Fork Stanchion Chrome repair.. HELP!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

Fork Stanchion Chrome repair.. HELP!

Post by Donut 77 »

Hi all, the rebuild from complete basket case/9 years sat in the rain to hopefully a running Storm is going well, however the stumbling block this week is that there is some pitting in the chrome fork legs.

I thought this might be a simple fix but it’s looking prohibitively expensive whichever way I turn. Is there anyone on here that either has some to sell or works somewhere that I can post them both for re chroming or has an alternative idea/contact that knows how to repair chrome?? Can I fill the pits with another metal??

They’re in really nice condition over most of the surface but pitted a bit around the centre. I’m reluctant to just use abrasive to make the corrosion into smooth little dips, as I’m worried that the seal will be damaged/not work and oil leak.

HELP PLEASE! I’ll take any suggestions at this point. Not having a good week financially on this project..
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
SEANR999

Re: Fork Stanchion Chrome repair.. HELP!

Post by SEANR999 »

Never had it done, but saw some guys at the classic bike show Stafford last Autumn. Lots of people renovate forks in the UK, postal service, prices vary, hope it helps ? https://fork-rechroming.co.uk/prices/ https://www.hardchromeplating.co.uk/forks-rechroming http://dynasurf.co.uk/motorcycle-forks/ https://www.pittedforks.co.uk/
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Thank you. Great reply. I just can’t believe how costly the process is - if they weren’t in China and 45 day delivery, it would be cheaper to buy new.

I had already put some feelers out but from your list, the second one hardchromeplating seem the most reasonable at £150 the pair incl postage.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Try All Bike Engineering, (ABE), they used to stock replacement stanchions for Storms.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Thanks Tony. I’ve emailed them now. Let’s see what they say tmro. It’s annoying this problem, because the pitting is fairly minimal, so it might be ok, but it’s not the right way forward to risk it..
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

TNK replacement fork tubes is a much better option than re-chroming https://racetech.com/TNKProductSearch/H ... Storm/1998
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

i have had a number of fork tubes rechromed by a company called dynasurf in cheshire. around £180 to get re chromed. i've tried various fixes over the years, even car body filler. but it doesnt last.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I’ve used A.M. Philpotts hard chromers, in Bedfordshire and found them really good. The finish was really good and lasted well. I’ve also bought replacement stanchions from K Tech for my USD Blade front end.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
integerspin

Post by integerspin »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:45 pm Try All Bike Engineering, (ABE), they used to stock replacement stanchions for Storms.
I haven't bought any fork legs since the 1990's.
Slingshot legs were £150 to have rechromed by Philpotts, ABE sold a pair of new legs for the same price.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

ABE are wanting £200+ each leg to supply new.

Hard Chrome Plating are going to get my money at £150 for the total re Chrome job incl postage.

Only slight issue is 5-6 weeks turn around.

Or it’s £150 pair for new from China with 4 week wait, but then I’ve been stung this way before when things turn up damaged or sub standard, you are pretty low on options.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

They’re work is to a really good standard. Worth the wait 👍
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF