90%
No, they look a bit sh1t
10%

Total votes: 20

AndyE

DIY number boards

Post by AndyE »

Hi All

I decided to create some DIY number boards by going to my local vinyl shop and buying some white for £7.50.

The inspiration came from two sources:

First: At the 'Ring, a driver I respect called Thorlief Nilssen had his M3 CSL wrapped entirely in white, and it looked stunning.

Secondly: The ducati number boards I've seen on the internet.

Having scratched my front fairing whilst working in the garage, my painting skills are less than zero. I thought I'd use this as a method to cover up a few other chips and scratches too.

So what do you think? Given that I've got two square metres of vinyl left, I can redo them almost any shape, only my wrapping skills and imagination are the limiting factor.

Cheers!
Andy
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

It looks real good mate , :!: but wondering if you were left with any bubbles or wrinkles ,ie around the parking light etc :?:
Very smart anyway :!:

I think maybe these guys do them(don't qoute me),but only as part of a kit . http://tapeworks.com/
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi,

They look OK to me - reduces the custard effect any way :lol:

Seen a red un wi' some on that looked good.
AndyE

Post by AndyE »

Cheers fellas.

I don't mind the colour, I quite like custard.

I've had a silver one, and an orange+purple one (which was later black) so I'm going through them one at a time - the yellow one is the fastest so far.

No wrinkles - there were a few tiny bubbles but I've either popped them or pushed them to the edges, and I'm pretty happy how it looks - some of the stone chips show through a little bit anyway.

Cheers!
Andy
bikermike1411

Post by bikermike1411 »

:D :D :D Look cool to me mate!

I have a custard 'storm too... I was only saying the other night that white boards with gold trim a la anniversary models would look cool. I was planning on tracking down some of the premade ones i've seen advertised, but if you can diy I might have a crack myself!

Where did you get the vinyl? Somewhere like 'Hobbycraft'? And did you do it off the cuff or fashion a template from a cornflakes packet?
Perseverance takes too long....
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

As well as other places,you can buy it on Ebay,i bought some carbon effect sticky vinyll for a previous bike .
Got the fastest wheelie bin in the area now,with it's carbon effect house no stuck to it :lol:
AndyE

Post by AndyE »

Mike

I just searched for signwriters on the yellow pages website and wandered down - asked them for some white vinyl (I told them what I was trying to achieve) and they cut off a big 2m by 1.3m piece for £7.50.

Then I cut some pieces, stuck them on the bike, then cut the vinyl in place. I wasted a bit learning how to do it...

The black outline tape is from Halfords from their rack with the cheesy stickers. I did also buy some silver and gold but I preferred the black.

Given how difficult it was to begin with, I'd be dead against buying a £50 set of graphics and learning on the go - but now I've done these I've got some basic technique!

The people who have voted they don't like them haven't commented - can you post some constructive criticism guys?
What would you rather see, different shape? Different colour? No stickers at all?

Cheers!
Andy
bikermike1411

Post by bikermike1411 »

Sorted, i'll get on it when i can! I'll need some vinyl, a scalpel, 106.1 Rock radio and a bottle of Thirsty Ferret...... :D :D :D
bikermike1411

Post by bikermike1411 »

As for shape... The moron who owned my bike previously took all the transfers off - so theres no 90 degree V-Twin transfer on the tail. I was thinking about making the rear number board a full-sided affair, with white on the tail piece and seat cowl (again, like the Anniversary ones.)

Has anyone got a set of good pictures of an Anniversary one I could compare it to?
AndyE

Post by AndyE »

That 90 degree v-twin decal is exactly why I didn't do full rear number boards - It was showing through the vinyl and I didn't want to tear it off...

Good luck Mike!