Fuel strainer Screen Set

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

Fuel strainer Screen Set

Post by Donut 77 »

Took tank apart today to clean all the rust out. The plastic screen set/fuel strainer inside - connected to the petcock was destroyed. Part number 16952-MBB-D41 seems to not be available anywhere. There are many other 16952 screen sets online with codes like 16952-MAZ-003 etc.

Any ideas whether these are just different codes for the US market for Superhawk?

It seems to be a very elusive part for something that will likely need changing from time to time.

TIA
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
Donut 77

Re: Fuel strainer Screen Set

Post by Donut 77 »

This is what it looked like ☹️

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Might be time to fit two inline fuel filters .
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

lloydie wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:40 am Might be time to fit two inline fuel filters .
I was thinking that. Is that what people normally do then?

It was mainly because the tank will still have the potential to have sone crap in it, however hard I try to clean it, more bits will be hiding ready to flake off - I didn’t want to clog up the petcock?

9mm fuel line seems to be the existing? Anyone help with this please? Or it might be 3/8” which is 9.5mm

Metal Fuel pipe cross section is measuring as follows:

petcock ID 6.7 OD 9.3mm
Carb ID 7.7 OD 10.3mm

Was expecting these to be the same. I have not incl the ribs in the measurements. My thoughts were maybe to go 10mm - it seems a more widely available size and will fit better at the carb end.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Donut 77 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:57 pm Took tank apart today to clean all the rust out. The plastic screen set/fuel strainer inside - connected to the petcock was destroyed. Part number 16952-MBB-D41 seems to not be available anywhere. There are many other 16952 screen sets online with codes like 16952-MAZ-003 etc.

Any ideas whether these are just different codes for the US market for Superhawk?

It seems to be a very elusive part for something that will likely need changing from time to time.

TIA
It looks like Part number 16952-MBB-D41 is for the 19ltr tank, which as you point out is not available anymore.

As Mac posted up below Part number 16952-MBB-003 is for the 16ltr tank and is still available. This should be your tank.
Donut 77 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:52 am
lloydie wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:40 am Might be time to fit two inline fuel filters .
I was thinking that. Is that what people normally do then?

It was mainly because the tank will still have the potential to have sone crap in it, however hard I try to clean it, more bits will be hiding ready to flake off - I didn’t want to clog up the petcock?

9mm fuel line seems to be the existing? Anyone help with this please? Or it might be 3/8” which is 9.5mm

Metal Fuel pipe cross section is measuring as follows:

petcock ID 6.7 OD 9.3mm
Carb ID 7.7 OD 10.3mm

Was expecting these to be the same. I have not incl the ribs in the measurements. My thoughts were maybe to go 10mm - it seems a more widely available size and will fit better at the carb end.
Have a read of this if you've not already lol:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=38340&sid=2f63f8b3 ... b90a04fb20

Chris.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

I used harpic xxx power plus toilet cleaner. Swilled a whole bottle around then put a load of boiling water in. It’s cone out pretty good. Then half an hour of spraying the hose in. I plan to do it again tmro to get the last bits.

Cheers for heads up on the strainer. I can’t believe it’s £50 for a plastic gauze.. I’m going to have to bite the bullet in case there are any stray rust areas inside. I found a little telescopic light with magnet on very useful to look around inside and collect suspended rust too.

I like the guys write up on phosphoric acid. Cheers for that. All useful knowledge if I need it.

Any ideas Chris on the fuel line size most commonly used?

Cheers.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Donut 77 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:35 pm I used harpic xxx power plus toilet cleaner. Swilled a whole bottle around then put a load of boiling water in. It’s cone out pretty good. Then half an hour of spraying the hose in. I plan to do it again tmro to get the last bits.

Cheers for heads up on the strainer. I can’t believe it’s £50 for a plastic gauze.. I’m going to have to bite the bullet in case there are any stray rust areas inside. I found a little telescopic light with magnet on very useful to look around inside and collect suspended rust too.

I like the guys write up on phosphoric acid. Cheers for that. All useful knowledge if I need it.

Any ideas Chris on the fuel line size most commonly used?

Cheers.
If you're talking about our Firestorms regarding the size of petrol pipes used :?: I'm not 100% sure if it's 10mm or 8mm inside diameter. I have read posts saying owners on here have used 8mm inline filters, although on the other hand one post said 8mm was to loose inside the petrol pipe. I have also just read a post by "Lloydie" saying when he had his Firestorm he needed to fit a fuel pump to get one filter to flow properly. Sorry I'm not much help on this, hopefully someone else will comment on that for you.
Failing that try the search box at the top on the right hand side,

Chris.