My theory on carb farts

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
MacV2

Re: My theory on carb farts

Post by MacV2 »

NZSpokes wrote:I want to try a X wing or H wing to see if it could help with this. But as Im currently on a mostly stock system Im not getting farts anyway.
You need more fiber & roughage in your diet then, beans work well apparently... :thumbup:

:fart1:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
darkember

Post by darkember »

[quote="Duffy1964"]Same here my f3 spluttered loads even with pair removal my old yellow 97 plate ran and felt much better to ride, I never got on with my late model storm after wanting one for a while in the end I sold it on and now looking forward to fun on the fighter

My F2 also pops and bangs on overrun pair also removed. In town as long as your in the correct gear and a lot of clutch slipping its all manageable. The only other option, if you don't like it get an IL4 :lol: :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

darkember wrote:
Duffy1964 wrote:Same here my f3 spluttered loads even with pair removal my old yellow 97 plate ran and felt much better to ride, I never got on with my late model storm after wanting one for a while in the end I sold it on and now looking forward to fun on the fighter

My F2 also pops and bangs on overrun pair also removed. In town as long as your in the correct gear and a lot of clutch slipping its all manageable. The only other option, if you don't like it get an IL4 :lol: :lol:
Poping & banging is fine...It's the carb farts were on about, you can feel them through the tank, kind of like a dull thud...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

A sort of a DONK! noise from under the tank, and feels like hitting the inside of the tank with a rubber hammer :!:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

my bike has been set up as it now is for almost 2 years.

I balance the carbs regularly and every now and then when it's least expected it farts.

Runs great at all speeds, engine loads and throttle settings, but farts at the most unexpected times. No warning just farts!

Bit like me I spose, could be the fuel, could be the ambient temp, altitude, engine temp, how my butt is on the seat!

Effed if I know what causes it , however it is one of the things that endears the Storm to me, just when you think" Faark it's going so well, I've finally got it going right" , it farts and you think , bugger there is something not right , and it starts all over again.

Tinker, tinker tinker, welcome to the club!

I do 't experience farts too often, but when I do I just smile and enjoy them for what they are.

A big part of Storm ownership. :thumbup: :wave: :wave:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
darkember

Post by darkember »

kenmoore wrote:my bike has been set up as it now is for almost 2 years.

I balance the carbs regularly and every now and then when it's least expected it farts.

Runs great at all speeds, engine loads and throttle settings, but farts at the most unexpected times. No warning just farts!

Bit like me I spose, could be the fuel, could be the ambient temp, altitude, engine temp, how my butt is on the seat!

Effed if I know what causes it , however it is one of the things that endears the Storm to me, just when you think" Faark it's going so well, I've finally got it going right" , it farts and you think , bugger there is something not right , and it starts all over again.

Tinker, tinker tinker, welcome to the club!

I do 't experience farts too often, but when I do I just smile and enjoy them for what they are.

A big part of Storm ownership. :thumbup: :wave: :wave:
Doubt it will ever be right with the size of carbs on it. The only way would be fuel injection and the SP route.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

I'll try to remember what I found out about this subject but it has been over 10yrs since the last time mine did it so it is a bit foggy on what I did...... :angel: :lol:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I believe adjusting idle to 1500 helped me, I don´t have any carb farts. Anyway, with higher idle I feel better overall.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Stephan wrote:I believe adjusting idle to 1500 helped me, I don´t have any carb farts. Anyway, with higher idle I feel better overall.
That can help but I keep my idle between 1000 and 1100 rpm and I have no issues. :thumbup:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

8541Hawk wrote:
Stephan wrote:I believe adjusting idle to 1500 helped me, I don´t have any carb farts. Anyway, with higher idle I feel better overall.
That can help but I keep my idle between 1000 and 1100 rpm and I have no issues. :thumbup:
main reason for higher idle is my ride feels smoother, maybe there won´t be any with lower idle, as my bike is now far from stock :-)
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

MacV2 wrote:
NZSpokes wrote:I want to try a X wing or H wing to see if it could help with this. But as Im currently on a mostly stock system Im not getting farts anyway.
You need more fiber & roughage in your diet then, beans work well apparently... :thumbup:

:fart1:
For me that is not an issue. :wtf:

Just ask the Wife.....
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

NZSpokes wrote:
sirch345 wrote:I've heard a few different opinions on what causes this, but your thoughts on this are new to me.

The odd thing is, why do some Firestorm/Superhawk owners experience this, while others owners don't seem to get this problem at all,

Chris.
This I cant answer but I do wonder if it has to do with atmospheric pressure and how worn carb components are. Air filter and how well it is sealed will play a big part.

Im happy to be proven wrong. I wonder if the bikes with the H wing have farts. my guess is they don't.
I personally think it may have something to do with atmospheric pressure as when my bike used to do it, it wasn't on a daily basis. I could go for days with it not happening once, then it could happen three times in one day :crazy:

I know this is going against your theory, but I ended up leaning my bike off slightly, this seemed to help. Now whether that was due to more miles being covered (the bike had only done less than 5,000mls when I got it) or the freer flowing cans I fitted, I don't know,

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

If you give it the beans it's going to fart !
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Heinz to that!
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Stephan wrote:
8541Hawk wrote:
main reason for higher idle is my ride feels smoother, maybe there won´t be any with lower idle, as my bike is now far from stock :-)
No worries.... for me I use the idle speed to tune the amount of engine braking.
Want a little less, turn the idle up.
Want a touch more, turn the idle down. :thumbup: