Cough, Splutter, Stall, Stop..............

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

RQ,

there is NOT a fuel pump on the VTR Firestorm, two pipes come of the tap and go straight to the carbs. The connector on the tank is for the low fuel sender unit.

Del.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Fuel Pump? Fuel pump!!sh1t I can't find mine.
Guess it must have fell off :wink: :wink:

Pete.l
RQ

Post by RQ »

Seriously??????????? 8O Ah nuts, well that would explain why I couldn't find the friggin thing!!!!! :oops: :oops:
Damned Haynes manual making a tit out of me again!!! :evil: I was wondering where the pump fitted into the scheme of things, as the pipes went in direct to the carbs, but the maual said that the pump was down near the oil filter, didn't make a whole load of engineering sence. Yep, it was the Firestorm manual!!
Well, I guess the problem isn't with the pump so!
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

but the maual said that the pump was down near the oil filter, didn't make a whole load of engineering sence.
Found IT!
Have a look inside the exhaust. Apparently it sucks the fuel all the way through :wink:
Pete.l
You Know it makes sence :roll:
RQ

Post by RQ »

Whew, so it wasn't a wild goose chase after all. How am I supposed to hear it though if it is inside the pipes, I just tried there, but I got my ear burned. :cry:
RQ.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

:lol: :biggrin :lol:
SuperWheelie996

Same Problem

Post by SuperWheelie996 »

I had the same exact problem with my Hawk. I would take it out, the acceleration was good , then bad , then good , then the power would cut out while i was riding, and it would let out a number of loud poping backfires, the the power would be back. It just got worse in every aspect, the power cutouts got longer , the backfires tured to one single boom that was loud enough to pass as cannon fire. I had my local shop, check it out, they put in a jet kit , replaced the plugs, cleaned the carbs, got a lil better, but still same power problems and stalling out. Finnally took it to another shop, they found it in 15 mins, some wires behind the dash, were severed and some cut, to the starter and some other things. the Mended the wires, changed the plugs again, for who knows what reason, but i dont care, all i know is the bike is running great now. I had previously thought that it was the fuel pump of Diaphram, or such but was happy to find it was somthing so simple.
Jason Terry
UnderDOG

Post by UnderDOG »

RQ´s problem is that he connected the vakuum hose to the wrong place on the fuel-tap.
He connected it to the one going straight down, vertically... Right?
When he should have connected it to the little pipe that goes parallell to the fuel-line to the front carb.

Been there, done that...

The one that goes down does not have the "one way valve" (don´t know what it´s called in English. that the one going to the left have. The one going down is a ventilation pipe for the membrane.

The result is that the bike tries to open the valve, then close it, open, close...

Your bike is only running on the front cylinder, try it by taking of the rear ignition cable...

Weird that it runs on the front though...

//Anders.
SuperWheelie996

underdog ???

Post by SuperWheelie996 »

Your bike is only running on the front cylinder, try it by taking of the rear ignition cable...

Weird that it runs on the front though...

What do you mean ? Im mechanicly illiterate. Among other illiteracies
Jason Terry
UnderDOG

Post by UnderDOG »

Hi.
All of the above was meant for RQ.

I meant that it was weird that my bike ran on the front cylinder when I had had the exact same problem as RQ.
If the rear carburetor doesn´t get any fuel, why does the front get enough to run?
Maybe because the fuel has an easier path to run to the front carb or maybe because the valve opens in such a way that it only opens to the left outlet when you connect the vakuum hose to the wrong pipe?

I dunno, but those are my two best guesses.

//Anders.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Thanks UnderDOG, I'm here at work reading each line of your posting and saying yes, yes, YES!! It is very possible that I connected the wrong hose to the wrong pipe in frustration.
It is running on both cylinders all right, but Jayzus (sorry MDJ :wink:) the backfiring is mental, and with President Bush in this area this coming weekend with half the army and secret service, I'd end up shot if I took it out!!
I'll try it when I get home and let you know.
Cheers,
RQ.
UnderDOG

Post by UnderDOG »

Can you remember if you connected it to the one going down?

It only took me 10 hours and 5 complete disassemblies of the carbs to figure that one out... Just to comfort you..

//Anders.
RQ

Post by RQ »

To be honest, without looking at it I can't remember, but it is highly possible!.
With your help I may have only disassembled the carbs twice, but it has been in my garage for two weeks now, and I have the need to go for a burn after a really crap week at work!
If this works, I'll drive to (The Netherlands??) and buy you a few beers!
RQ.
UnderDOG

Post by UnderDOG »

Since I live in Sweden, it won´t do much good :-)
You should drive to Sweden while your´e at it instead :-)

Theres nothing like popping a few wheelies after a bad week at work...
Puts the smile back where it belongs.. on your face!

I got mine sorted the other day, but I haven´t really missed anything, the weather here in Svecia has been crappy as hell for the last few weeks...

//Anders.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Aaahaaaa, updated your profile! Gothenburg, isn't that where Batman came from??!? A drive to Sweden, how many petrol stops would that take to do 8O
RQ.