Help with setting up my Ohlins Shock Please!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
thetyrant

Help with setting up my Ohlins Shock Please!

Post by thetyrant »

Hi,
I have just received my 2nd hand ohlins shock and am going to be fitting it this weekend, i could really do with a good set of standard settings to start with...anyone ???....also which adjustment is which....obviously preload ( also remote preload ) is straight forward enough but i have a black collar at the base of shock ( comp damping?? ) and the remote canister as well ( rebound damping ?? ).....once im fairly near i will proably go see Roger@Revolution to fine tune it but would like to get it reasonable first :).

Any help welcome as ever :)

Cheers

Ian
Cumbria - It may be quiet but it has some of the best roads in the world :-)

98 VTR1000 Firestorm in Yellow - Micron Race carbon cans, Ohlins shock, Revolution Fork upgrade.....
94 Mitsubishi Evo2 - 2.3stroker @ 1.8 bar, 400bhp & 420 Ft/lbs..eeek
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

Trying giving Harris Performance a ring.
Lad i know has an Ohlins on his Bandit and it was all to pot. Rang Harris for base line settings and then tweaked it from there.
Failing that, just give Roger a ring, he may have an idea.

Robb
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

The black collar at the bottom of the shock is low-speed rebound (controls the rate the spring rebounds when compressed)

The adjuster on the remote resevoir is low-speed compression (controls how fast the spring compresses)

The high-speed settings (relating to shock speed NOT road speed - if you hit a kurb its gonna use high-speed damping, if you are on an undulating piece of road its gonna be low-speed damping) are controlled by the shim stacks and blow-by needle in the shock itself and are not user adjustable without a rebuild

As a general guide,
Set the preload first,
Then set the compression by bouncing on the rear of the bike until it compress in a smooth, fluid motion.
Then set the rebound the same

Hope this helps

Ben
thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

Cheers for the info so far guys...any more info keep it coming...shock goes on tommorow hopefully...one thing i have noticed is no bearings in either mounting point on the Ohlins....i know the std shock has bearing at lower end..is this normal for the Ohlins unit ?

Cheers

Ian
Cumbria - It may be quiet but it has some of the best roads in the world :-)

98 VTR1000 Firestorm in Yellow - Micron Race carbon cans, Ohlins shock, Revolution Fork upgrade.....
94 Mitsubishi Evo2 - 2.3stroker @ 1.8 bar, 400bhp & 420 Ft/lbs..eeek