Running Acewell Speedo with factory sensor : SOLVED :)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Aly

Running Acewell Speedo with factory sensor : SOLVED :)

Post by Aly »

My new to me VTR has been mostly naked modded by the previous owner (a mate who gave me a nice deal). It has a ace3969 speedo and he didnt want any extra clutter at the front so hooked it it the factory hall sensor instead of using the supplied magnet and reed switch (both are 5v it seams). The speed increases linearly upto about 10km/hr and stays about there, for it to read somewhat accurately at that 10km/hr the calibrated circumference is set to 15mm (2000mm is approx normal for a reed switch setup). So I think the hall sensor must be picking up off a gear with lots of teeth. I feel that the ace unit just cant handle the frequency as it is designed to read 1 (or a few) pulses per wheel rotation. I'm thinking to add a speedo healer to step it down 30X or so then calibrate it back up. Any thoughts/experience with this? Thanks in advance.

SOLVED: installed a speedo-healer V4. Used it to drop the signal down to 10% (I might need to go further) then changed the wheel circumference to bring it back to accuracy. Tested ok up to 30km (max speed on washed out dark dirt road in boxer shorts and thongs). If there's no further updates assume some gps testing and knob tweaking to get it sorted.