Maiden voyage problems.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
LewisB

Re: Maiden voyage problems.

Post by LewisB »

Thank guys I will look into the stick coil mod and have a look at the drain hole
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

Afternoon guys,
I got around to removing testing the coils;

Complete (coil,lead and cap) they are measuring 17.5 and 18.5 kilo ohms. I cannot for the life of me find if this is within spec or not?

Any help would be much appreciated :)
LewisB

Maiden voyage problems.

Post by LewisB »

These are my individual readingsImage
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Is this any help?

Chris.
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

sirch345 wrote:Is this any help?

Chris.
Unfortunately not buddy. I’ve tested them I just cannot find anywhere (including in the workshop manual) whether or not my readings are within spec or not!
I think I will just buy a new set and see how different the readings are!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If you've not already seen this from the Haynes Manual:
Complete with plug caps yours seem to be in spec on the secondary winding resistance :thumbup:
Ignition specs Haynes.jpeg
If there were a problem with your OEM coils, leads or plug caps I would expect readings from the front and rear to vary, yours are both really close.
Although if it's an intermittent fault that may not show up with a static test,

Chris.
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

sirch345 wrote:If you've not already seen this from the Haynes Manual:
Complete with plug caps yours seem to be in spec on the secondary winding resistance :thumbup:
If there were a problem with your OEM coils, leads or plug caps I would expect readings from the front and rear to vary, yours are both really close.

Chris.
Thank you Chris! You sir are a legend! I don’t have a Haynes but maybe I should get one.
I’ve ordered a second hand set of coils, leads and caps already so I will try these and see if they’re any different (it’s for my dropping to one cylinder at 2.5k problem.)

As you said the bench test results seem fine but that’s not to say one coil fails under load.

At least now I know what good coils test at!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LewisB wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:43 pm

Chris.
Thank you Chris! You sir are a legend! I don’t have a Haynes but maybe I should get one.
I’ve ordered a second hand set of coils, leads and caps already so I will try these and see if they’re any different (it’s for my dropping to one cylinder at 2.5k problem.)

As you said the bench test results seem fine but that’s not to say one coil fails under load.

I'm glad it helped :thumbup:
If you do get a Haynes Manual you need one like this (see pic below) as apparently it came to light very recently that not all Haynes manuals for the Firestorm are the same. More about that here: viewtopic.php?p=502393#p502393
Just don't follow the instruction for replacing the CCT's as they are misleading.
1745a246-d06b-4f4d-9aff-152317806d9a.jpg
You could try replacing the HT leads your on old coils, I did mine.

Another thought. When you fitted your new carb boots (inlet manifolds) did you notice if your old one's had a metal insert in the throats, if so did you remove them and fit them in your new ones :?:

Chris.
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

sirch345 wrote:
LewisB wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:43 pm

Chris.

I'm glad it helped :thumbup:
If you do get a Haynes Manual you need one like this (see pic below) as apparently it came to light very recently that not all Haynes manuals for the Firestorm are the same. More about that here: viewtopic.php?p=502393#p502393
Just don't follow the instruction for replacing the CCT's as they are misleading.
1745a246-d06b-4f4d-9aff-152317806d9a.jpg
You could try replacing the HT leads your on old coils, I did mine.

Another thought. When you fitted your new carb boots (inlet manifolds) did you notice if your old one's had a metal insert in the throats, if so did you remove them and fit them in your new ones :?:

Chris.
Thanks Chris I will look for that manual!

A pair of used coil sets arrived today which give ever so slightly less resistance. My old ht leads and plug sockets gave better readings so I used those. All fitted to the bike ready for a road test but I currently have my tail cowl off as I’m touching up some scratches and exhausts are off for a good clean so I doubt I’ll get a test ride in until the end of next week.

I will give an update when I get out on her!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LewisB wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:37 pm Thanks Chris I will look for that manual!

A pair of used coil sets arrived today which give ever so slightly less resistance. My old ht leads and plug sockets gave better readings so I used those. All fitted to the bike ready for a road test but I currently have my tail cowl off as I’m touching up some scratches and exhausts are off for a good clean so I doubt I’ll get a test ride in until the end of next week.

I will give an update when I get out on her!
You can't rush a good job :D :D

Fingers crossed all goes well when you do manage to road test it :thumbup:

Chris.
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

I managed to get out for a ride today. New coils have not solved my problem :( I have a feeling it’s something to do with ignition advancing/retarding. I’m going to what systems the vtr use for this and see if I can test some parts.
In more cheerier news, I’ve got my suspension settings dialled in and the bike is looking good!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Unlucky that didn't cure the issue, good news with the suspension though :D :D

Chris.
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

So after a little more thought and research, I’m thinking of trying a new used CDI, I will see if I can test mine first, but anyone know if all years were interchangeable? My bikes a 2002 :)
Cheers
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LewisB wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:49 am So after a little more thought and research, I’m thinking of trying a new used CDI, I will see if I can test mine first, but anyone know if all years were interchangeable? My bikes a 2002 :)
Cheers
I think I'm right in saying the later bikes like yours with the HISS ignition system have a different CDI unit to the earlier bikes.
I'm sure someone who definitely knows will be along shortly to confirm :eh:

Chris
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

sirch345 wrote:
LewisB wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:49 am So after a little more thought and research, I’m thinking of trying a new used CDI, I will see if I can test mine first, but anyone know if all years were interchangeable? My bikes a 2002 :)
Cheers
I think I'm right in saying the later bikes like yours with the HISS ignition system have a different CDI unit to the earlier bikes.
I'm sure someone who definitely knows will be along shortly to confirm :eh:

Chris
Thank you Chris, saves me finding out the hard way. I went for a lovely long ride the other day and the 2.5k stumble wasn’t as big of an issue I thought it was going to be. What got me quite a few times was stalling at idle. And the fumbling of getting to neural as it won’t start with just the clutch in. Thought this might be a faulty clutch switch but I took it off to test and it works as it should, so I’ll have to dig a little deeper into that!