Cutout at Idle

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Spitfire

Cutout at Idle

Post by Spitfire »

I know this is an old chestnut but has anyone ever cured it?

There was a carb mod which involved rerouting a breather pipe but this only applies to the bike cutting out under braking which isn't the case with mine, it will cut out any time it is idling.

I have raised the idle speed to get them pistons moving a bit more quickly but to no avail.

I thought about removing the resistor in the plug cap and replacing with a piece of conductive metal (cut down nail?) in order to try to get a fatter spark, or using Splitfire plugs for the same reason.

Any ideas welcomed.
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Hi m8

First of all I'd stay away from Splitfire plugs. They're well known for causing problems rather than curing them IMHO.

Sounds like your carbs may be a bit out of balance. The stalling problem gets worse if they go too far out - even mine which is approaching 18k and has recently had them balanced still stalls until it's up to temparature.

You mention a resistor in the plug cap, is yours a US model with the emissions junk fitted? If so there are ways to remove all that which will also liberate a bit more power, not sure whether it'll cure your stalling problem though.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Mine used to be bad for stailling when idleing. This cleared up completely after fitting a new regulator/rectifier earlier this year. ( I also had to change the battery cause it got fried by the regulator through over charging)

If you can get hold of a multimeter then check teh voltage across the terminals of the battery at idle. It should be no grater than 15 volts. Hold the meter on and rev the engine. The voltage again should not be greater than 15 volts.

If it's not that then I don't have a clue.

Al.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Mate,

get someone to put ya bike on a gas anayliser and setup the air screws properly, my vtr tick-overs at 1,000rpm when cold and hasn't stalled ever, I ride 160miles aday so it has plently of time to stall mate.
Wayne, wot you like about your reg/rect. maybe his fanbelt is too tight ehh!

Del.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

sorry Wayne, I mean Al, lecky man. back to sleep for me :wink:
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

delmeekc wrote:sorry Wayne, I mean Al, lecky man. back to sleep for me :wink:
It did the job for me man! Mine used to stall like a b8stard untill i changed the battery and regulator. Never had a hickup since.

:biggrin

Al.
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Glad about that Del because I have no idea what your going on about! :?