Trackdays that people are doing...

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

andy c

Post by andy c »

Timbo wrote:Zak - that doesnt look good at all mate, hope it mends easily and without too much distress to the bank account. Tell your insurance it happened on the road :)
Tell them it was Sunday somewhere around Matlock :wink: Loads of witnesses to that Diesel spill :wink:
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

andy c wrote:
Timbo wrote:Zak - that doesnt look good at all mate, hope it mends easily and without too much distress to the bank account. Tell your insurance it happened on the road :)
Tell them it was Sunday somewhere around Matlock :wink: Loads of witnesses to that Diesel spill :wink:
Don't tempt me....I seriously thought of this as I spent 2 hours trying to get a fooking throttle cable onto the throttle bodies on Monday night.

Its a bloody expensive lesson learnt (especially as the radiator is also FUBAR'd....£200 gone today on a 2nd hand one :mad2 )...don't use road tyres on a trackday if you are pressing on a bit. The only bit of plastic left is the front mudguard......a brand new set of fairing is over £1K...meep 8O

I could go for these but they will knock the resale value.....
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Jesus stev you ok m8??? 8O
Didn’t realise you’d had an off
Haven’t see the pic’s as I’m not a member so hoping that it’s not to bad but by the sounds of it its bad enough :(
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
gilson

Post by gilson »

After Timbo's advice, I registered. FUBAR all right.... gutted, at least you weren't airlifted to hospital as per the last chap at Rockingham.. poor sod, I hope he's OK...
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

warby221 wrote:Jesus stev you ok m8??? 8O
Didn’t realise you’d had an off
Haven’t see the pic’s as I’m not a member so hoping that it’s not to bad but by the sounds of it its bad enough :(
Hi mate,
Thanks for asking.

I'm OK-ish (elbow is black and blue, lower ribs are hurting- even through all the "natural padding 8O ). I landed on my elbow which clarted my ribs.....will get an X-Ray if not improved by the weekend

I am not as sore as my wallet....it was butt-raped to the tune of £1200 last night......2nd hand radiator, fairing bracket and a new set of Repsol plastics 8O Luckily, the frame, swingarm, forks are OK.
Heres the gory details:
Me thinks that a track bike is in order....
warby221

Post by warby221 »

As long as your all right that’s the main thing
The bike can always be fix m8
Was thinking of a track bike myself as sending your bike down the track is bloody expensive (as you know) and kind of inevitable while your finding your limits. That’s why I haven’t bothered with a track day yet
Hope you get it sorted stev
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

the natural padding done its job them, up the kebabs. good to see you survived without too much pain, good adrenalin rush though, come down with the wallet..ouch.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I just booked trackday @ Lydden Hill this saturday 11th october.

There were a few inters & advanced spaces left when I phoned...

...probably too late, but anyone else interested / going ?

http://www.lyddenhill.co.uk/

PS weather looking very nice indeed.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Ouch!
Jeez! Sorry to hear about the off Steve I've been away sunning myself and missed your first post.
More importantly ( Now we know you are okay) was it fun before the off? How was the CBR before it let go?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Thanks for the comments Pete.

The bike now looks like this:
Image (sorry about the crappy phone picture quality).

I am waiting for a new screen and a bar weight, then I am good to go. I took the opportunity to fit an 06 rear shock linkage (the same as the 04 HRC link) and an shock of a CBR1000 RR6 (the 04 one is notoriously overdamped and over sprung).

Prior to the off, it was mint. I had lowered the gearing by going down 1 tooth on the front and up 1 on the back. It was touching the redline in 6th along the back straight at Donny..topping out at a genuine 155MPH (Speedohealer ftted, see). Lowering the gearing made a massive difference to the feel of the bike...it was wheelying at over 135MpH under the bridge on the back straight (where the bump is).

Mind you, the lowered gearing may have contributed to the off.....bit too much gas when leaned over and the back spun up and deposited my sorry ass on the tarmac.

The only thing I would say is that the novice section contains too much of a wide skill level. When I started at the front, I was lapping people after about 3-4 laps. Going into corners 30-40MPH faster than others can't really be safe. There were 2 other blokes that i could run with in that group, but the rest were way slower (I guess that is why the Novice group is there), including a guy on a really nice Castrol SP2, and the slowest Hayabusa in the world. 8O

My two-cents worth....if you have never been on a track before, then do it. It was a cracking way to spend a day, and yes, although I smashed my P&J up, I would (and will) do it again. I will have some decent track tyres fitted (2CTs or Racetecs) though....it was amazing to see how quickyly the front tyre got snottered up right to the edge (I always have 6-10mm of virgin tyre on the front tyre when riding on the road). It was a right laugh dragging the right knee around others at Redgate...and a proper sphincter-clencher getting hard on the brakes for the chicane at Goddards

Anyhoo, another chance to picture-whore (any excuse, eh?)
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Bikes looking good again m8y

I do like the repsoil colours and they suit the bike well

How’s the quality of the panels are you happy with them??
They do look the part in the pic

Nice to see you and the bike are mended
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Thanks Warby. The plastics are genuine Honda ones.....I looked at some aftermarket one (DK Spares) which looked decent quality, but to be fair it would bug the hell otta me if they weren't 100% right (fussy bugger. :cry:)

The ribs are still hurting........blasted things wake me up at night, so I reckon I have either cracked on or ripped the muscles between them (its the ones right at the bottom of the rib-cage that "float". There's nowt than can be done, so I am living with it (proper hardcore :twisted: )
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

That's the Spirit Bud.
Lov the middle pic, especially with the chrome visor 8)
I'd lov to try donny, I recon it's the mecca of track racing.
I must say you surprised me with the sprocket change. I was under the impression the cbr was enough of an animal on track without it.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Pete.L wrote:That's the Spirit Bud.
Lov the middle pic, especially with the chrome visor 8)
I'd lov to try donny, I recon it's the mecca of track racing.
I must say you surprised me with the sprocket change. I was under the impression the cbr was enough of an animal on track without it.

Pete.l
The standard gearing on the 04 CBRs is fairly high (80MPH in first?). Dropping one on the front and up one one the back has transformed the bike IMHO (the 06/07 blades were one tooth more at the back than the 04/05 blades). I have lost about 20MPH at the top end, but then how often do you need 170+MPH??.

You do need a bit more throttle control...the first time I rode it the screen almost headbutted me in first...it now lifts the front in 2nd easily (and I am really, really shite at wheelies).

Donny is ace..Warby and I did the Ron Haslam day in summer, so I sorted knew the rough layout of the track....Redgate into Craners is mega, then the really fast left-hands (Schwantz Curves???) are amazing...it takes a lot of bottle to keep it pinned through there.

I was sharing a garage with a racer on a k6 GSXR (one of Roger's engines- 187 BHP at the rear wheel- meep 8O )...he was destroying a rear slick spinning it up around Craners. Total headbanger, but he was *so* rapid through the corners