New APE Tensioners

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: New APE Tensioners

Post by sirch345 »

Mick B wrote:
benny hedges wrote:i think you might have overtensioned them bud - back off a turn and try it again until you get it right.
im left with approx 38mm of thread between the top nut and locknut.
Is that from the top of the locknut to the top of the pinned nut. Mine are around 30mm roughly.I may need to have a bash tomorrow.So its best to back them off with the bike running and do you get plenty of warning so you don't go to far fella ?
You can't really go by that too accurately, as the cam chains will stretch with the more miles covered and how hard a life the engine has had, including being serviced at the correct intervals or not as the case may be.

But I agree with Benny, it does sound as if your tensioners are a little on the tight side, or one at least is.

Good luck in getting it sorted,

Chris.
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Cheers again fellas for the ongoing support. Chris I think it's the front tensioner that's tight as that's where the noise is when firing up for a split second .You can hear it on that side for quarter of a turn when manually turning the bike over. Gonna have a bash tomorrow and see how it goes.I think I got a bit excited when tighting it originaly worrying in case it was to slack.
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Final Update

Backed the front tensioner off by around a full turn and locked it off :problem: .No more squeaks and just a little hint of chain noise. Both tensioners are finger tight(not fist tight) and it starts and sounds how it should.Thank you all once again its forums like this that help poor people like me through the struggles in life lol :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yeah, it's not likely to be backed off far enough to allow the chain to jump teeth.

You can safely unscrew one or two turns, after all with the standard ones they retract completely, which (never measured it, but from memory) would be 20cms+.
So assuming a 1mm thread pitch, that's gonna be something in excess of 15 turns before you're in danger territory.

Much more important at present is that squeak, it's likely to be where the chain is so tight that the cam is being pulled so tightly into the plain journal bearing in the head that oil can't keep the parts apart.
That'll very qickly lead to wear, and after a while the risk of seizure and failure as well. Possible outcome is new head and new cams- ££££££ :eek2

So slacken it off a quarter turn and see if that stops the squeal on cold startup.
If not slacken another 1/4.
Last edited by tony.mon on Tue May 04, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Yeah, I had that squeak when I used modified std tensioner that I turned into 'APEs' at the cost of about a fiver the pair. Had them too tight so chain squeaked and stopped quickly on the key too ha ha. Ran like that for only a couple of minures before backing them off to OK. Yes, it is surprising how far you can go winding them back off with no jump problems (does worry you though when you're doing it I have to say).

For info., I now use the tube/stopper system on the std set-up so failsafe and self adjusting too.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Tat_Man

Post by Tat_Man »

Mick B wrote:Just for anyone who's interested. My Ape tensioners arrived this morning from sunny Florida. These have arrived from Gary at overstock in the states. They have taken 4days from ordering to arrive. I was a little worried with all the no fly and volcano stuff going on. If Gary has them in stock he offers a fast quality service. They have arrived quicker than parts I've ordered in the UK at the same time. Very very happy :-)
now to fit them and sort my fuel issues out.
Now i am revved.....

I ordered my APE tensioners 1 MONTH ago with Big CC and was very happy when they said
they would put them on order from the States and to expect them in 7 to 10 days.
I rang them yesterday to get a progress report off them and was told the ' Volcanic Ash '
was delaying everything coming from America...Ok, no worries i told them.
I am not in any real rush to get them but knowing i could have had 'em and fitted 'em in a week! :Ball Kick:
This is what i call poor customer service and will be the first and last time i use Big CC.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Sorry to hear of all the hassles fella. It's a long wait for something you have paid for. Gary at overstockparts offers a good service but if he doesn't have them in stock he has to wait for Ape. I have heard even with Overstock members waiting several weeks for stock to arrive. This is mainly due to Ape though but then throw a bit of ash in the air who knows when they will arrive :(
TUG

Post by TUG »

Where can i get hold of some and how much am i looking at? I need mine soon as i need to get this bike sorted, am worried that the lack of valve adjustment has caused a burnt valve.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

email gary at overstock and ask what the stock is like before you order, how long etc
elcamin0@aol.com

about 90 delivered or ask bazza for some converted ones.
should have some drawings up shortly, as soon as the guy is back from italy lol, print them off & take them to a local engineering shop and its a nice dinnertime job for someone :thumbup:

if you suspect a burnt valve you should do a compression test cold, hot & wet before you consider taking the heads off imo, might be chasing your own butt.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.