Op Storm Bonny Scotland 16-18th August 2013

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

AMCQ46

Re: Op Storm Bonny Scotland 16-18th August 2013

Post by AMCQ46 »

now OP Storm Scotland is officially over, and we bask in the worm glow of the memories of great roads and Great hospitality................Its time to decide if we do it again next year, and get it planned in earlier this time so more of us can get there.

who else is up for it????????? and I suggest we keep it in August, but perhaps 1 week earlier so Adyf can come and still keep his wife happy.
AMcQ
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

who said Adyf ever said his wife was happy! !!! mine never was until she moved out. ..
im def up for next year. Can more sensible riders please come along to keep me company at the back.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
neil

Post by neil »

It was like 2 weeks packed into our 4 days away. So many memories good roads, people, places. We stayed for 3 nights in B+B in Kirkcudbright (pron. kir-cooo-breeee). The B+B was a real gem, comfortable, clean and breakfast was fantastic. If we go back will stay there again, (called Anchorlee £35pppn ). We made a late decision to join this and glad we did. Rode up through Yorkshire dales, Raining when we set off but that soon stopped and it warmed up nicely so could enjoy the road, but in Middleham went over a jump, Helen landed heavily back on seat and jarred her back so had to ease up a bit.

Yorkshire Dales road out of Leyburn
Called in at Bellerby cafe then onto Richmond to go along Swaledale one of my favourite dales, so many times I've been walking, cycling, motorcycling there brings back some good times. The tour de France is there next year so it has been resurfaced, loose chippings at the moment.

Road heading north out of Keld to Tan Hill

Had lunch in Tan Hill Inn, Highest pub in Britain. Very remote, fuel light came on on way there did 21 miles before finding petrol
Went onto Kirkcudbright met others after a good meal in pub. They missed last food orders so had to have a carry out (takeaway). Saturday dawned overcast and as we filled up for the ride the heavens opened. so oversuits on. This part of the day was a blur, a very wet blur, It was good but so concentrating hanging back a bit as I had Helen on the back (that's my excuse for being slow). Onto Ayr to meet some more Firestormers we arrived soaked but satisfied after an epic ride. Rode with them down to Girvan on drying roads.

Turnberry pitch and put golf course

Girvan windswept but drying out

Having had such a good day out on Saturday, Helen enjoyed the roads as well (I wouldn't have liked it on the back) we booked in for another night in B+B so we could explore some more on the quiet roads in the area. to be continued.....................
Last edited by neil on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redvtr
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

great photos Niel, I forgot you had the proper SLR with you........liked your wickerman and Buhda shots too
Last edited by AMCQ46 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMcQ
neil

Post by neil »

Part Two.
I think this was the only problem any of us had , the dreaded puncture for Chris/Al. Easily fixed with tyre plug. Al & I both had a set with us, without it the day would have ended early but half hour fix, back on the move

Sunday ride for Helen and I went to area near Stranraer, coast roads great. Did 175 miles and had good ride around

Helen with some old guy in Port William, he didn't say a lot

Rained on us on the lug of land nr Stranraer so dodging that we ended up at Port Logan, again pub was closed no cafes so went back to Sandhead to eat

Harbour at port Logan

Same again

Low on fuel again so went into Stranraer to fill up, then in rain again went to Ballantrae.

Aisla Craig island

Went back to base on same roads as Saturday in similar conditions (patches of damp). Sunday night went to Chip shop called Polar Bites (I know how to give a girl a good time), had eaten in the pub last two nights so had a change.

Monday ride home. following Al's advice went to Buddhist temple after taking photo opportunity at wickerman (Adyf's effigy)

ImageImage

Buddhist temple

Went to Kirkstone Pass Inn (highest pub in Lake District, is there a theme to the pubs we visit?)for lunch on way back home. Noticed differance in amount of traffic about.

Helen still doing the wickerman
The road the tractor is coming out of is called "the stuggle" if you've been on it you'll know why. Years ago landed with Kawsaki KH250 nearly verticle after taking a jump on it.

We did 870 miles in the 4 days. Really enjoyed ourselves, thanks to all involved.
redvtr
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Polar bites Chip shop is owned by my wifes best friend......best fish & chips I have had and if you book a table you can bring your own booze and have table service............should be on our list next year :thumbup:

and how good was the road from Lockerbie to the temple :D :D :D , that one is still my favorites

I think I came close to 900miles in the 3 days, as I took the scenic & windy road up & down, but it wasnt the miles that got me, it was the hrs on the bike that was tiring! Sunday was 10hr from leaving Kirkcudbright to getting back home, and in that there was only the breakfast stop at 10am and petrol stops, and most of the roads demand 110% focus, and there was a big crosswind on the high moors :D ........ so by 5pm I was flagging and had to sit for 30 mins at a petrol station and eat & drink sugar. even then the next 30mins were tough as my brain wanted to shut down and my riding was not as smooth as I like, and the processing of all the data of speed and hazards was dropping.
I got 2nd wind at 6pm and enjoyed the last strech, but that hr from 5 to 6 was a bit of a low point as it was on the Glossop to Buxton road [the longhill or Goyt valley] which I love but it is both fast &very trickey.......but I was all over the place :(

lesson learned is that you need to stop more and take on brain fuel.
AMcQ
neil

Post by neil »

Yes it was good. I wondered how come most of the others had bottles of wine, all I had to drink was a chocolate milk shake . Helen had the halibut said is was good
redvtr