Main fuse blowing

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
holmes571

Main fuse blowing

Post by holmes571 »

Hi All,

I have recently bought a 2002 Firestorm after a few years away from biking, but I had a Firestorm when I passed my test and couldn't resist the "nostalgia" of another one.

Bike has been running fine for about six weeks but was out a couple if nights ago and the the bike cut out electrically and I traced it to main 30A fuse blown. I replace the fuse and the bike ran for about 1/2 mile then same thing happened, replaced fuse with a spare from a mates bike and then after about another mile same thing happened. At the time this happened the reg/rec was very hot, its an aftermarket one not the original Honda one but not sure of age, but I couldn't see any other issues. Got bike recovered home and have checked the reg/rec following some videos on Youtube it appears one of diodes has failed so I have ordered a replacement. Only other wiring fault I can see is a "ropey" connection on an aftermarket front indicator but it was lying on fairing and I don't think it could have touched metal. Can't see any other issues with wiring the would cause a short, is it common for a failed reg/rec to cause the main 30A fuse to fail.

Any help would be appreciated, I've been enjoying the bike but it does knock confidence in it a bit when it packs in.

Many thanks

Mike
MacV2

Re: Main fuse blowing

Post by MacV2 »

Change the reg/rec. Had the same issue once & changed the R/R cured it. Best change to a Mossfet type R/R
Just for reference there should be a spare 30amp fuse underneath the starter relay where the fuse that blown lives.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

As Mac says a MOSFET rectifier/regulator would be your best option for a reliable replacement.

When you get the replacement rectifier fitted that you've ordered and fixed that ropey indicator connection on the front indicator check the voltage at the battery with a multi-meter with the engine running you should be getting a reading between these two figures 13.5-15.5 Volts. Hopefully the battery and alternator have survived, but if the battery looks swollen it probably hasn't and will need replacing,

Chris.
holmes571

Post by holmes571 »

Thanks for help. Have ordered reg/rec so will fit once it arrives and check it out.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

holmes571 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:11 pm Hi All,

I have recently bought a 2002 Firestorm after a few years away from biking, but I had a Firestorm when I passed my test and couldn't resist the "nostalgia" of another one.
Of course, "nostalgia" translates as "our pain" so you should have expected some problems sooner or later!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.