US Dynojet kit.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
belerathon

Post by belerathon »

no mjd i dont, as a motorcycle mechanic and a race mechanic i have a little idea of what i am doing. if you find them ok then fine its your bike.
my storm is a std except for micron cans well set up engine and sussy wise and i keep up with or pass most 1 litre kit.
without getting to technical all jap bikes have a flat spot around 3 to 3500 rpm, this is to get through noise testing and is usually built into the advance curve.
all a dyno jet kit does is move that flat spot to another area usually where the average rider wont find it.
have a look at the nasty needles they supply, like a bloody knitting needle then look at the well designed multi taper std and which do you think works better.
as a QUALIFIED (city&guilds and hnc) with many years engine experiance in bikes and formula 1, i offer my opinion dyno jets kits arnt worth a shite, if you chose to use them thats your choice mate.
but someone on here asked for a opinion i gave my proffesional opinion.
which is save your money get it set up well first.
ps. mine produces 107 rounded off at the back wheel and has done 42000 miles from new. so you point is ????
MDJ

The point is

Post by MDJ »

I'm happy for you. My bike increased by 5bhp over standard and carburates a lot better. The power curve has no dip NONE (it did as standard). I appreciate you may have a lot of experience but you sound bitter ( similar to someone bitter from a bad relationship) I've only ever had good results, I believe its due more to experienced setting up by qualified Tuners rather than due to the Kit itself but that doesn't make the kit crap, does it. Basicaly CHIL OUT!!!
belerathon

Post by belerathon »

gosh mjd, i thankyou for the pshycological profile, which infact is so far of the mark i can only assume its not a proffessional opinion.
as for the bitter i am unaware that i made a personal attack as to your person or mental condition.
i pointed out my opinion of a overpriced underdeveloped after market product of which i have a lot of experiance of trying to rectify post fitting problems from both dealer and diy owners.
you also appear to endorse my opinion that a well set up std engine is more than adeqate by your own statement if set up by experts rather than one such as yourself.
you also endorse my factual statement regarding the flat spot as std, which you now cannot find ..... this as i previously stated is normally now in a range that the average rider will not find on the road as he is likely to kill himself or just does not ride fast enough.
i also believe you have only owned the bike for a month?? but will stand corrected on this point i am sure.
as you have so kindly assessed my mental state may i pass comment on yours and call it quits.
you come across as the local public house font of all knowledge and read to many emap publications, i may of course be as of the mark as yourself
thankyou and enjoy your storm.........the iceman
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

MDJ,

I thought the iceman (belerathon) would have answered the effect of drilling the slides with his list of qualifications (C&G, HNC, M&P, KFC):lol: , joke mate. :wink:

Err, thinking about it me thinks it will increase the speed at which the vacuum builds up inside the slide which will make the slides open quicker. Good for wheelies (and low gear accelaration) but the bike will bog down quicker in the higher gears on full throttle ( as the slides will open too quick) so you will find yourself winding the power on in 5th/6th abit more.

Could be bollox, if so I'm sure I will be told :cry:

Del. (U in english if that helps)
steve trow

wow

Post by steve trow »

Hey,
come on guys theres less bitchin on eastenders :D 8O :D

I think dyno jet kits are great. especially when the person you have just bought the bike off has paid a fairdinkum of cash to get it fitted and 2 hours to set up correctly to make it go better. Mine had 97 bhp at the back wheel as standard. it popped and farted on over run, cut out at the lights, it also felt a bit wheezy.( according to the previous owner). Then with 1 k+n stage 1 dynojet and decent cans and hey 109 at the rear, it no longer farts like michael barrymore at a pool party, doesnt cut out at the lights and whacks most bikes through the twisty stuff.
Ive seen the bike wheelie off the throttle and snick right through the box up to sixth gear! ( not with me on it though :oops: Nuff said really!

Think about it, mr hondas factory churns them out all the same and gets it fairly right. They dont spend a few hours on each bike tweaking um up individually. Dynojet spend far more time researching and developing this part of the bike and invest a lot of time and moneyin the process and recoup cash on it based on proven performance.

