re: homeless guy shot dead by police in LA

Post by Big_Jim59 »

People that are drawn to police work often crave the power it offers over other people's lives. Many people who become police officers get used to this power as a part of the job. They begin to feel comfortable telling people what to do. Couple this desire for superiority with a population, particularly the homeless and street people, who often reject authority outright and you have a recipe for some real problems.

One of the worst things that happens to cops is the "them and us" syndrome. If you are not a cop you can't be trusted because, after all you are one of 'them>" If you are a cop, and since we put our lives in each others hands every day, than I can't and won't condemn you for doing wrong. The ranks of the police are drawn from society at large. Why wouldn't there be just as many criminals, statistically. on the police force as in the general population?
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Well said BJ :)
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

+1
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

pretty much sums it up.. :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

that's an intelligent analysis. one would like to think that the interview process would weedle out the wrong types , and that ongoing assessment would elimante it as well

I think this guy is going to have the book thrown at him . he says the dead guy nicked his tazer but at the end of the video he appears to be dropping it beside he,s victims corpse in an attempt to cover up ?

the whole episode is very sad with so many lives on both sides being ruined..
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Here in Texas we are pretty open minded when it comes to personal protection and private property. A private citizen can use deadly force to protect life and property. That said, if you shoot someone running away from you it's murder, pure and simple. No threat equal no force.

You would think they could weed out the bad eggs in the hiring process but people are really good lairs plus I think the work actually changes people. I think cops get used to making decisions and start to feel comfortable in the role of never being wrong. It is a heady, powerful position that even the wisest of applicants would have a hard time managing.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Can you stop being so right!!!

Yep, could not agree more.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

My observation on confrontational situations are as follows:

In an unarmed confrontation that is escalating towards violence, it is pretty certain that someone will get hurt. May also result in a need for hospital treatment and in some cases death.

When a confrontation takes place with knifes or clubs and things escalate towards violence then the outcome likely to be more severe. A trip to the hospital is highly likely and death is a possibility.

When firearms are involved and an exchange is imminent, then survival is sometimes possible and death is very likely.

I do not think the above is matters when it comes to who's the good guy and who's the bad guy.

In the UK if you here "stop you're under arrest" from a policeman and you decide to confront them in a violent manner, then i would expect kicking and a beating with a stick in the process of being contained.

If i was to confronted a policeman armed with a firearm and decided to engage them in violent manner, then death is a highly likely outcome naturally.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

StuartWags wrote:My observation on confrontational situations are as follows:

In an unarmed confrontation that is escalating towards violence, it is pretty certain that someone will get hurt. May also result in a need for hospital treatment and in some cases death.

When a confrontation takes place with knifes or clubs and things escalate towards violence then the outcome likely to be more severe. A trip to the hospital is highly likely and death is a possibility.

When firearms are involved and an exchange is imminent, then survival is sometimes possible and death is very likely.

I do not think the above is matters when it comes to who's the good guy and who's the bad guy.

In the UK if you here "stop you're under arrest" from a policeman and you decide to confront them in a violent manner, then i would expect kicking and a beating with a stick in the process of being contained.

If i was to confronted a policeman armed with a firearm and decided to engage them in violent manner, then death is a highly likely outcome naturally.
This sounds right to me.

I saw a post recently, in reference to one of these cases, that said "we live in free and democratic societies but during an investigation by police we voluntarily wave the rights of a free citizen while the police perform their investigation. In exchange for this we demand the the police act and conduct their investigation in a civil manner. It doesn't always work out like that on ether side

Did you see this one?
http://pix11.com/2015/04/11/police-rele ... art-brawl/
I think the UK term for these people would be "Pikey?"
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Yeah, i was going to add that link, glad you did.

Here is another thats very questionable.... "Oh Oh, i got my Taser mixed up with my real gun".... yeah right.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Salty Dog on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

[youtube][/youtube]

:thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Thanks mate, i'm crap at YT links ;)
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Many years ago, when I was young, I had some friends who were cops and much older then me. They were cops in the early 60s. One told me that he carried three weapons. His main service weapon, usually a .38, a snub nose .38 in a boot or somewhere else and what he called a "throw down weapon." The throw down weapon was usually a cheap gun taken off a suspect (punk) with the serial number filed off. A cop would never shoot an unarmed suspect. He would throw down his "throw down" gun and say "the guy had a gun." It's hard to do that now with video. They told me all kinds of stories "from the good old days' that would curl you hair. It really was, as you say, cowboy stuff.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

The hits just keep on coming

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

To be honest where ever you are, if you carry any sort of weapon, be it a club, gun or knife, whether your using it, carrying it for threat or protection you are expecting some sort of conflict and it will end messy. Any body who carries a weapon and threatens anybody must expect some crap to come back. people saying they have a gun must expect to be shot by Cops, or another gun toting looney. If you brandish any weapon you surely must expect the consequences if the Law or anther person has the same.

People get into fights all the time, if you leave 2 guys fighting with no weapons and no intervention, they will beat ten bales out of each other until 1 is supreme so to speak. Weapons normally make a fight shorter. Normally. Arguments escalate and having weapons makes it messy.

it can be a violent world.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!