VTR cam chain tensioners

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

Re: VTR cam chain tensioners

Post by Donut 77 »

I did mine recently as a total bike mechanics newbie. As yet untested, but quite straight forward.

I don’t think the guide on here said this, and I therefore didn’t do this, but I have since read/seen a lot of posts/vids etc where ppl say remember to put thread lock on the bolt. Otherwise it can wind loose, even against the lock nut. I’m not going to re-do mine because I gunked it all up with gasket sealant around the lock nut/thread area.

I would also add that mine had a rubber o ring that the locknut tightens down into a groove but at any reasonable tension this just squirted out the side, so I cut it off..
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The thread lock does the same job as sealant, it'll stop the bolt vibrating loose.
If the locknut is done up tightly it shouldn't come undone, I've not had that problem myself, but probably best to check the locknut is still tight after the first ride.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pon

Post by Pon »

Sorry to jump in with my problem. My VTR has just turned 49,000 miles today and when I got home I can definitely hear cam chain rattle on the rear. I have auto CCTs in. My question is, can I just pop some new tensioners in and all will be good? Or is it past that now? I don't really fancy starting it again now :(
If at first you don't succeed - tools down and go for a ride.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

If all you are hearing is a light rattle, you haven’t caused any damage, so fitting the manual ccts now will not be a problem. You have to take the cam covers off to fit the ccts anyway, so you will be able to confirm the cam timing hasn’t slipped.

II hope you know this already from earlier in this thread, but please note that you don’t just “pop” the CCTs in (manuals or Autos), you need to follow the instructions in here to the letter :thumbup:
AMcQ
Pon

Post by Pon »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:45 am If all you are hearing is a light rattle, you haven’t caused any damage, so fitting the manual ccts now will not be a problem. You have to take the cam covers off to fit the ccts anyway, so you will be able to confirm the cam timing hasn’t slipped.

II hope you know this already from earlier in this thread, but please note that you don’t just “pop” the CCTs in (manuals or Autos), you need to follow the instructions in here to the letter :thumbup:
Thanks. I wish it was just "pop" them in, I'd be doing them myself. I did my brothers Blackbird and that was childs play. There's a garage in Thirsk that will fit the modified autos for me the correct way, I'm booked in for next month. He agrees with you that there shouldn't be any damage and with me not to start it again. Thanks for the heads up. Luckily I have a couple of back up bikes.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pon, here's the How-Too just in case you should need it:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28583

Chris.
Pon

Post by Pon »

sirch345 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:27 pm Pon, here's the How-Too just in case you should need it:

Chris.
Thanks Chris
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pon wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:38 pm
sirch345 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:27 pm Pon, here's the How-Too just in case you should need it:

Chris.
Thanks Chris
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
sisumi

Post by sisumi »

mjvw wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:02 pm Started doing cct’s after reading the excellent guide on site, started with rear set to TDC, as precaution tie gripped cam chain to cam sprocket as advised locked rear cct off using key provide, getting the cap of old cct to insert key to lock adjuster was chew and access to the two cct bolts was tight.
Now all loose but have stopped for the night as getting cold in the VTR cave the ccts purchased don’t have the rounded end are they ok?
Thanks in advance
I just fitted a set of these and they do look and feel really well made, although much more expensive than the Ali Express variety. Slightly worried they don't employ a locknut but they do use a wide flange nut. I assume with loctite, it'll suffice, but paranoid me will be checking them regularly.
They come with instructions, but my advice to anyone is to print out the guide on here and follow it to the letter. I found a Youtube video that shows you how to replace the CCT's without removing the cam covers. Might work for some, but for me I didn't find the correct TDC on the rear cylinder, and the chain jumped a tooth as I was removing the old CCT. :eek2 I was so pissed off with myself for being tempted by a shortcut. :sad2 So the cam covers had to come off anyway, and I spent way more time re-timing than I would have by just taking the covers off and checking the lobes visually.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

sisumi wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:13 pm
mjvw wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:02 pm Started doing cct’s after reading the excellent guide on site, started with rear set to TDC, as precaution tie gripped cam chain to cam sprocket as advised locked rear cct off using key provide, getting the cap of old cct to insert key to lock adjuster was chew and access to the two cct bolts was tight.
Now all loose but have stopped for the night as getting cold in the VTR cave the ccts purchased don’t have the rounded end are they ok?
Thanks in advance
I just fitted a set of these and they do look and feel really well made, although much more expensive than the Ali Express variety. Slightly worried they don't employ a locknut but they do use a wide flange nut. I assume with loctite, it'll suffice, but paranoid me will be checking them regularly.
They come with instructions, but my advice to anyone is to print out the guide on here and follow it to the letter. I found a Youtube video that shows you how to replace the CCT's without removing the cam covers. Might work for some, but for me I didn't find the correct TDC on the rear cylinder, and the chain jumped a tooth as I was removing the old CCT. :eek2 I was so pissed off with myself for being tempted by a shortcut. :sad2 So the cam covers had to come off anyway, and I spent way more time re-timing than I would have by just taking the covers off and checking the lobes visually.
I fully agree with that statement :thumbup: :thumbup:

Glad you got there in the end :clap: :clap: and nothing too serious went wrong other than more head scratching and time,

Chris.