VTR F cooling fan

General Bike chat
click044

VTR F cooling fan

Post by click044 »

Hi

I just bought Honda VTR F , 2005 ..

I made my first ride and when I came home on the display showed me 103 oC but the cooling fan does not turn ON ?? Is that ok ?

Thanks fo help ..

sirch345
Site Admin

Re: VTR F cooling fan

Post by sirch345 »

Have a read of this link:
viewtopic.php?p=507386#p507386

Chris.

PS. Welcome aboard :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

It's a pressurised system so the fan should kick in around 104*c.

Next time you ride it let it sit running till the fan kicks in.

It will drop the temp a bit & will keep running when you shut the bike down...

If the fan doesn't kick in around 104/5 & the temp keeps going up then you have an issue.

Is the cap OK, are all the connections secure & not corroded ?

When cold take off the rad cap & check the coolant level. To a point ignore what's in the expansion tank as that's as it says an expansion tank.

Check all the hose joints for leaks...

As the bike is 20 years old has the coolant ever been changed ? might be worth whilst you have it apart to drain & replace with fresh coolant.

You must use a silicate free coolant suitable for aluminium engines.

Drop the old stuff out , the bottom rad hose is the best one to remove but there is a small 8mm bolt on the front of the engine with you pop out to drain the last bits out... Pop the lower hose back on & flush through with clean water via a hose pipe.

Pop that lower hose back off drain completely... Hose back on tighten the clamp, remember to put the 8mm drain bolt back in !

New coolant in, burp the air out buy squeezing the top hose.

Run it up to , let it cool & check the level with the cap off.

Now the expansion tank should have drained out when you dropped the coolant but if it didn't, pop the lowest hose off drain it out & top up as ness.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
click044

Post by click044 »

Thank you very much for the complete answer and instructions..

MacV2 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:03 am It's a pressurised system so the fan should kick in around 104*c.

Next time you ride it let it sit running till the fan kicks in.

It will drop the temp a bit & will keep running when you shut the bike down...

If the fan doesn't kick in around 104/5 & the temp keeps going up then you have an issue.

Is the cap OK, are all the connections secure & not corroded ?

When cold take off the rad cap & check the coolant level. To a point ignore what's in the expansion tank as that's as it says an expansion tank.

Check all the hose joints for leaks...

As the bike is 20 years old has the coolant ever been changed ? might be worth whilst you have it apart to drain & replace with fresh coolant.

You must use a silicate free coolant suitable for aluminium engines.

Drop the old stuff out , the bottom rad hose is the best one to remove but there is a small 8mm bolt on the front of the engine with you pop out to drain the last bits out... Pop the lower hose back on & flush through with clean water via a hose pipe.

Pop that lower hose back off drain completely... Hose back on tighten the clamp, remember to put the 8mm drain bolt back in !

New coolant in, burp the air out buy squeezing the top hose.

Run it up to , let it cool & check the level with the cap off.

Now the expansion tank should have drained out when you dropped the coolant but if it didn't, pop the lowest hose off drain it out & top up as ness.