Chain adjusters - accurate?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Granty

Chain adjusters - accurate?

Post by Granty »

Hi folks

This is both a tip and a question (just in case I've got it all wrong somehow).

Dear old Honda manufacture chain adjusters with a somewhat crude number of indents stamped into the material for use as a guide when lining-up on each side of the swingarm to align the rear wheel after setting chain tension. Now call me picky, but the overall impression is not one of technical accuracy and I always use a vernier guage to ensure that an equal distance is set on either side.

My previous Honda used the same system and was mildly inaccurate, but not enough to cause worry if they had to be used without reference to any other measure. However using the same practice on my new VTR has resulted in a considerable difference between left & right side visual indicators after alignment is set using my vernier calipers.

For reference with the wheel aligned (hopefully) the left side chain adjuster is smack on the 3rd indented line, while the right side is a full quarter distance further toward line 4.

So unless I've made a big error in measurement (& I don't think I have) then it might be best not to rely too much on the adjuster markings and buy a pair of cheap calipers (in the UK you can get plastic Draper items for under a fiver from any good engineering parts supplier).

TTFN

Granty
SiJ

Post by SiJ »

I use the circlips on the end of the adjusters to measure it. Wind both adjusters all the way in, turn the circlips around till the two holes are at the top then making sure you don't knock or move them count the number of turns out on each side till the required adjustment is obtained.

I've checked it a few times with verniers and it works fine.

Cheers
Si
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

What are you guys measuring with the calipers? The distance each side of the tyre/rim from the swingarm? That's what I used to do on my VF500 (assuming of course that the swingarm is symmetrical).
Man, I miss my VFR, and its SSS with eccentric adjuster.... :cry:
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
SiJ

Post by SiJ »

I measure centre of wheel spindle to end of swinarm with the calipers. You can always do it your way aswell but its a little more fiddly.

You could always fit a VFR sss to your firestorm like Daz Sear if you want the eccentric adjusters back!!!
Si