Tool kit

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
rob1n

Tool kit

Post by rob1n »

Can anyone tell me what the bit of steel cable with the Black insulating tape around the middle is, it's in my tool kit and I've seen it in other Honda tool kits but, what is it?
:roll:
Also, the spark plug spanner in my kit is useless, it's big at one end and small at the other I've tried to used a spanner on the small end but the big end never seems to fit the plug, I don't think this is the original plug spanner somehow, did see one somewhere that looked as if it had a moving /swivelling jointed bar at one end of the plug spanner, is this the original one? I must change my plugs and it's pi**ing me right off!

Thanks.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi Rob1n,

The original plug spanner in firestom toolkit does indeed have a fixed 'jointed bar' affair. It is 'waggley' rather than jointed, as it can't be moved very far in any direction, just enough to move it around to locate on the plugs.

Because the plugs are so deep, it acts like a bar extenstion.

From memory it is a hex (alan key) shaped bar approx 8 or 10 mm spanner size and is not removable from the plug spanner itself, so looks like your's has been substituted for a standard PS at some time.

As far as I know, the plastic covered cable in your tool kit is intended to be used to fasten through your helmet and then onto the helmet storage hook under the seat.

Not sure if this is standard kit or not, they do come with Hornet's and some other Honda's but unsure about the Storm though. Wor lass' Aprilia has one in tool kit too.

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll post a picture of correct plug spanner for you later today.

HTH

Graeme

rob1n

RedStormv

Post by rob1n »

Thanks for that,been driving me mad!
Captain Shapeless

Post by Captain Shapeless »

RedStormV wrote:Hi Rob1n,

The original plug spanner in firestom toolkit does indeed have a fixed 'jointed bar' affair. It is 'waggley' rather than jointed, as it can't be moved very far in any direction, just enough to move it around to locate on the plugs.

Because the plugs are so deep, it acts like a bar extenstion.

From memory it is a hex (alan key) shaped bar approx 8 or 10 mm spanner size and is not removable from the plug spanner itself, so looks like your's has been substituted for a standard PS at some time.

As far as I know, the plastic covered cable in your tool kit is intended to be used to fasten through your helmet and then onto the helmet storage hook under the seat.

Not sure if this is standard kit or not, they do come with Hornet's and some other Honda's but unsure about the Storm though. Wor lass' Aprilia has one in tool kit too.

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll post a picture of correct plug spanner for you later today.

HTH

Graeme

It is a 10 mm hex thingamajig on the end of the plug socket.

Whatever you do, don't lose this - you won't get a standard socket down the aperture to get to the plug as it's too narrow.
Black VTR + loud pipes = big grin + many car alarms set off
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi Rob1n (Robin?)

Better late than never I suppose, here's the picture I promised you with one or two additions by yours truly.

If you don't have this, then you may struggle to get the plugs out.

You could manufacture your own easily enough though, if you can lay hands on an old 19mm box spanner from a car boot or auto jumble and a 10 or even 12mm hex bar or old alan key - perhaps from same place.
You'll also need a rivet (or even a thin wire nail or panel pin if no rivet available).
Ideally you'll also want a black rubber tap washer or similar (colour optional)

It doesn't matter about opposite end size of the box spanner as you'll need to cut it in half approx (use dimensions above to know exactly where to chop it).
If using an old alan key, chop the long side at approx 75-80mm, if using hex bar then same length required.

You could probably get away with bar being a little shorter and box being a little longer, but your overall length needs to be 137mm ish to give you the reach into cylinder head recesses.

Drill the hex bar approx 10mm in from one end and the box spanner approx 5mm from the 'dud' end - use a drill bit which suits the size of rivet you have available - the OEM one is approx 2mm.

Fasten hex bar into 'dud' end of box spanner using rivet (or bent wire nail). Then slightly flatten or mishape box spanner to hex bar - you're looking to get a slightly oaval shape.
This shape gives greater flexibility for the plug spanner to get in - on the OEM one it's approx 35 degress from centre in 2 directions.

Finally drill or shape a hole in tap washer (2 glued together may be required) to allow thread or plug cap to fit in - the hole ideally needs to be wide enough at the plug end to just allow the top of the ceramic part to sit in there. I assume this is to allow the plug spanner to grip the loose plug long enough to get it into or out of the cylinder head.

You could just nick the rubber insert out of another 'cheap' plug socket and cut to size.

Oh and by the way, the plastic coated metal band isn't standard Firestorm kit as far as I know.

HTH

Graeme.
Last edited by RedStormV on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob1n

Tool kit

Post by rob1n »

RedStormV, thanks for your help. evry useful will try to make my own, failing that I have noticed on e-bay that someone is selling various Honda tool kits, one that looked promising was a VFR800 kit that seemed to have a plug spanner very much looks like a VTR one, once again, thanks.

Robin. :D
slot

Post by slot »

Sorry post edited, if i had hair this would be a blonde moment, time to crack open the guinness

Thanks Dave :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13114&p=103847#p103847
1998 VTR1000 Castrol-ish (The CCT's have been changed to protect the innocent) :D
1986 YSR250 Project