Phone holder cradle with usb charging

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
LewisB

Phone holder cradle with usb charging

Post by LewisB »

Well, given my love for AliExpress, I ordered this knock off of the ram x mount, with usb charger built in
First impressions are good, not much to say, so lets get to running a cable!

I alread fitted a trickle charger port so I decided to tap into this so I didn’t have to add more battery terminal connectors.
First, disconnect the battery!
I added a mini fuse holder to the cable I will be running. Always use protection kids!
My electrical box identifies as a tool box Image
I didn’t have the correct size heat shrink so I used electrical tape to secure the fuse holder to the negative and covered the crimps.
I decided to leave a lot of slack near the battery so the fuse sits up in the tail.
At first I thought I would run the wire along the top spa of the main frame, around the airbox and through the head stock, but on inspection there was no existing wires doing this that I could secure it to, so I decided to head down and towards the clutch slave. There were a few pipes/wires this way so it was the best option, you can see my new wire heading in behind the cable stay wire.
From there I followed it through the frame with all the existing wires and secured it to the clutch line with zip ties.
This view is from the left of the tank near the forks, continuing to run the wire with the clutch line. You can see in the centre of the photo there is a wiring loom securing wire that bolts to the frame that is keeping that thick mass of wires in position, I loosened this and poked my new cable through.
At this point I cut the cable with a fair bit of slack and crimped some bullet connectors (both female) the reason why I went with bullet connects was because I wanted to add a switch and a volt meter, I didn’t have the switch yet but with I can just whip the bullets apart and add it in later. I then fitted the phone cradle (forgot to take a photo, sorry!)
Male bullet connectors on the wires coming from the phone mount. These can the be tucked in somewhere, I tucked mine in to the wires that head to the speedo.
Back to the fuse, popped in a 10amp and then reconnected the battery. Then just tucked it in so it look a little neater.
And boom! All done and looking pretty smart.

I went out today for 4 hour ride,(god I’m aching now) and the mount was perfect. Some vibrations at a certain rev (about 2k) but wow I’m impressed at the overall stability of it. I though this thumper of a bike would shake my phone to death but it was dead still for 99% of my ride. I created a route the other night and have never ridden most of these roads so I was looking at directions a lot and it was perfect! It came with two rubber nets that act as a back up from loosing your phone. Use one! (Although I didn’t fit it for the photo here)

I hope this helps anyone looking into phone mounts for their bike and how/ where to run a cable, when I was looking online I couldn’t find this info so hopefully this filled that hole (puns, puns everywhere)
Last edited by LewisB on Tue May 30, 2023 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tony.mon

Re: Phone holder cradle with usb charging

Post by tony.mon »

Is there a cover for the usb port?
I am on my fifth or sixth usb port now, they're cheap enough but they never seem to last a full summer's riding before they stop working. I use a quadlock to hold the phone, with the vibration isolated to protect the phone camera mechanism.
Without it, phone camera fail. I had to replace one, but since using the vib isolator, no repeat problems.

You'd think someone would make one using stainless with gold plated contacts. That would stand up to the weather.

I've bought marine usb versions before, but they are the same usb port, just with a rubber cover. As soon as you plug a lead in, all the water proofing protection disappears.
I'm using this one on the original battery from the Tuono (which I swapped out for a lithium) to power chargers for phones at the TT so I can watch the live feed trackside. Connected to a solar charger, I reckon it will stay charged.
I'm taking two solar chargers in case the phone eats more power that just one charger can cope with.

The one on the bike has a switch on it so that I can isolate the usb power, and a rubber cover. It still got wet when I jet washed the bike.
(I know, me cleaning the bike, right?)
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I used one of these as a usb source for a while, it had a useful voltage display as well as the tyre pressures and temperatures. The case cracked after a year or so, but it was cheap enough.

