Danmoto Firstorm rearsets ( PHOTOS ADDED)

General Bike chat
AMCQ46

Re: Danmoto Firstorm rearsets

Post by AMCQ46 »

from what I can see in the pritures, they are a copy of the Gilles rearsets I have on my bike. with the originals both brake actuator and gear lever pivot bearings are very close to the swing arm, about 2 to 4mm clearance at most. so looks like they didnt copy all the key dimentions for the main mounting plates, or they perhaps used bulkier bearing housing or actuator arm.

I would fix them by spacing out the main plates that mount on the swingarm spindle /frame, then the adjustable plates can be fitted and moved as normal.............but I dont need to as I paid 10% more to get the real ones [2nd hand price!]
AMcQ
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

AMCQ46 wrote:...........but I dont need to as I paid 10% more to get the real ones [2nd hand price!]
GRRRR! Now go and sit in the corner and think about what you said!
Jamie :wave:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

me..........smug???????? never :D
AMcQ
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Was planning on doing my review of them this weekend with photos. As I have had them fitted for over a month now, so I can give proper feedback.

My main finding is that they require a number of modifications to make them usable. Not fit for purpose out of the box, so was initially pissed off. Now that I have them set up, I'm really quite pleased with their function.

I'll give a full review with photos tomorrow. I've been promising for a while!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

looking forward to that Steve :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Any pics as I am about to fit mine? :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Only this one. I took a load of pictures to do a proper review and then my camera broke :(

First off, if you decide you want these, get them off danmotos website directly NOT on ebay. They are like £20 cheaper ~£100 iirc on their website.

The main problem they have is that they dont clear the swingarm when fitted. I have spaced out the two mounting bolts with M8 washers, so that they clear the swingarm. I plan on getting alloy spacers made up to make them more sturdy. I'll get an exact measurement of how much they need spacing out. Roughly 1cm I guess. Without spacing out you can get away with using one of the central mounting positions and clear the swingarm just.

I have replaced the brake and gear toe pieces with titanium Gilles ones as they come with two knurled brake toe pieces. Could just replace the gear change toe piece but would look odd as they are a different colour. Calsport gave quick delivery.

http://calsport.co.uk/products/categori ... handlebars

There is also a problem with the adapter connecting to the brake cyclinder. Instead of a clevis pin, they have just put an M8 nut and bolt through it. So they are pivoting on a thread which I did'nt like. You can either order an M8 clevis pin or replace the whole part with gilles 'Right Hand Brake Cylinder Adaptor Fork' (only £12 for Calsport again, so I did this). I have a spare clevis pin if anybody wants it.

I have replaced all of the bolts with A2 stainless items for piece of mind.

On the positives, the gear change action is extremely smooth (bearings didnt come greased though), they have a good finish and the construction does seem solid, I've jumped up and down on mine to make sure :lol:

I'm pleased with them now. Obviously not Harris or Spondon engineering standard :lol: but I wasn't expecting it for the price. As I'm tall I have mine as far back and down as they will go (not how they are in the photo). They defiantly need spacing out to clear the swingarm in this position. This gives me the more sporty riding position I was after.

Ill take some proper photos when I can get hold of a camera that works. That photo isn't the greatest.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

AMCQ46 wrote:I would fix them by spacing out the main plates that mount on the swingarm spindle /frame, then the adjustable plates can be fitted and moved as normal.............but I dont need to as I paid 10% more to get the real ones [2nd hand price!]
I guess I better not say what I got my Gilles rearset for...... but they couldn't have been any less $$ :angel: :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

kenmoore wrote:Any pics as I am about to fit mine? :beer:
How did you get on? Do anything differently to Steve?
Jamie :wave:
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Fitted gillies ti toe pieces and the original gear change clamp ( or whatever you'd call it) as the one which came with it fits crap. The original screws straight into the gear change rod.

I've eventually finished adjusting these rearsets now and they work just as I wanted :)
bbancsov

Re: Danmoto Firstorm rearsets ( PHOTOS ADDED)

Post by bbancsov »

May give these a try...