Bye bye SP1

General Bike chat
Zakalwe

Bye bye SP1

Post by Zakalwe »

I fubar'd my clutch on the SP1 last week, so it is in dry dock getting new plates installed.

I took a 600RR for a test ride. What a hoot these bikes are! They are a proper little rev-box with great handling. Honestly, the liberties that you can take on them is amazing.

I was impressed with the amount of power that they had (enough to easily lift the front wheel when giving it the berries in 1st). The brakes were great, and they are soooo easy to chuck about. Yes you have to wring it's neck everywhere (surprisingly good mid-range though), but you can wring its neck on the roads (unlike a thou).

But I ended up putting a deposit down on one of these:

So its bye bye SP1.....I wish that i had the garage space/money to keep it......I still think that the SP1/2 is one of the nicest looking bikes that Honda have ever made :(
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Is that the exact bike? I like the colour scheme. 8)
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
alan

Post by alan »

How much is the sp going for??
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Beamish wrote:Is that the exact bike? I like the colour scheme. 8)
Not the exact bike, but the same colour scheme (IMO the best colour scheme for them). It has only 200 miles on it from new (was previously owned by a Honda rep that never used it)

Alan,

It's going as a trade-in....why, are you in the market for an SP1?
alan

Post by alan »

im always in the market for an sp wether i get one thats another matter
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Isnt the one in the picture a 1000?
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Jbrebel wrote:Isnt the one in the picture a 1000?
It sure is. I liked the 600, but opted for it's big brother :twisted:
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Zakalwe wrote:
:D :D :D :P
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good luck with your new bike Zakalwe :D Keep us posted on what you think of it once you've covered a few miles :!:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Zakalwe wrote:
Niiice :P !
I think you'll find it a little bit smoother than the SP :wink:
Some of the guys I know have had the CBR1000 and gone back to the SP cause they say it doesn't have the character. I'd love to know your opinion after you get used to it.
Enjoy
Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Pete.L wrote:
Zakalwe wrote:
Niiice :P !
I think you'll find it a little bit smoother than the SP :wink:
Some of the guys I know have had the CBR1000 and gone back to the SP cause they say it doesn't have the character. I'd love to know your opinion after you get used to it.
Enjoy
Pete.l
I borrowed a mates 929RR and had the same problem. Great all round package, but bugger all "character"... :cry:

Ballastic, great handling package. Comfy as too. Just couldn't get on with it though. Horses for courses I suppose.

Did prefer the tank range to the storm though :P And over 130 (on private roads of course :roll: ) it would pull like it was at 60 :twisted:
Wroey

Post by Wroey »

Zakalwe,

I was committed to the dark side in May ’07 and chopped my SP2 in for a new RR7 Fireblade. I went for the black & gunmetal grey, it looks mint !! To be honest ive not looked back since ! You’ll find yourself still pining when you see an SP but the ‘Blade is so much more user friendly, especially as these days I seem to find myself stuck in traffic & speed limits more than anything.

I found myself riding faster and faster on the SP just to smooth out the poor fuelling at low speed. The ‘Blade is a wonderful bit of kit. You’ll worry yourself for the first few months as it seems like your constantly revving the tits out of it when you’re actually not. You’ll be watching the tach more than the road in front thinking you’ll be up near the redline when your actually only at about 6k. Its just getting used to the four over the twin. Once your hearing is tuned in you’ll appreciate just how easy they are to ride.

I’m saving hard and talking nicely to the girlfriend as hopefully over the next few years ill be able to afford both the ‘Blade and an SP2 for the special occasions.

Let us know how you get on with the ‘Blade ….
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Thanks for the words guys.

I spent an hour or so on it on Saturday, and was really impressed. I did test ride an 03 Blade before Xmas, and was not at all impressed.... (see here), however the later version was a big improvement. There seemed to be much more power, and the handling was better (and I think that the looks are much improved).

The handling seemed much easier on the RR compared to my SP1.....at first I thought that the handling felt really weird (I originally put it down to the HESD damper). I then realised that i was really pushing on the inside bar, and the bike was actually pushing back against me. When I relaxed my grip, the steering was transformed. This has highlighted that my SP1 needs a fair bit of pressure on the inside bar to maintain a corner. The Blade wa a lot easier to get into a corner (less weight?).
Wroey

Post by Wroey »

All that nice talk about the Fireblade and look what happens ....

Received a letter from Honda this morning entitled "important recall information RR6/RR7".

Basically when manufacturing the bike they cocked up the braizing on the fuel tank air vent pipe, thus meaning that when it’s stressed its prone to cracking. It has to go in for a replacement fuel tank ASAP due to the obvious risks of fuel leaks & fire, etc.

Zakalwe - Did you buy yours from a main Honda dealer. If not, id find a friendly one & run it past them, see if yours needs doing