Unnecessary Mods ??

General Bike chat
seb421

Re: Unnecessary Mods ??

Post by seb421 »

KarlosVTR wrote:personally i have modded my bike to suit me not anyone else. i am fitting 6 spokes because they look nice, ive raised the tail and lowered the front to make it do what i want it to be a bit easier than it was, cans sound nice. i need to stick decent springs in the forks because they are pap right now and thats it.

but what i think the OP means is referencing the bikes that look like the 'av it' one and the god awful white and pink mess that was on ebay not so long ago.

OP
leevtr wrote:Just a thought, but there seems to be a hell of a lot of people who are forever changing their bikes, to a very large degree, and at quite some expense.
My bike is basically as it came out of the crate ( although I suspect the front springs/oil were done, as its firmer than I remember ) and yet it feels like its on rails to me.
I do have my suspicions that most of these modifications are a waste of time, and the money would be better spent on learning to ride the bloody things..
I really do believe people should stop blaming their bike for their own shortcomings as riders.

negative, if you read the OP it would suggest that he was putting forth that instead of modding the suspension / frame and engine etc you should mod your riding, i don't for one minute think the post was directed at tasteless bling or paint schemes, or at least the way it was wrote does not suggest as such.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Welll done lee, :clap: Sometimes it's harder to write what your thinking on forums than it is to talk face to face :lol: and then we have to take into consideration, where somones from, what era they are from, and thier local lingo etc.
having said that, with your thought process have you ever thought of working for the eu.... :lol:
You could be one of those m8, you are very diplomatic in your posts. :lol: love the golf analogy.
i don't think people who mod firestorms are the issue because they seem to be more mature so to speak, the problem would be with people who have little to no expierience who go and buy the latest 1000cc sportsbike but they've only been riding for a few months.
Don't forget the yougsters tearing around on their scooters.

Mmmmm Just had a thought. I wonder if the word mods (abreviation) came from the mods. Any ex-mods out there :lol:

Seb that video is so funny it's worth posting again.

[youtube][/youtube]
I think the biggest problems is with the cars my self, 17 year old lads young dumb and full of cum ragging about in a ton and half of metal, driving as close as they dare to the car or bike in front that's travelling at 30mph
And smoking to much skunk, they can't handle that either. :lol:
I hate people driving on my butt :!: :evil: :Ball Kick: :x as much as cagers on mobile phones while driving.

I expect the majority of us were young and stupid at one stage and have made some mistakes. I've certainly had my fair share, learn the hard way me!

(:-}

[edit]
negative, if you read the OP it would suggest that he was putting forth that instead of modding the suspension / frame and engine etc you should mod your riding, i don't for one minute think the post was directed at tasteless bling or paint schemes, or at least the way it was wrote does not suggest as such.
It certainly did come across that way.
==============================Enter the Darkside
boz

Post by boz »

Interesting rant, I mean post fella. I like to personalise my bike as much as the next man and thats my choice, But one thing I'll always advocate is that you might be better making sure you got the very best helmet, leathers, gear etc you can afford. At the end of the day though, each to their own and rightly so. sh1t, some of the heaps I used to ride as a teenager were shamefull but that's what makes memories.
CBR900rr Fireblade
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

Tell it to mr rossi see if his bike is standed from a show room

bet its not and hes a super dooper ace rider :lol: :lol:

He could leave most of us on a scooter :lol: :lol: well apart from valentino benny :eh: :crazy: :beer:
Loud pipes save lives!
dragonback

Post by dragonback »

ditto marty , i enjoy it , i work extra for the money that allows me to to it ,its my hobby if you like .i had no complaints with the bike before the front end change , just wanted the option of havin more options !!fully adjustable ohlin internal upside down job , oh drrooolll , lol
DOES THIS RAG SMELL LIKE CHLOROFORM TO YOU ?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I just like messing about with spanners before they make it illegal.
I like the cerebral game of trying to improve on something that the R+D departments at Honda haven't done (to be fair, mostly for cost reasons, not because they can't).

And I like to personalise my bike to make it suit my own style of riding, what I want to look at, and be seen on.

I don't knock other people's ideas, the way they ride, or the colours of paint they prefer.