Check out Motorcycle TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System w/ Quick Charge 3.0 USB Charger D on eBay!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404263597744 ... edia=EMAIL
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:03 am Is there a cover for the usb port?
I am on my fifth or sixth usb port now, they're cheap enough but they never seem to last a full summer's riding before they stop working. I use a quadlock to hold the phone, with the vibration isolated to protect the phone camera mechanism.
Without it, phone camera fail. I had to replace one, but since using the vib isolator, no repeat problems.

You'd think someone would make one using stainless with gold plated contacts. That would stand up to the weather.

I've bought marine usb versions before, but they are the same usb port, just with a rubber cover. As soon as you plug a lead in, all the water proofing protection disappears.
I'm using this one on the original battery from the Tuono (which I swapped out for a lithium) to power chargers for phones at the TT so I can watch the live feed trackside. Connected to a solar charger, I reckon it will stay charged.
I'm taking two solar chargers in case the phone eats more power that just one charger can cope with.

The one on the bike has a switch on it so that I can isolate the usb power, and a rubber cover. It still got wet when I jet washed the bike.
Yes whatever next cleaning your bike Tony :lol: :lol:
I can't help thinking your problem is more jet washer than USB socket failure :lol: :lol:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice work Lewis, great to have the photo's to go with the write-up :clap: :clap:

Thanks for taking the time to put it all together :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:16 pm
I am on my fifth or sixth usb port now

I can't help thinking your problem is more jet washer than USB socket failure :lol: :lol:

Chris.
It's only the second time I've used a jet washer, I'm more of a bucket and sponge sort of a bloke.
But I got one cheap from Muc-Off when the COVID lockdown started, then with that and the hosepipe restriction it's barely been used.
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

Evening chaps!

Yes there is a rubber bung that fits snug in the socket, Tony. Gosh that’s rotten luck haha, maybe cover it with a plastic bag when it comes to wash time might help?

Thanks Chris! I thought it was about time I gave something to the forum, albeit a small niche!

I’ll have another little product review to do after I get out on my next ride (if it hasn’t been done already in the forum)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:56 pm
sirch345 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:16 pm
I am on my fifth or sixth usb port now

Chris.
It's only the second time I've used a jet washer, I'm more of a bucket and sponge sort of a bloke.
But I got one cheap from Muc-Off when the COVID lockdown started, then with that and the hosepipe restriction it's barely been used.
:lol: :lol: I have to admit it, I too prefer using the bucket and sponge method for washing my bike(s) :thumbup: :thumbup:

A friend of mine many many years ago was using a jet washer on his brand new Suzuki GT250. It stripped the paint off one side of the swingarm before he realised it. Thankfully paint etc from the big four Japanese motorcycle manufactures is a lot better applied now. Back then IIRC it was no more than one coat sprayed straight onto bare metal :crazy:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LewisB wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:16 pm Evening chaps!

Yes there is a rubber bung that fits snug in the socket, Tony. Gosh that’s rotten luck haha, maybe cover it with a plastic bag when it comes to wash time might help?

Thanks Chris! I thought it was about time I gave something to the forum, albeit a small niche!

I’ll have another little product review to do after I get out on my next ride (if it hasn’t been done already in the forum)
That looks interesting :D :D

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Now that most helmets come with removable pads for fitting speakers, in-ear buds are a lot more usable than they used to be.

I keep thinking about getting some, but I paid a lot of money to be able to listen to a vee-four engine while riding, so it seems a bit disrespectful to drown it out with top of the pops volume three.
xeris

Post by xeris »

LewisB wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:16 pm Evening chaps!

I have been using the same ear buds for 3 or so years now. Mostly have been pleased with them, but I'll report the jack is the failure point if lightly abused.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

Last update on the phone holder (which I’m still very happy with)
I added a switch that controls the phone charger and a voltmeter. Made a backing board with sheet ali and after attempting to pairing it (and failing) I resorted to black vinyl wrap!
I used the right clock mounting bolt as a fixture which worked well. I just have to tidy up the wires then I will consider this job done!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I fitted a voltmeter to my Storm some years ago, well worth having in my opinion :thumbup:
Although it doesn't have a nice bracket like yours has :shh: :lol:

Well done :clap: :clap:

Chris.