R&G Frame Sliders Install and engine Bolt

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Harveyz

R&G Frame Sliders Install and engine Bolt

Post by Harveyz »

Hi Folk's

I'm fitting R&G frame sliders - quick question - it say replace the centre engine bolt - is it as simple as removing the standard nut on the right side and rather then touching the castle nut and adjuster it push out the engine bolt to the left side. Reason for asking mine seem stuck fast and I've given it a soak in penetrating oil and about to heat it up using the engine - before I take a mallet to it wanted to check that how the engine bolt works - the castle nut tensions the adjusted which is hollow and the engine bolt passes thru it - hence once the nut is moved from right hand side there should be no reason I can't drift it out - cheers
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: R&G Frame Sliders Install and engine Bolt

Post by sirch345 »

You are right, the engine bolt is separate to the engine/frame castle nut adjusters.
The problem is that particular bolt can be seized in the alloy engine mountings, some worse than others. Keep at it with the penetrating fluid, fingers crossed it will free-up depending on how badly it is seized.

In normal circumstances undoing the nut on the righthand side of the bike (throttle side) as you mention, the bolt should then drift out.

Good luck with it,

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

The center bolts don't go all the way through. The top & lower ons do..
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:34 pm The center bolts don't go all the way through. The top & lower ons do..
Good point Mac :thumbup:

I was thinking of the R&G crash bungs I have on my bike, where the engine mounting bolt does go all the way through.

A photo's or link to what you have Harvey might clear up any confusion,

Chris.
Harveyz

Post by Harveyz »

Thanks for all the replies - my mistake - check with part diagram and it what’s referred to as the front engine bolt - it’s one on two that go straight through - worry I have is as Chris mentioned the bolt corrodes where it passes through the engine - if I give it too big a smack with big hammer I’ll damage the casing
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If you put in "seized engine bolt" into the "search" box at the top on the righthand side you'll get an idea of what you could be up against :problem:

Fingers crossed yours isn't too bad and you can shift it,

Chris.
RodneyT

Post by RodneyT »

I fitted a pair of the R&G frame sliders and had to tap the bolt out with a hammer. It wasn't badly seized but there was a fair bit of corrosion on the bolt. The biggest issues I had was modifying a socket to do up the castellated nut and also getting the bolt supplied in the kit to fit. While nicely made, the flats on the end had to be filed down a bit to fit into the corresponding shape on the nut. Once it was a good fit, I coated the bolt with grease to hopefully prevent, or at least slow, corrosion.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

RodneyT wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:08 am I fitted a pair of the R&G frame sliders and had to tap the bolt out with a hammer. It wasn't badly seized but there was a fair bit of corrosion on the bolt. The biggest issues I had was modifying a socket to do up the castellated nut and also getting the bolt supplied in the kit to fit. While nicely made, the flats on the end had to be filed down a bit to fit into the corresponding shape on the nut. Once it was a good fit, I coated the bolt with grease to hopefully prevent, or at least slow, corrosion.
I'm pleased to hear you manged to get the front engine bolt out, although I'm not sure why you needed to touch the castellated nut, as I thought the long bolt was separate to those adjusters for removal, but then it was some years ago I fitted mine :lol:

The main thing is you were able to remove the bolt, so well done :clap: :clap:

Chris.
RodneyT

Post by RodneyT »

I just followed the instructions that came with the sliders