Actually, if everyone copied me and made their bikes the same as mine, I'd die of embarrassment.

Lastly, I like to be able to tell my bike from rows of identikit latest models in the pub or cafe car park.

For me this is a bit like religion, in as much as I don't mind what you think about it, as long as you don't try to force it on me.

Anyway. for me, more power is never enough :D

But I respect those who tune for fuel consumption, although maybe starting with anything except a Storm would help enormously.....
And those who for personal comfort reasons fit high bars, for example- I wouldn't myself, but maybe if I had a bad back or injury it might help me stay on the road.

And you know what?
I like to show off, too.
It's good for my self-esteem.
Sometimes by being clever, sometimes by adding a bit of lightweight bling that no-one else has (yet, eh Marty?) and sometimes, just sometimes, by doing things that other people seem to respect.

So please don't presume to try to tell me how I should live my life, or what choices you'd prefer I made.
It'll only make me angry, and I ride like a complete wombles when I'm angry.
Now go for a nice ride, or a not nice ride, whatever you fancy, and relax.......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

Well said tony I was thinking the same just couldnt be arsed writting it all :lol: :lol: :wink:
Loud pipes save lives!
lloydie

Unnecessary Mods ??

Post by lloydie »

Each to there own .
It took me years to find a bike I gel with .
But I needed to make it Easier for me to ride (bad back) and I like to tinker . I enjoy working on my bike more than I do riding it . It keeps my hand busy and stops me from going mad (madder) lol
I do like all bike standard and modified
But best of all I like taking the piss out of power rangers with flat spotted tyres on a new bike lol
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Leevtr probably wish's he hadn't started this topic now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(:-})
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote:

Actually, if everyone copied me and made their bikes the same as mine, I'd die of embarrassment.
Right everybody from now on NO cleaning you bike!...... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
neil

Post by neil »

I must admit I'm guilty of unnecessary mods on my bike. The bulldog clip on left handlebar where I keep my bridge toll money is unnecessary now as the Humber Bridge is now toll free for bikes
redvtr
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

cybercarl wrote:Leevtr probably wish's he hadn't started this topic now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No not at all, got people thinking, whether they agree or not. Stll have to laugh at the people who insist on Ohlins and Supercorsers, and ride around with 2 inch chicken strips.

Theres a bloke who gets up my local bike meet, got a spanking Gixer thou, every conceivable extra fitted, including one of those action cams, and I think he rides with stabilisers on the bike. Makes me chuckle !!
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I must admit some people take it to the extreme's! but that's their choice! I wonder how many do it just to update/fix the bad parts the manufactures done to keep the price down. And how many for comfort or just to show off.
If I had the money, I would buy the best you can get. A combination of fixing the faults, bits for comfort, and a bit of bling to show off. But it is interesting to see what others have done. I get ideas/inspiration from that and my bike will end up looking like a mix of what everyone else has or not got. I don't want to deter away from the storm look too much as that would not be a storm then, and be a custom bike in itself. Now that would be a dream come true for me! If only I had a garage, all the tools etc and off course the time. I would resource all the parts starting with the frame and build something totally unique.
Theres a bloke who gets up my local bike meet, got a spanking Gixer thou, every conceivable extra fitted, including one of those action cams, and I think he rides with stabilisers on the bike. Makes me chuckle !!
That's funny. :lol: Not a true biker then, just a show off or scared he will break something. Maybe he should have it in a glass cabinet. :lol:

Ride Safe

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Firestorm with drastic weight reduction mods - who needs that heavy fuel guzzling engine anyway....

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... ost5780237
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

:lol: :lol:

I always mod my riding because
A) unfortunately I'm not blessed with a huge dollop of self-confidence so always doubt myself
B) the weather and other road users enforce me to
C) I take notice of what others, perhaps more experienced and/or talented, share with us

I'd love to mod my Storm (thanks for the list of 'to do' Benny) because:
A) It's mine and I'm unique, so my Storm is as well
B) It will help A) above if I've got better brakes and set-up probably
C) It's fun learning something new and getting to know the bike better
D) It's black and looks a lot faster modded than any other colour, especially custard.