Noise help please.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bikerpiker

Noise help please.

Post by bikerpiker »

I've got a strange noise...i think :?
Right lads ,im lookin for suggestions .. I hope im not makin a mountain oot of a molehill here,but im sure the noise wasnt there previously :?

I hadnt been on my bike for a week or two,but went out for a short run today. Sittin at 40-50 mph there is a sort of constant vvvvvvvvv (dont laugh) :!:
It sounds like road noise ,but when i slow down to below 30 its like v v v v v, it sounds as if it's something makin contact each turn of the wheel :?:
It does it even when freewheeling with clutch in or engine off :!:

It does sound like its coming from the front ,so i got home, bike on paddock stand ,and spun the front wheel ,the pads do seem to be biting slightly at a certain point ,but only very slightly.

Would a warped disc cause these symptoms, :?: Brake lever is fine when braking ,no pulsing :!:
Also after riding/braking ,both discs are nearly cold ,they dont seem to be binding.

I spun the rear wheel to see if anything amiss, just a click click click click coming from the front sprocket ,much more so than the noise from the rear sprocket , i shone torch in,front sprocket looks fine although chain is nearly at max adjustment :?

Any ideas chaps :?:
Stevie
Stevie
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

How short was your run out? Did you do any heavy breaking? It could be where your pads have sat on the discs for a while and oxidized slightly and its that anomaly you hear as is spins past the pads. Normally this kind of noise dissappears after a couple of good pulls on the lever though. Did it change pitch on braking?
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Hi ,
Just a short run,around 30 miles.
Trying to think...ehhh, nope it didnt change pitch when braking,only the frequency of it happening ,cos bike slowing down.
I didnt do any really heavy braking,just the normal,poss i should've tried that.

cheers
stevie
Stevie
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Hi mike,
i did think of that,but thought the noise would be constant with a wheel bearing :? :?: ,although it does sound constant above 40 ish :!: Not really sure,ive never had one go on a bike

I did check when front of bike was raised ,i felt no free-play ,but didny want to push/pull to hard when bike was supported with trolleyjack under sump :!:
Will double check tommorrow, cheers

stevie
Stevie
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Lube yer chain you lazy Scotsman lol :P :P :P
seriously prob all thats wrong
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Will do Pete or is it paul :?: :lol: , but i usually dont do it till its rusty :wink:

It,ll be lubed tommorra,,heres hoping thats all it is,worth a try

Cheers
stevie
Stevie
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

sounds wombles. i'll gie ye 50 quid for it
Rich.

Beamish

Post by Beamish »

cupasoop wrote:sounds wombles. i'll gie ye 50 quid for it
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

I reckon Warby is right probably just the chain needs clean and lube, they make some funny noises when left for a while. Hope it is anyway a nice cheap fix 8)
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

cupasoop wrote:sounds wombles. i'll gie ye 50 quid for it
I bet you would Rich

You stick tae yer yamaha tedium errrm sorry TDM :lol: :lol:
Stevie
Mr_Rusty

Post by Mr_Rusty »

Not got anything stuck in tyre tread have you?

I had this once drove my crazy until I realised it was was a nut stuck in tread groove.

Chris
Its a black '98 one
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Nope, i spun the wheel to check yesterday .

Cheers anyway

Stevie
Stevie
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

From bad to worse :(

Thought i'd check tyre pressures,front was sitting at 18 psi 8O ,rather than 32 psi or so,.. havin said that last time i checked was around 8 weeks ago. Didnt expect to lose that amount of pressure ,checked tyre,no nails etc. Thinking maybe that low pressure is whats causing the noise ,but wont know till i ride it :!:

Decided to check REAR tyre pressure , it wasnt registering a pressure on my gauge, I spun the wheel,and saw what i thought was a nail,so got the long-nosed pliers out, it turned out to be a sharp stone. :!: :x

Fkn (excuse my french :!: ) michelin pilot sport with less than 300 miles on it ,punctured right in the middle of the tyre (not in a groove ) :!:

Ive phoned 2 local motorcycle shops ,both need to see it,and charge £23 ish....... £17odd plus £6 odd if balancing is required :!: .........................or i could probably take it to a local car tyre fitter and get it done for a fiver :?: :?:

I think im goin to take it to one of the motorcycle places ........but,....what would you do ...nearly new tyre ,,,would you get it repaired, is it safe :?:

Pissed aff completely noo :!:
Stevie
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Yep if its not near the side wall I would plug it, the repairs are pretty much near perfect. If the tyre was down on tread then replace.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Thats what i like to hear :!:

cheers
Stevie