Anyone for handbags at dawn ?
:wink:
belerathon

Post by belerathon »

hi steve well put point, probably better than the way i put it.
but again you look as if in essence you agree with me. no honda dont have time and again your bike puts out 109 mine puts out 107, but its std apart from the cans and they give it nowt (yes i have done back to back tests).
ok i have had my storm from new and know it inside out (97 on a P) all i am saying is you could get near the same results from a std bike and if anyone thinks they can feel 2 bhp difference they are in cuckoo land.
i absolutely disagree with the research costs between honda and dynojet.

anyway, i am new to this forum, and offered my opinion on a well marketed waste of money (and in most cases a good way to ruin a good set of carbs) i was not offering my commercial services as i have more than enough work, for that i was subject to a personal attack.
if i was in a piss taking type forum such as the mcn site or the general topic on here i would expect and dish out piss taking abuse, no problem.
and i took delmeekc as a ribbing.
so in future without wishing to sound chulish i'll keep my opinion to myself.
and let the emap readers and the commercial enterprises lend their advice.
MDJ

Belatherthon

Post by MDJ »

Thanks for the patronising crap, The bike is reved fully thanks Chump. My eyes can read the graph too. And sorry Mystyg meg I've had the bike longer than that. No hole. I don't need your Holier than thou attidude, it earns you NO respect NONE.
MOST poeple on this site are easy going try it, don't "Holier than thou" or patronise people and you may gain some respect. :lol:
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

You are correct Delmeekc. The slides will lift easier or lift earlier. This in combination with the altered fuel supply (jets / needles) will increase power output and throttle response.

I know I have a M.Sc degree. :oops:
Last edited by petrolhead on Sat May 15, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDJ

Thanks

Post by MDJ »

Cheers Del and Petrolhead for answering that query.
RQ

Post by RQ »

And to think I only got around to reading all these wonderful cheery posts now!! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O Jayzus lads......
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
belerathon

Post by belerathon »

mdj, and you accused me of being bitter and stressed, mirror mirror on the wall me thinks.
to all you reasonable chaps out there enjoy yer storms cant be doing with the likes of the mdj tit.
anyone around the peterborough area want to have a storm get together and ride out drop a line.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

This is getting boring now
Rich.

Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I am not taking sides in a personal dipute here

BUT

I've had conversations over the last few years with 3 different, unrelated tuners. All 3 have said that they would NOT fit a dynojet kit themselves

REASONS
The first (and most significant) is that due to the poor machining on a lot of the dynojet needles, they can act like a file going in and out of the jet hole in the carb body. Over time this causes the hole to go oval and you will NEVER be able to get the fuelling right from this point on. As the hole is cast into the body of the carb the ONLY cure is replacement of the carb.

Secondly, the kit contains nothing else that these tuners did not have access to themselves so was an unnecessary expense

IMHO what the kit is designed for is to allow a reasonably competent bod to install himself
(or herself -oh who AM I trying to kid!! I would NEVER let my wife loose on anything mechanical and cannot think of a single female who I would -but I digress)
With no setting up or dyno time the setup will be pretty close, the punter will be pleased and the reputation continues

Ben
Last edited by Stormin Ben on Sat May 15, 2004 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

8O kin hell 8O
Go away for a week and look what happens :roll:
Pete.l
steve trow

Hmmm

Post by steve trow »

Maybe I was wrong about the bitchin in eastenders afterall.......

A storm gathering in peterborough? 8O Isnt that the home of EMAP?

:roll: Point taken about personal opinions and respect to all who stick by em :lol:
Im pretty new to this site but firmly believe that insults are childish and have no place on ths forum.

p.s my storms faster than yours ner ner na ner na! :wink:

oh and my dads bigger than your dad :D :D .

:wink: :wink: Anyone up for a run up Llangollen? Ponderosa cafe sunday afternoon ? Teas a bit like boiled piss but the girls behind the counter a damn cute :twisted: Anyone :?: :?: