removing stuck alternator cover centre bolt

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RodneyT

removing stuck alternator cover centre bolt

Post by RodneyT »

Apologies if there's already several threads on this topic but I couldn't find them while searching. I know I've read about problems with this but can't find the topic.

Anyway, I had a bit of a win today with both my VTRs as both had resisted all attempts to remove said bolt/cap (whatever it's called) and the hex hole in the centre had been chewed out with a rattle gun on both of them (by me, I'm afraid to say!)

I managed to get one of them out (the '97) by using a dremel and making a hole in the bolt to fit a punch in at about a 45º angle and lots of WD40 around the circumference for a few days. After several attempts with a bigger hammer each time, an almighty whack, with the biggest one I have, got the b@stard undone. The cap was in a fair old mess but I was buggered if I was going to pay $30 for new ones + freight so have fixed up one of the battered ones with a modification to allow installation and removal. I drilled a couple of holes in the thickest part and tapped them for an M6 bolt then made up a plate that can be bolted over the holes and a 1/2" drive ratchet or handle used to do up/undo the cap

To get the one out on the '05 bike I had to carefully line up the plate over the cap and start drilling using the plate as a template having measured the one already out for the depth I could go to without breaking through the back of the cap. I was amazed that everything lined up (sort of!) and was then able to tap the threads into the holes. Because I have a Carbonadi cover on the alternator casing, I had to 'adjust' the plate to fit into the hole in the cover. Once off, I did notice I had just broken through the top of the threads by the o-ring so no harm done

Anyway, it worked and didn't take too much effort on the extension handle to get the cap loosened.

Heres one of the caps wher I've filed off the rough bits and filled it in with plastic metal.

So just got to get some new o-rings now and all done. Bothe the o-rings were squashed flat so suspect the caps were way over-tightened
fabiostar

Re: removing stuck alternator cover centre bolt

Post by fabiostar »

Happy days a nice result :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you fit new replacements, use the short Allen key arm in your hand to do it up, and the long one to undo it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That's a neat idea, not one I have seen before for those soft as cheese centre caps :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
RodneyT

Post by RodneyT »

Have now refurbished and fitted both caps and I tightened them by putting bolts into the threaded holes in the caps and using a small screwdriver between the bolts. I could feel the o-ring squashing and then it went solid so I'm guessing there's a shoulder the cap comes up against to avoid squashing the o-ring too much. Certainly felt like metal to metal contact. At that point I just gave it a tweak with thumb and middle finger on the screwdriver. Will be interesting to see how tight it remains.