Hot Starting

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mr Bean

Hot Starting

Post by Mr Bean »

Any advice would be much appreciated.

After a 45min run (read crawling) around the North Circular yesterday I turned the ignition off, went to re-start about a minute later and it seemed that the battery was flat. I tried several times and it wouldn’t crank more than one turn – the warning lights also dimmed to indicate that either the battery was either flat or the starter taking all the battery power

Left it for an hour and it fired up straight away.

I later checked the charge voltage and all was ok at idle, 3,000 and under load. Battery is a good.

Do VTR’s tighten up when hot (temp gauge was reading just under 1/2) so that the starter struggles, or are there any known issues that affect hot starting?

Thanks

Bean
alan

Post by alan »

I would say its the regulator rectifier it was charging enough to go for a short blast when you returned to restart the rr has not put any charge back in i am speaking from experience on my ninja it would start and run then when i come to restart it was the same as yours,leave it a short while then would start again but soon as i went for a ride and tried to restart it was flat i had to bump it home.This carried on for a few weeks replaced the rr it was back to normal,just my opinion.
Phaeton

Post by Phaeton »

Have you got good connections on the battery, starter motor & earth from engine to frame. Are they all tight? Might be worth checking them all over just incase one is going hi-resistance if the bike has been stored anywhere with slight damp or you're riding in rain/salted roads.

Alan...
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanks for your views.

I had ruled out the rectifier as the battery had plenty of charge to start it after a short while and I can’t think of a reason as to why it would be ok later. Maybe something I’ll be forced to revisit later!

The other connections I haven’t checked yet (only the battery) as it was too dark when I got back. As a starter I’ll get the wire brush and emery out at the weekend.

I don’t know if it coincidental but the same thing happened tonight after idling for ages and it getting hot. On both occasions the cooling fan was running when I tried to restart. I assumed there would still be enough current to fire it up?

The bike is run all year round and is stored outside mostly uncovered – too lazy to put the cover on…….

Bean
richard

Post by richard »

mr bean,

put your multimeter on it when the problem occurs and see what voltages you've got - check the voltage on the starter motor connector, it sounds like a connection is breaking or earthing when the engine is hot - you'll have to work back from the starter motor connector on the starter itself..

ricahrd
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanks to you all again for your advice.

Good idea, I'll get the multimeter out again if and when it happens again.

Bean
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

After you've done your checks if that's all ok I'd still suspect your battery. That sounds like a typical battery drop off.

Pete.l
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Can only add that I've never had the problem even in really hot conditions, so the battery connections etc are prob the way to go.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

im having similar problems but its not so much when its hot, more like at random intervals

i get a good set of turns and it starts fine

next minute it cranks once and stops but i keep the button pressed and it winds on speeds up cranking and starts

i think the battery is dead to be honest

the peaks and troughs of power are a bit too peaky
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

Battery was new about 2 months ago as suspected it wasn't holding charge well. Hasn't happened since last post.

When i get to the cause of the problem I'll let you all know.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions

Bean
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

i need an answer to this cos ive just wombles my tank up in a rage cos it just doesnt turn over now and again when its hot
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

My thought would be towards the starter motor itself

Could be a bad connection to the motor (the bolt corrodes away under the little rubber cap)

Or the starter itself is on its way out

Or the starter clutch is sticking
http://motorcycleproducts.co.uk/catalog ... 12727.html

Found a link in google
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec ... 0cd32ffdeb
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

yeah it was at the pumps too

would it be a bearing getting hot and nipping up in the starter clutch assy?

ive seriously wombles my tank up tho :(

blind rage and embarrasment. bad combo
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Hmm - doh :oops:

I've just posted a thread for the same fault!!!! (that'll teach me to read properly eh)

Have you found a cause yet? I know it's not the battery (less than 6 months old - constantly on optimate).

The bike is garaged and very very rarely out in the rain...

here are my symptoms..

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8610
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

I'm with Stormin' Ben here.
We get a lot of grief from Caterham starter motors due to the headers being very close to the solonoid so crawling in traffic cooks it. Usual problem is after filling up at a petrol station and you get the 'click-of-death'! That's the solonoid on the starter not pulling in correctly. All you hear is a click.
Let it all cool down (having faced the shame of pushing it off the forecourt) and leave it a while. It then starts as if there was never a problem!!!

Suspect the 'Storm suffers a similar fate so clean all the starter components as in brushes and make sure all the electrical cables are cleaned too and making a good contact. Use an assembly grease like 'No Crode' on the terminals to ensure all is OK in that dept and....................................................... good luck!!!
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!