Clutch Basket Removal Tool

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Druting

Clutch Basket Removal Tool

Post by Druting »

Hi, i'm stripping down my engine after bending two of the valves in the front cylinder and was wondering if anyone knew where i'd get a tool to remove the clutch basket?

Thanks,
Druting
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I take it you're doing more than just replacing the bent valves if you want to remove the clutch.

The Haynes workshop manual shows you how to make a simple clutch locking tool, to do just that,

Chris.
tony.mon

Clutch locking tool

Post by tony.mon »

Yeah, I made one from the plans in the Haynes manual.
Must have got something wrong, 'cause it bent and I ended up hiring a proper Honda one for the day from the local dealer. Only charged me a fiver, so not so bad.

Got to do it again soon as I've picked up a spare clutch from E-bay and am still trying to sort the savage bite when launching on the drag strip.

on the other hand the bottom end is making horrible rumbly noises so the spare crank might go in as well..... It's looking like a whole weekend not just an evening- bollox.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
BIG STEVE

Post by BIG STEVE »

I am currently reomving my clutch too, i have had it out in the past when the enngine is in the frame....easy peasey in gear back brake on etc.....
Different story when the lumps on ya work bench..... i have seen an inner basket holding tool on the net for £25 quid inc postage 8O
I am going to ratchet strap the engine down to my work bench and use an old chain around the sprocket locked in the vice and try it that way.
got to agree though its a proper pain in the tits without the proper tools. :twisted:
Let me know if you succeed another way. :D

Steve R
sh1t HAPPENS !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

BIG STEVE wrote:
Let me know if you succeed another way. :D

Steve R
Steve,

If you have a spare smooth (steel) clutch plate you can weld (if you have or a mate has a welder) an arm onto that to hold the clutch center while you undo it :!:

Chris.
BIG STEVE

Post by BIG STEVE »

Thanks chris,
Got it nailed now, strapped the bugger to the bench put it in gear and then re inserted the sprocket bolt on the output shaft.
Put a 14mm socket on the bolt with a bar not a ratchet which sat on the bench.
Then used an impact gun on the star nut in the clutch and (que formula one tyre change noise) it was off in a flash.
But I couldnt agree more if anyone has any steel clutch rings from a clutch pack they have changed bung me one in the post cuz you can weld up a perfect tool to hold the inner basket, at a fraction of the cost of buying a holding tool.
I was only changing the friction plates & springs for h/d`s so this was not an option for me.

Cheers

Steve R
sh1t HAPPENS !!!
Trainraider

Re: Clutch Basket Removal Tool

Post by Trainraider »

Well, since I don't have the haynes manual, and the workshop manual is only referring to the "official and expensive" clutch center holder - Could someone scan the page from the Haynes manual showing how and what kind the "easy tool" would look like? :?:
- Hey, get out of that tincan you call a car
'Coz that old thing wont get you far
Don't take a bus and don't grab a cab
'Coz I got a thing that'll drive you mad -
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep. That one makes it really easy.
You brace the handle against the footrest assembly, use a rag or something to stop it marking the soft alloy.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.