Seems a bit expensive................

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
LotusSevenMan

Seems a bit expensive................

Post by LotusSevenMan »

.................. for what is basically only a 6mm spacer I feel :!:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=018

Note:- shipping cost @ 8ukp also to be added.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

We're not all lucky enough to have a 6mm spacer included in our bike purchase like some I could mention (LotusManSeven) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only joking mate :!:

Yes it does seem rather expensive for a 6mm spacer, but on the other hand you are getting more than just the spacer, although for 6mm you don't really need the rest. But I suppose if people are buying them who can blame him/her :!:
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

sirch345 wrote:We not all lucky enough to have a 6mm spacer included in our bike purchase like some I could mention (LotusManSeven) :lol: :lol: :lol:
True, but I got one of these for a mate (yeah, I'll get the fitting job!!!)
and it was on auction so a bit less than this BIN price which in itself isn't bad at all considering.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-VTR-VTR1000 ... dZViewItem
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Interesting :!: 8) I suppose it's not really worth making your own for that price.

When you go to fit that would you do me a big favour and measure the difference of height (before and after) it makes (take a reading from rear wheel spindle center to a point under the seat plastic, something that is easy to measure from) because I've not done that mod myself and I've read different stories in what height difference it makes :!:

On a different note I think I'm right in saying that Roger at Revolution Racing (VTR genious) doesn't recommend fitting a riser spacer to the Storm with standard suspension as it can make it unstable, however like yourself I think some members have done it, it will probably depend on the weight of the rider to some extent, but tell your mate to be cautious :!:
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

why do it in the first place?

the storm's steering doesnt need shaprening up unless you're racing them.

on the limit performance just gets you into trouble quicker on the road.

(not to mention I had to replcae my shock because somebody had done this mod)
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I think the point being is that it has been developed by a race team for the track , which can improve road bike handling if you race or track day and ba!!s out style on the road.
as he says you are paying for something developed and that has passed TGV test, wheras if the plate fell out mid corner or the material was low spec you wouldnt have much comeback on them.
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Yep, that's the one (as I mentioned above).
It seems to shift the height by about 25mm (1"). I've not ridden without one fitted and at a 16 st + (ooops) the bike is settled OK. My mate is a bit lighter, fitter etc (git!!) so we'll see when weather gets better as his bike is now on sorn. He has an old LandRover to play with for lousy conditions........... oh and a Porsche too for finer weather. 8O
Spitfire

Spacers

Post by Spitfire »

Revolution warn of tankslappers if using a rear shock spacer with the standard front forks. So beware!

Personally if I wanted sharper steering I'd buy a sportier bike. Simple as that.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Spacers

Post by sirch345 »

Spitfire wrote:Revolution warn of tankslappers if using a rear shock spacer with the standard front forks. So beware!
sirch345 wrote: On a different note I think I'm right in saying that Roger at Revolution Racing (VTR genious) doesn't recommend fitting a riser spacer to the Storm with standard suspension as it can make it unstable, however like yourself I think some members have done it, it will probably depend on the weight of the rider to some extent, but tell your mate to be cautious :!:
That's what I said :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: My memory must be better than I thought :!:

Chris.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Oh, I'll go buy a Suzuki TL then? 8O

The guy before me had this mod done and did nearly 12,000 miles with it fitted so can't be all bad!!!! I mean, it's not like it's not reversible in ten minutes so he must have thought it worked OK and he's just a bit lighter ( :wink: ) than me!!!
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

my suspension knowledge is very limited but surely the spacer changes the rake and thats totally depentant on rider weight and style?
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Max

Post by Max »

I used to use a spacer before Roger sorted all my suspension and I'm a bit more than 16st :?
I had no problems with it, even on the bumpy roads down here. Rogers concern was that with the std fork spacers, springs and valving a heavy rider could cause the front forks to compress completly or hydraulic lock, under extreme braking or really bad bumps, and then the forks would become solid. this could not be good.
I suppose you take the risk, but it only has to happen once and you are in the hedge.
Max

Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Max wrote: cause the front forks to compress completly or hydraulic lock, under extreme braking or really bad bumps, and then the forks would become solid. this could not be good.
NOW THIS I KNOW IS TRUE>>>>>>>HOWEVER..

ive bottomed out my forks on more than one occasion and its never a good thing!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

You're just a lot heavier than you think Squiffy m' lad :lol: