what shock

General Bike chat
AMCQ46

Re: what shock

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have a WP on the back of mine, but it is Its a fairly basic emulsion type shock with only rebound damping adjustment [12 clicks] not the top of the range fully adjustable. But it has adjustable ride height [so no need for spacers] and I had it valved and sprung for my weight by Revs Racing [not Revolution Racing, but another suspension shop here in Midlands], hence it is a revolation compared to the over sprung, underdamped showa unit.

That is matched to Roger @ Revolution Racing, forks which are resprung and valved for my weight and riding [fast road, and the odd track day], and I rate both mods very highly.

I know this may get a lot of heated replies, but:
My humble view is that unless you are a serious track day fast group rider, you dont need an all singing, all dancing multi adjustable shock on a Storm..........It already has too much frame and swingarm flex, and will never be a fireBlade.....and even from when I was racing, I know that having too much adjustment can sometimes allow you to make things worse not better.

stand back and wait for explosion :Ball Kick: :Chair Hit:

Get a good mid range shock and spend the savings to have Roger set it to work with your forks and weight, and that will be the best solution.
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

sirch345 wrote:OK OK don't shoot the messenger :thumbdown:

Obviously you must do what you think is best. From what I've read and heard from the experts progressive springs are not all they're cracked up to be.

And just to back up what I'm saying here's what Stormin Ben says about it. He rode his Storm on the road and track.

Chris.
Ha! Not shooting the messenger Chris :D
I remember when Ben Posted that, I couldn't be bothered to argue the toss then. I'm not going to dis him but I'm pretty sure his experience of progressive was all hear say( Most likely from Roger whom is an ultimate font of knowledge of everything VTR) and sometimes having gone one way yourself you are less inclined to be tolerant of other routes people take. Lets just say I've ridden both, on track and on road, I've put progressive springs in three of my bikes and I've had good results (better than stock) on all of them. They are a good, cheaper alternative and whilst I do know they aren't as tunable as a focused linear spring can be (More for the purest track monkey), they do offer cover for a wider range of parameters and road conditions. And as for the bit " the weight of the bike uses up the soft part" What a crock! Every time you accelerate or go over a crest the spring is on "the soft part". You also have the advantage of a very plush ride because the spring will cope better for bigger bumps, harder braking and G out situations without needing as much dampening. So you could also say the progressive spring is less tiring for the rider too.
Try it you might like it, you don't have to follow the way of the Masses :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Pete.L wrote: Try it you might like it, you don't have to follow the way of the Masses :wink:

Pete.l
someone said that to me once - said it's just like having a poo backwards 8O

i declined the offer obviously! :silent:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

benny hedges wrote:
Pete.L wrote: Try it you might like it, you don't have to follow the way of the Masses :wink:

Pete.l

Benny,
Hope that is not related to the "Glass Table" comment in your other post, or to the confession that you have a "bent Spindle" :D :D :D

Sorry couldnt resist,

no offence intended to any people who like bent spindles.
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

AMCQ46 wrote:
benny hedges wrote:

Pete.l

Benny,
Hope that is not related to the "Glass Table" comment in your other post, or to the confession that you have a "bent Spindle" :D :D :D

Sorry couldnt resist,

no offence intended to any people who like bent spindles.
i'm not even going to reply to that comment... :think:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:eek2 :eek2 :eek2

:biggrin
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pete.L wrote: you don't have to follow the way of the Masses :wink:

Pete.l
Pete, going by the replies here I'm not following the masses :thumbup: I'm on my own :lol:

The best bit of advice I've seen so far here regarding the original question is from AMcQ:-
AMCQ46 wrote: Get a good mid range shock and spend the savings to have Roger set it to work with your forks and weight, and that will be the best solution.
Chris.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

AMCQ46 wrote: I know this may get a lot of heated replies, but:
My humble view is that unless you are a serious track day fast group rider, you dont need an all singing, all dancing multi adjustable shock on a Storm..........It already has too much frame and swingarm flex, and will never be a fireBlade.....and even from when I was racing, I know that having too much adjustment can sometimes allow you to make things worse not better.

stand back and wait for explosion :Ball Kick: :Chair Hit:

Get a good mid range shock and spend the savings to have Roger set it to work with your forks and weight, and that will be the best solution.
My reply won't be heated :)
For example I do not need all-dancing shock for reasons you mentioned :wink:
I needed and still prefer shock with separate low and high speed damping and adjustable rebound to match it. E.g. one I can easily setup to ride to Norway and back with my wife and luggage on really really sh...t backroads in a week :lol:
I like my back too much and like surefooted (sorry about that word) feel in any condition :) dual-circuit shocks allow to compensate for bumpy road without loosing composure, so if you do not have to do 600 km a day on backroads each day for week or more or race seriously (which I don't do) - midrange shock with good setup is enough, I actually support this opinion.
Even for trackdays track setup can be done perfectly well with correctly setup shock rather than super-adjustable one.
I'd say basic Wilbers for 340 Euro with 5 year warranty included will do just fine. Leave alone Nitro (reasonable), WP ($$$), Ohlins ($$$), Hyperpro ($$$), Technoflex ($$$), EMC (not worth its price), Penske ($$$), Progressive ($$$), Bitubo (no experience, same price for basic as Wilbers).
I would avoid Hagon to be honest, but that's my personal opinion. Just because I like nicely machined parts :)
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

AMCQ46 wrote:I have a WP on the back of mine, but it is Its a fairly basic emulsion type shock with only rebound damping adjustment [12 clicks] not the top of the range fully adjustable. But it has adjustable ride height [so no need for spacers] and I had it valved and sprung for my weight by Revs Racing [not Revolution Racing, but another suspension shop here in Midlands], hence it is a revolation compared to the over sprung, underdamped showa unit.

That is matched to Roger @ Revolution Racing, forks which are resprung and valved for my weight and riding [fast road, and the odd track day], and I rate both mods very highly.
Out of interest, roughly how much did that lot come to, if you don't mind me asking?
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

WN,

from memory the Forks were £200ish, and that is a rebuild, new springs and the damper valving modified.....and postage.

The Shock was from e-bay and was £230 but when I fitted it to the bike the spring was way to hard for my weight.

The rebuild / damping mods and new spring was another £110. Spring would have been £80 fitted

so the 2nd hand shock was more expensive than planned , I should have done a bit more research and tried to get one with a better matched spring, but it still worked out over £100 cheeper than it would have cost new, and it is perfectly matched for me.
However, it is worth noting that this does take the price close to a new basic shock from Wilbers or Nitro, and a good shop will fit that out with the spring to suit you for no extra cost.

So a budget of £200 for forks and £400 for shock will give you a great setup for a Storm
AMcQ
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

Cheers Mr McQ, reckon the old girl's worth that. I'm under 11 stone soaking wet so you can imagine the fun & frolics the standard spring gives me on our bumpy backroads :eek2
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects