Next bike - BMW F800 GS

General Bike chat
geodude

Re: Next bike - BMW F800 GS

Post by geodude »

Note: My Firestorm is going nowhere. My next bike is to compliment the Firestorm by giving me what the Firestorm can’t.

BMW F800GS

[youtube][/youtube]

I went to Bahnstormer convinced that the BMW F800GS would be my ideal second bike. It makes for a good commuter. I commute 52 miles a day and that’s wasted on the Firestorm, especially during the winter months. It would make a good tourer as you would expect. But the biggest thing it would give me that the Firestorm can’t, well not without huge modifications anyway, is u/off road capabilities.

I get to Bahnstormer and asked to speak to Chris, the guy I arranged the test ride within on the phone. They were all very friendly and the whole atmosphere within the store was relaxed. I felt very comfortable. No pressure, unlike other places I have been. I showed my paperwork and filled out the test ride form and was then taken out to the bike.

Now I knew the bike would be tall but I looked at it and thought “Fook How the hell am I gonna get my short stumpy 30in legs over that?” Now I have ridden high bikes before. DT125, RM400 and others but none as heavy looking as this. The guy serving me, not Chris as he was already busy selling a bike, said “Do you want me to wait or shall I leave you to it?” He looked worried. Lol

I wasn’t worried. I jumped on the bike. With the bike balanced between my legs, only my big toes were touching the floor. I was now thinking that every junction was going to be a laugh. Anyways, I started her up and off I went.

I get a few miles down the road and remembered I had my camera but forgot to set it up. I pulled over, took a picture of the bike, set up the camera and then set off again.

Once on the move the bike felt great. I was no longer concerned about not being able to reach the floor. I tried a variety of roads and along one straight quiet road, I started to play with the ABS. Going along at 40 and jumping on the rear brake on the Firestorm would leave a trail of rubber in its wake whilst snaking all over the show. I did this on the BMW and the ABS kicked in. What a strange yet reassuring feeling that was. At first I wasn’t sure if it engaged so tried again. Awesome. Press and hold the ABS button and a light on the dash comes on to tell you the ABS is off. I can see how that would be really useful.

Now big wide “A” roads on this bike were pretty boring compared to the Firestorm but single track roads… on this bike, that is where the fun is at.

Conclusion

This bike is awesome. No matter the surface, it felt totally planted. The only problem with the bike was me. It was far too tall for my short wide stature, and even with the -3cm the lower seat offers, I would still have problems. It’s a shame as I really like the bike but I don’t think I could live with the worry of it falling over. Maybe I would get used to it and with the engine bars, it wouldn’t matter if I dropped it would it?

BMW F650GS

[youtube][/youtube]

I got back from the F800GS test ride with a confused feeling. I had convinced myself that the F800GS would be the right bike for me. Having ridden it in a variety of conditions I believe it could be except that pesky problem of it being too tall.

I asked the guy at Bahnstormer if I could take out the F650GS. Now, I thought this was a single 650cc bike but I was wrong. It’s the same 798cc engine used in the F800GS but in a smaller frame and with less power (71bhp) and the bike has less features. The upd forks are gone. One of the front disks has gone. The spoked wheels have been replaced with aluminium ones. No bark busters and other stuff. Would that make a big difference for what I needed the bike for? I thought it would until I rode it.

Whilst talking to the guys in Bahnstormer, it was raining heavy outside. Those looking at the bikes outside headed for shelter within. I go out to the tank bag on the Firestorm and get my waterproof jacket to put over my leathers and said “Ready :thumbup: ” The rain started to ease off whilst the guy was looking for a F650GS for me to ride and when I set off, it actually wasn’t too bad.

I headed for the same roads I took the F800GS down. I could reach the floor with both feet. Woohoo!! It felt different but was still great. Having got through the 30 limit, I opened her up and soon found myself catching the guy on the R1200GS who set off shortly before me. Knowing I would get bored riding the A roads, I turned off down one of the single track roads I went down on the F800GS. It was so much fun. The bike didn’t feel as planted but it was still confidence inspiring. Flying down the country roads was great. Even crossing the crap in the middle of the road was nothing on this bike. The front did slip and at 50 it’s quite scary, but it just feels as if the bike wants to stay upright. I was now on a mission to find new single track roads to explore.

Conclusion

I just did not want to take the bike back. I felt so comfortable riding this bike. Will it replace what the Firestorm gives me? Of course not. Will it fill the gaps? Hell yeah. I can see this bike in my garage sometime in the future. I may go back and revisit the F800GS, but for now, the difference in height is too much and I am not brave enough to wear high heels.

If you are looking at bikes for commuting/touring and u/off roading, go try both of these.

Bahnstormer Motorrad Ltd
Gosport Rd
Privett,
Alton
GU34 3DJ
01420 587007
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Are you going to give the new trumpet 800 a spin? Might be a peach.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
geodude

Post by geodude »

Beamish wrote:Are you going to give the new trumpet 800 a spin? Might be a peach.
I've booked a test ride for next weekend :) I may have to push it back though to the weekend after. Either way, a full report to follow :)
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
geodude

Post by geodude »

[youtube][/youtube]
geodude

Post by geodude »

Couldn't wait so bought the F650 GS 30th Anniversary Edition :)

I pick it up next Wednesday
mattster

Post by mattster »

Congrats on the new bike! It looks awesome... :)

Glad you're keeping the storm though! :thumbup:
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

looks and sounds like a superb buy. enjoy it
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

looks good in those colours, and you get free hand gaurds :thumbup:
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

Yeah. I cant wait. I have it armoured up too so shouldn't be a problem when I drop it. Country roads are great. Might even try a bit of green laneing.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice one George :thumbup: I like the colour scheme too :thumbup:

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

geodude wrote:when I drop it.
i admire your optimism! :biggrin
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
geodude

Post by geodude »

benny hedges wrote:
geodude wrote:when I drop it.
i admire your optimism! :biggrin

Well you've seen the video mate :) lol
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Looks great in the best BM colour scheme, enjoy.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
geodude

Post by geodude »

Beamish wrote:Looks great in the best BM colour scheme, enjoy.

Thanks mate. After today's ride, I know I will :)
geodude

Post by geodude »

[youtube][/youtube]