Tuning help

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

Re: Tuning help

Post by fabiostar »

get a tin of easy start .pretty much any motorstore/garage sells it, get it running and spray in around the intake rubbers and see if the revs rise.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

I presume that’s tank and airbox off for good access?

I’m veering towards air leak too atm., it would possibly explain the revs over running - also the front pilot being fully screwed in and not stalling (although that meters fuel and not air?)

It will have to stay as is until after MOT Tuesday, then I’ll start spraying!
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Donut 77 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:01 pm I presume that’s tank and airbox off for good access?

I’m veering towards air leak too atm., it would possibly explain the revs over running - also the front pilot being fully screwed in and not stalling (although that meters fuel and not air?)

It will have to stay as is until after MOT Tuesday, then I’ll start spraying!
no you dont need to remove the tank, use the straw that comes on the tin and just poke it in around the area you need to get to, to give you a bit more room you could loosen the front of the tank and prop it up an inch or to just, the airbox is as much in the way as the tank really but no removing needed :thumbup: worth a try at least.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Thanks for this. Will try tmro. I appreciate any help..

So, to the untrained ear, will it be obvious if there’s a vacuum? I’m assuming it’s a very potent spray..
xeris

Post by xeris »

Donut 77 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:25 pm Thanks for this. Will try tmro. I appreciate any help..

So, to the untrained ear, will it be obvious if there’s a vacuum? I’m assuming it’s a very potent spray..
Yes, think Hindenberg zeppelin at Lake Hurst New Jersey
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

xeris wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:43 pm
Donut 77 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:25 pm Thanks for this. Will try tmro. I appreciate any help..

Yes, think Hindenberg zeppelin at Lake Hurst New Jersey
lol :lol: yup just what he said :lol:
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

In my effort to not over-tighten the carb boots..,

Twas indeed leaking like a bloody sieve.!!
Last edited by Donut 77 on Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Donut 77 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:51 pm I’m my effort to not over-tighten the carb boots..,

aahhh i see said the blind man :thumbup: so the leak has been found then :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:08 am
Donut 77 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:51 pm I’m my effort to not over-tighten the carb boots..,

aahhh i see said the blind man :thumbup: so the leak has been found then :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
You da man :thumbup: good call Rob :clap: :clap:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Donut 77 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:51 pm In my effort to not over-tighten the carb boots..,

I'm glad to hear your perseverance has paid off :thumbup: :thumbup:

Was it leaking on both or just the one carb boot :?:

Chris.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Hi Chris,

Yes both, which is not that surprising.., I didn’t do them up very tight..

It was also slightly leaking from the new vacuum port I put in for balancing, but I expected that too. I only used a 4mm spigot, which annoyingly proved not tight enough in 3.2mm ID hose 🤷‍♂️

Also possible leak from where the throttle butterfly pivots. Not sure what to do if it is?. I’ve read about felt washers needing replacing.

Finally 😆 I didn’t fully appreciate the importance of the pilot screws on assembly. I just cleaned everything up and put it back carefully. I now know a lot more, so when the carbs come off this week, I will check for the rubber o ring. If it’s present, then it’s only luck, as I didn’t put one in. I suspect a vacuum leak from the pilot screw area too.

Basically, she’s sucking in air from all over, which would explain why it runs lovely above 2.5k, but rough at idle - as the ‘foreign’ air is a greater % of total at lower rpm. At higher revs it’s sucking so much in that it’s too small to affect the ratio. This is my theory at least.,

On a plus note.., took bike out for a 50mile spin after MOT and was grinning all the way round. it’s a LOT of fun… 🤪🤪
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Donut 77 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:51 pm Hi Chris,

Yes both, which is not that surprising.., I didn’t do them up very tight..

It was also slightly leaking from the new vacuum port I put in for balancing, but I expected that too. I only used a 4mm spigot, which annoyingly proved not tight enough in 3.2mm ID hose 🤷‍♂️

Also possible leak from where the throttle butterfly pivots. Not sure what to do if it is?. I’ve read about felt washers needing replacing.

Finally 😆 I didn’t fully appreciate the importance of the pilot screws on assembly. I just cleaned everything up and put it back carefully. I now know a lot more, so when the carbs come off this week, I will check for the rubber o ring. If it’s present, then it’s only luck, as I didn’t put one in. I suspect a vacuum leak from the pilot screw area too.

Basically, she’s sucking in air from all over, which would explain why it runs lovely above 2.5k, but rough at idle - as the ‘foreign’ air is a greater % of total at lower rpm. At higher revs it’s sucking so much in that it’s too small to affect the ratio. This is my theory at least.,

On a plus note.., took bike out for a 50mile spin after MOT and was grinning all the way round. it’s a LOT of fun… 🤪🤪
Thanks for the detailed reply :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think I may invest in a can of Easy Start :wink:

I'm glad you enjoyed your 50 mile spin after all the hard work :D :D

Chris.