CCT Question

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Popell

Post by Popell »

I believe so, not sure it would run for longer than a couple of seconds if the vac wasn't opening the tap.
Mind you, I was wondering if I had not fully opened the mechanical side of the tap (8mm square section)
Thanks for the suggestion, it seems from the other link that I may have the timing on the front out by 360 degress - don't try to think about the consequences, it'll give you a headache, suffice it to say it didn't produce the 'big bang' engine that they are experimenting with in MotoGP!!
I think I will do a full strip down, recheck timing and a very careful re-assembly - with fingers crossed.
If that doesn't work then I might just trade it in!!
Paul
Black,Proud and Loud
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Popell wrote:I believe so, not sure it would run for longer than a couple of seconds if the vac wasn't opening the tap.
Actually it will run quite happily up till 5/6/7 thou then, coz the vacum isnt operating the tap, the carbs dont get as much fuel as they need it'll start to splutter.
Rich.

Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I posted on this problem with mine a couple of years ago - bought s/h engine in the end as Roger Ditchfield suggested that the crnak may have been damaged too and hence the timing was incorrect after 6K.

I was never convinced, but the muppet who had the bike in "repair" couldn't find anything else. The new engine also had a similar problem and eventually I went to Chris Ball, Honda main dealer, and the valve timing was every so slightly out. Runs fine now.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Popell

Post by Popell »

That I did Cupa, all now sorted, seems I am too daft to realise that the full cycle on a 4 stroke is 720 degrees, I was out by 360.
Re-did the timing and Wa hay! off we go.
Thanks for your suggestion though, I did check the operation of the mechanical and vac taps after you highlighted them as a possible cause.
Regards
Paul
Black,Proud and Loud
Simonhep

Bike finally running

Post by Simonhep »

Put the new valves, seals etc in and the bike wouldn't re-start even though it was turning manually fine. No motor kick at all with the starter.

After much head scratching, I went back to the forum and read 'cupasoop' (Rich?) post of July. . . .

"have you connected the vacuum pipe to the right part of the fuel tap"

Bingo, put the vacuum pipe on the right tap connector and it started on first press of the ignition. Runs sweet.

HURRAY. Will do a full 'driveway' check tomorrow and then ride it, can't wait.

It's been a long running saga, and some of my mates advised me to sell it!

Thanks for all the help from various people on the forum. What started as a really simple CCT change has taken several weeks to complete, but getting it back together and running myself (almost) has been very rewarding, and cheap!

Thanks

Simon