Flat bars or Tuono!!!

General Bike chat
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Re: Flat bars or Tuono!!!

Post by firestorm_al »

Just to throw something else into the mix, I have been suffering bad left wrist pain caused by the position of the clip-ons on my Falco. I never had any issues on my FireStorm (although I was younger then).

I have ordered up a set of ABM Multiclip Tour adjustable clip-ons to try and dial in the comfort on the bike without resorting to flat bars and all the clearance issues that those can bring. If I can improve comfort but still retain the standard look of my bike I will be a happy man.

http://www.bikermart.co.uk/proddetail.a ... =Multiclip

Al.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Hey BTT,

Thanks for the compliment! A lot of hard work, although very rewarding to boot. Love giving my mates with much newer bikes the shits when I stay with them and in some cases go round them.

All of us on here know that the Storm is more than the sum of it's parts, and if you happen to mod some parts it lifts to a different level and rewards you.

I think that a big part of the Storms charisma is the much maligned carbs. my thoughts are that with an E.F.I bike once you have mapped it that is where it stays, not so with the Storm.

Do a carb synch and get it right and the sun is shining, to me it's the involvement that gives pleasure owning A VTR.

The other bikes get fettled and stay that way where as the Storm is a continual involvement.

The other bikes become like a bit on the side if you know what I mean. When you ride them it feels as though you are almost cheating on the Storm. Not that I have any experience at that Ahem!

On another note I fitted a set of Dan adjustable bars to the 848 and it is now much more comfortable.

Like all Dan bits these bars needed some mods to work right for me but the desired result was achieved at a minimal expense of approx $140 OZ and a couple of hours.

Sounds like it's flat bars or bar risers then Eh?
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

kenmoore wrote:Hey BTT,

Thanks for the compliment! A lot of hard work, although very rewarding to boot. Love giving my mates with much newer bikes the shits when I stay with them and in some cases go round them.

All of us on here know that the Storm is more than the sum of it's parts, and if you happen to mod some parts it lifts to a different level and rewards you.

I think that a big part of the Storms charisma is the much maligned carbs. my thoughts are that with an E.F.I bike once you have mapped it that is where it stays, not so with the Storm.

Do a carb synch and get it right and the sun is shining, to me it's the involvement that gives pleasure owning A VTR.

The other bikes get fettled and stay that way where as the Storm is a continual involvement.

The other bikes become like a bit on the side if you know what I mean. When you ride them it feels as though you are almost cheating on the Storm. Not that I have any experience at that Ahem!

On another note I fitted a set of Dan adjustable bars to the 848 and it is now much more comfortable.

Like all Dan bits these bars needed some mods to work right for me but the desired result was achieved at a minimal expense of approx $140 OZ and a couple of hours.

Sounds like it's flat bars or bar risers then Eh?
What did you have to do to the Danmoto bars?
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Replace all of the shite original crap fasteners with 316 Stainless Allen head bolts, all slightly longer than the original bolts.

Used copious amounts of Loctite and made some new brackets for the brake and clutch master cylinders.

I had a set of Helibars on it after a mishap at Eastern Creek and the were uncomfortable compared to the originals.

That is what necessitated the change, and so far the Dans have been good.

Much higher and much much more comfortable.

I am not afraid to use Dan Moto products, however every time I use them I find some imagination and slight mods aid when fitting them to any bike, after all they are usually copies of a better known brand at a fraction of the cost.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

does anyone know what height of bar rise you can have, before it starts to interfere with the fairing. I was thinking of trying out some woodcraft bar risers.
I assume it's a 41mm clip-on, but as for height, you can have anything from 10mm to 70mm. I was thinking along the 25 to 30mm would be ok, can anyone have a little measure to see what sort of clearance there is..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

martyappleything,

Although it is too late for me to do any measurements for you I remember thinking that there was surprisingly little free space as soon as you lift the downward tilt angle of the clipon.

so if you are just raising the height but laving the angle close to std, then you should be able to go up by 1", but if you change the angle [which I think is the key to comfort] then you wont be able to raise the bars much before the bars hit the fairing.

suggest you have a long ride with a flat bar storm and see if that is the direction you want to go.

happy to let you use mine in Devon
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Ride a tunono for a few hours .
I like them but can't ride one longer than ten minutes. Crazy fast but no wind protection
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

lloydie wrote:Ride a tunono for a few hours .
I like them but can't ride one longer than ten minutes. Crazy fast but no wind protection

What!!! no wind protection, mine s not too bad to be honest.And it has a "gay seat" apparently :roll:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Some excellent info there chaps, could probably do with a ride on a converted one but don't know any around me! :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

bigtwinthing wrote:
lloydie wrote:Ride a tunono for a few hours .

What!!! no wind protection, mine s not too bad to be honest.And it has a "gay seat" apparently :roll:
I suffer with wind compression on my neck , the vtr and bird are fine but on the T and naked bikes after ten minutes I'm in pain with or without a gay seat !.

I just don't like matched seats sorry btt
popkat

Post by popkat »

Although the thread title is flat bar or Tuono have you considered any other alternatives ?. There's one bike which I can recommend which fills the criteria of both, flat barred, top fairing, price from £3k upwards, Yam FZ1 Fazer, not the early model the fuel injected one, 06 model can be a bit jerky sometimes, there's a £200 fix for that though, later ones were smoother to start with, 130-140 bhp at the wheel depending on mods, comfy, good handling, better tank range, only 17 litres but goes further on it. Big fun bike that's practical too.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Or a goldwing:-)
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Yep FZ1,s are great bikes, i prefer the naked one and apart from bland colours there great. I never saw one though that made me go, "oooh i like that" like i did when i saw the CB. maybe i haven't had enough next wrenching yet after a 300 mile ride. Still i can always get off and look at it.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Watty

Post by Watty »

popkat wrote:Although the thread title is flat bar or Tuono have you considered any other alternatives ?. There's one bike which I can recommend which fills the criteria of both, flat barred, top fairing, price from £3k upwards, Yam FZ1 Fazer, not the early model the fuel injected one, 06 model can be a bit jerky sometimes, there's a £200 fix for that though, later ones were smoother to start with, 130-140 bhp at the wheel depending on mods, comfy, good handling, better tank range, only 17 litres but goes further on it. Big fun bike that's practical too.
Thanks mate but would have to be a V2/4, just prefer them over il4's :D . Pretty sure I'm doing the conversion on the Storm as there are so many positives to keep it :D ( just need to hear other opinions sometimes to remind me of the positives). Plus they don't sell well and I ain't giving her away after all I've put into her ( time and money). 8O
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

lloydie wrote:Or a goldwing:-)
Piss off! Would rather let you do me dry :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!