Mot Failed! Warped Discs..

General Bike chat
rob's red storm

Re: Mot Failed! Warped Discs..

Post by rob's red storm »

Right then, dial gauge and a bash with a hammer. I can do that! :thumbup:

What sort of stand/clamp are people using for the gauge? I've only got a cheapo magnetic stand bought for a prior job....any ideas? :?: Can borrow almost any form of tool from the workshops at work as long as I know what I'm looking for!

Cheers
Rob
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i didnt use a dial gauge, i used a piece of bracket steel through the caliper mounting holes with a piece of studding & locknuts to find the distance to the disc, set it up to the disc and then when i spun the wheel it stopped on the high spot, so i gave it a whack with a copper hammer.

rinse & repeat. :thumbup:

bit rough & ready but hey. :Beer Popcorn:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
alan g

Post by alan g »

rob's red storm wrote:Right then, dial gauge and a bash with a hammer. I can do that! :thumbup:

What sort of stand/clamp are people using for the gauge? I've only got a cheapo magnetic stand bought for a prior job....any ideas? :?: Can borrow almost any form of tool from the workshops at work as long as I know what I'm looking for!

Cheers
Rob
Rob
I used a standard cheep dial gauge stand and slid the arm off the magnetic base and fixed it to the forks using a mounting hole for the mudguard, just put a washer on the back of the bolt which attaches the mudguard.
Chances are that the disc itself is not warped just the bobbins holing it off centre (could you feel any vibration through the bars when braking?)

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on with the job.
rob's red storm

Cheers Benny, good thinking there! Gives me a chance to fully clean the calipers as well :D
rob's red storm

could you feel any vibration through the bars when braking?
lol...yeah I can! Good job I've not got any fillings!!

I'll have to dig the stand out and see what I can do with attaching it, be a few weeks yet though...on my stag do :beer: next weekend then all over the place after that with work!

I'll post up after the bashing of discs has commenced! :thumbup:
mattster

Post by mattster »

mattster wrote:Morning folks...

Froze my fingers off headinginto town this morning to get an mot, all fine bar the front discs are excessively warped.. :thumbdown:

From searching the forum it appears to be a Firestorm trait!! Any particular reason? I know i hardly use the brakes... i just roll off the throttle!

Been having a search round the internet today. best price appears to be Sandy Bike Spares at £140 for a pair. Considering that's half the price i was quoted by a main dealer this morning, i'm tempted just to jump in there - Anyone had any experience of discs from here?

Finally got the storm legal again!!

I ended up going for the £140 discs from sandy bike spares (Kagizume brand)- read umpteen reviews of them before deciding. General consensus appears to be that unless you're always hammering on the front brakes, they'll do fine.

First set arrived, got them fitted then headed back down to the mot station.... worse than before!! :whatever Did the old pencil test when i got home and both discs had a definite runout.... Callled SBS - no hassles in getting them replaced. 2nd set arrived packaged in oodles of bubble wrap!

Fitted - tested - perfect. :thumbup:

Roll on the nicer weather!! :biggrin