Engine cuts out for a split second at idle

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Superclean

Engine cuts out for a split second at idle

Post by Superclean »

Hello everyone,

I have a low km 2003 which is as minty as they come. It has a funny little stumble occasionally while idling. It might also be happening at speed but the Yosh RS3 cans prevent me from noticing it at any other time than while idling at a stop light. The bike runs and idles perfect and then it will stumble for 1/2 a second and return to its perfect idle. I have only put about 200kms on the bike since I’ve owned it and it only had 100kms put on it in the previous 6 years.

Thoughts?

Cheers 🍻
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Engine cuts out for a split second at idle

Post by sirch345 »

Superclean wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:22 pm Hello everyone,

I have a low km 2003 which is as minty as they come. It has a funny little stumble occasionally while idling. It might also be happening at speed but the Yosh RS3 cans prevent me from noticing it at any other time than while idling at a stop light. The bike runs and idles perfect and then it will stumble for 1/2 a second and return to its perfect idle. I have only put about 200kms on the bike since I’ve owned it and it only had 100kms put on it in the previous 6 years.

Thoughts?

Cheers 🍻
It sounds like the common carb cough, many of these bikes do it. Balancing the carbs, setting the TPS to 580ohms and keeping the tick-over around 1100rpm to 1200rpm will help to minimise this,

Chris.
Superclean

Post by Superclean »

That’s great news! Guess what I was convinced it was? CCT’s 🤣. The CCT thing has me not wanting to ride the bike as I’m sure the bike has 20 year old ACCT’s. I just had new tires put on it as the ones it came with were manufactured in the 24th week of 2004.

Thank you Chris! I did use the search function to try and find out more. I will search carb cough.

Cheers,

Will
Superclean

Post by Superclean »

My bike idles at 1400 rpm too so I’ll turn that down a bit
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Superclean wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:06 pm My bike idles at 1400 rpm too so I’ll turn that down a bit
It won’t hurt being higher if you’re happy with that. I mentioned what is recommended just in case your bike was running less than that, as if it was it wouldn’t be helping your issue. Another thing that can contribute to the carb cough I found is when the spark plugs need replacing, it seems to get worse.

If you do another search, some refer to the carb cough as a carb fart, but it’s the same thing,

Chris.