From 107 to 128

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
freeridenick

Re: From 107 to 128

Post by freeridenick »

The last few jobs are really wombles me off. To the point where I want to smash the bike into a wall. Every time I try and tick one off I spend hours getting nowhere.

Number plate light shows too much white light after ages sorting the wiring and mounting to the tail tidy. Which puts the number plate too close to the tyre because I didn't think about how big the plate it would be when I located it.

Stop/tail light needs a bracket because it's angled too far up mounted to the seat unit. Which means I need to relocate the reflector. More sodding brackets to bend up.

PFM calipers just won't bleed up. Four wombles hours I must have spent on them and they're still not right.

The only good news is that I seem to be doing alright with odd bits of bodywork repairs and rebuilding one of the forks with refurbed lowers went to plan today. Should do though; it's the fifth time I've rebuilt a fork.

Once this lot is sorted there's still a handful of tidying up jobs to do, paint and probably stuff I've forgotten, before I can fire it up. Fuuuuuuuuuuck!

Thanks. I feel better now. Hopefully a week at the TT will provide some motivation.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You've already done most of the big jobs, so don't beat yourself up so much :eh:
Although you may not realise it you're on the home run Nick.

Re bleeding the brakes, back bleeding works best for me on the front calipers although you are probably already doing it that way.

Have a great week at the IOM TT,

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Finally I've got the calipers to bleed up. I ended up asking for help on the old PS Mag Facebook page and Gary Hurd ended up giving me his number. Take the system off the bike, he said. Why didn't I think of that. So much easier. He also suggested a couple of other things to try and the upshot is I have brakes. Thank wombles.

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:25 pm Finally I've got the calipers to bleed up. I ended up asking for help on the old PS Mag Facebook page and Gary Hurd ended up giving me his number. Take the system off the bike, he said. Image Why didn't I think of that. So much easier. He also suggested a couple of other things to try and the upshot is I have brakes. Thank wombles.

Happy days at last Nick.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: what did he tell you to do different?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

fabiostar wrote:
freeridenick wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:25 pm Finally I've got the calipers to bleed up. I ended up asking for help on the old PS Mag Facebook page and Gary Hurd ended up giving me his number. Take the system off the bike, he said. Image Why didn't I think of that. So much easier. He also suggested a couple of other things to try and the upshot is I have brakes. Thank wombles.

Happy days at last Nick.. Image Image Image what did he tell you to do different?
Rotate the calipers is an sort of figure of eight movement. Also to get the calipers higher than the master to make sure all the air is in the calipers. I think moving the calipers around helped most, freeing up some trapped air. Having the system off the bike also helped because I could sit down rather than squat. I ended up clamping the master cylinder above my head so the calipers were on my bench. Loads more comfortable.

The final thing was a bit of user error. I'd wedged the pistons apart with bits of wood. Just as I was finishing up today I remembered I'd kept the old pads. I didn't want to contaminate the new pads, hence the wood. I'd forgotten about the old pads and the wood was a bit softer than I thought. As soon as the pads were in and pushed together the lever went rock hard. I'm guessing the wood was just soft enough to let the master cylinder piston move the whole way. What a Richard Image.

There's still a bit of air in there but now the lever is hard I think it's all out from around the pistons. I've fresh fluid on order (I've been reusing what I have because I was going through it so fast). Should be easy to get the rest of the air out when that arrives.

freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

So it's a runner. Finally. It's backfiring on starting up when warm and hangs around 2.5k as the revs decrease, so the fueling isn't right. I need to reread the carb tuning guide and see what I need to do to make it a bit better before booking an MOT and getting it on the road. Once it's run in it'll be going on a dyno to get probably sorted.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:56 pm So it's a runner. Finally. It's backfiring on starting up when warm and hangs around 2.5k as the revs decrease, so the fueling isn't right. I need to reread the carb tuning guide and see what I need to do to make it a bit better before booking an MOT and getting it on the road. Once it's run in it'll be going on a dyno to get probably sorted.

Good news Nick, always good to have the engine running again :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well done that man.
I wouldn't bother too much adjusting anything. Just get it run in and on the Dyno, the Dyno shows up all the errors quite quickly and they're easy to fix then.
Sounds like fuelling, but you can't do that until the rings seat in the notes and compression settles.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

That's it, it's finally been to the MOT station and actually went and passed. The weather was closing in so I couldn't get anywhere for a prettier photo unfortunately.

No issues with the MOT, just advisories for no lights. I'll be running with headlight and stop/tail until I can work out where to fit the rear indicators. I'd rather run with them even though it's unlikely to see the dark.

There are a couple of niggles to sort, but they should be easy. I forgot to center the steering when I put the forks in and the battery isn't holding a charge. That's an odd one though as it's new and there's nothing that would drain it. The clutch seemed to start grabbing on the way home too. Traffic was horrible to and from the MOT station so I'm hoping it was just a bit warm. I'd forgotten how much they rattle in neutral, it's been that long since I rode one. ImageImage

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:13 pm That's it, it's finally been to the MOT station and actually went and passed. The weather was closing in so I couldn't get anywhere for a prettier photo unfortunately.

No issues with the MOT, just advisories for no lights. I'll be running with headlight and stop/tail until I can work out where to fit the rear indicators. I'd rather run with them even though it's unlikely to see the dark.

There are a couple of niggles to sort, but they should be easy. I forgot to center the steering when I put the forks in and the battery isn't holding a charge. That's an odd one though as it's new and there's nothing that would drain it. The clutch seemed to start grabbing on the way home too. Traffic was horrible to and from the MOT station so I'm hoping it was just a bit warm. I'd forgotten how much they rattle in neutral, it's been that long since I rode one. ImageImage

Wow Nick, you should be very proud of yourself the bike is looking great 😎😎

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Thanks Chris. I'm still not sure it isn't too black but that can be sorted with time.

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Proper stealthy looking Nick, :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Love it!!!! Nicely done :clap:
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:54 pm Thanks Chris. I'm still not sure it isn't too black but that can be sorted with time.

As Rob said, it’s stealthy looking 👍👍

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Looking good Nick
Well Done :thumbup: :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal