Tax your bike online, it’s easier they say!!

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Tax your bike online, it’s easier they say!!

Post by sirch345 »

I was really looking forward to getting out on the Firestorm today. It’s late in the year for me not to have been out sooner, but certain family matters etc and the poxy weather meant being behind.

I went online to tax the bike last week in April ‘23, only to find I was not allowed to tax it from 1st May ‘23 until today, goodness knows why it’s not like we get a tax disc anymore.

So today I go to tax my bike online, or rather I don’t :Argue 1: :Argue 1:

I get this come up after trying numerous times just in case I had entered the wrong details:
IMG_0003.png
I even tried their phone service which is automated, the same problem.

And of course it being a bank holiday not a real person to speak with, plus post offices closed so I couldn’t tax my bike today :Argue 1: :Argue 1:

Chris.
MacV2

Re: Tax your bike online, it’s easier they say!!

Post by MacV2 »

Taxed Nue Red today no problem...

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

Did you put in the 11digit number off the V5 in...?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i had kinda the same, taxed the LC which is free but when i tried to tax Dori it said it wasnt insured :eek2 even tho they are on the same policy?? had to go to the post office to get it done last month :think:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:26 pm Taxed Nue Red today no problem...

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

Did you put in the 11digit number off the V5 in...?
I have definitely been putting in the correct 11 digit number along with the correct reg number. I have tried different browsers on the laptop many times, I even keyed in the 11 digit number on the automated phone call, I got the same result of “Vehicle Details Could Not Be Found”.

The most annoying thing is I was only on their site a week or so ago, no problem with it then.

Looking online I found this “ DVLA encourages motorists to get a red vehicle registration certificate” mine is the earlier blue one due to owning the bike for so long, although I have never had any notification from the DVLA to do this, plus it says “ Existing V5Cs will remain valid until they are replaced.”
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dvla ... %20V5C%20).

Is your log book a red one :?:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:thumbup:
fabiostar wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:39 pm i had kinda the same, taxed the LC which is free but when i tried to tax Dori it said it wasnt insured :eek2 even tho they are on the same policy?? had to go to the post office to get it done last month :think:
I’m glad I’m not on my own :lol:

I’ll try phoning them again tomorrow, hopefully I can speak to a real person, failing that it’ll be the post office :thumbup:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yes all my log books are red. IIRC they sent out replacements automatically when they changed them. It was years ago tho.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

I had similar site issues taxing the Ducati it would not accept details last Friday. When it finally worked I ended up losing a month as wanted to start on 1st May but I ended up doing 1st April. I know I know April fool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Apparently I should have had a new red log book. They are sending one out. The new red log book has a different 11 digit number. I asked how was it possible then for me to log on no problem just over a week ago using the blue log book, and use the same to tax the bike last year? They couldn’t give an explanation.

It took me 45 mins to get it sorted out (35 of those mins in a queue), it probably wouldn't have taken me any longer if I had gone to the post office instead :crazy:
At least the Storm is now taxed.

It just goes to show you cannot trust any online facility 100%

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:59 am Yes all my log books are red. IIRC they sent out replacements automatically when they changed them. It was years ago tho.
Apparently it was 2012 they sent out the red type log book, I never received mine,
Duffy1964 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:56 am I had similar site issues taxing the Ducati it would not accept details last Friday. When it finally worked I ended up losing a month as wanted to start on 1st May but I ended up doing 1st April. I know I know April fool. Image
I mentioned that it's useless you can't tax a vehicle in advance. I can't see why they don't allow that now that we no longer have a tax disc to display, I can see how that would have possibly been open for abuse :wink: when they only had the visual checks to see if a vehicle was taxed or not.

I was told you can tax it 2 days before the 1st of the following month :crazy:

Chris.