I fell off!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
AlmostThere

I fell off!

Post by AlmostThere »

Hey all,

This wasn't supposed to be my first post of the 'season' (had intended to post some updates and stuff I did over the winter) but, well....I fell off a few weeks back, managed to high side it on the last session of my first track day. :silent: Can share details later if wanted but at the minute I could use some help with a few things regarding the rebuild.

The bike thankfully slid and didn't tumble/roll/catapult. Front right main fairing panel is wrecked (mountings all broken) and is already in the bin. I'm ready to place an order with Motoforza for a complete from end (both sides and headlight surround in one piece). I see they do stuff for MotoGP, WSBK, TT etc but just before I order, any reason why I shouldn't? Any bad reviews or experiences?

Undertray is cracked and bust at the indicator mount. I could do with a replacement, anybody got one for sale? I did think about getting some sheet metal and making my own (not a carbon copy of original and without all the shaped mouldings on the inside, something simpler, weld direct to subframe) though not sure how much hassle it would be.

One exhaust can is trashed (almost worn through on the leading edge), easy enough to source. Sorry about the tape, I have the bike covered up usually and the soft inner liner catches on all the jaggy parts.

The real tail section is scraped up a bit, though not too deep. Paint guy reckons no problem to sand back and reuse. Is there supposed to be just the one underside mounting tab (mounts onto undertray with a plastic pop rivet)? I have one on the offside only.

Tank took a nasty bump. Paint guy said he may be able to pull it out and asked if it was lined and/or double skinned, anyone know? Also, when I take the tank off and drain the fuel, will I have to spray the inside with anything to stop corrosion? I will be taking the fuel cap off but I think I can leave the pet(unmentionable) and sender in place and he can paint around them (unless I should take them off too?)

Clutch cover scraped up, could (probably should) tidy it up and powdercoat it but I may be an unruly brute and just throw a carbon protector on it. Carbonadi stuff looks decent, any thoughts/opinions/reviews?

Brake lever goosed (wafer thin at the end) and clipon took a bit of damage. I've not set a straight edge against it yet to see if it's bent. If it is, anyone have one I could buy? The throttle tube is bust so I'll get a Honda replacement (how do I get the cables out, unscrew the nuts?). The bar end is gone but not sure if it broke off anything inside or not. I have the bar weight (anything missing here?) and from looking at the good side there should be a cylindrical metal/alloy piece with a raised half moon, that fits against an opposing half moon on the actual bar end with the bolt running through (the bold screws through this half moon piece and into the end of the bar weight, correct?). Is that cylindrical piece a Honda item or part of an aftermarket bar end?

The radiator is also a little bent but not leaking, thankfully. I'll live with it as I'm not going to replace it.

Desite all the crashing, I had a great time on track. Never realised how much of a body/core workout it is. Looking forward to getting back out there soon. If anyone can help with the above it would be much appreciated :thumbup:

Thanks
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: I fell off!

Post by sirch345 »

I'm sorry to hear you have had an off on the track, but I guess that is always a possibility. How are you, are you okay?

The Carbonadi carbon fibre engine covers are excellent in the protection they give, so yes, I'd recommended them.

This link here Mac has put up on behalf of Malc's (PopKat) spares, has one or two item that could be helpful for you. Take a look also at the other items listed by Mac on Malc's (Popkat) behalf.
Please understand these items are more of an auction selling style, as Mac is trying to raise as much funds as possible for Malc.
viewtopic.php?t=45779

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ah, well, at least you enjoyed it.
Re the tail, yes, there should be two tabs. One either side.

Tank isn't double skinned, and isn't lined as standard. A previous owner might have had it sealed, though.

I'd remove the lot for painting, but you'd have to buy a new seal, and only seal the interior if you need to.

To remove the throttle tube, loosen the cables at the carb end.

If you're mainly using on track, now's your chance to upgrade to rear sets and adjustable clipons.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AlmostThere wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:32 pm Hey all,

The bike thankfully slid and didn't tumble/roll/catapult. Front right main fairing panel is wrecked (mountings all broken) and is already in the bin. I'm ready to place an order with Motoforza for a complete from end (both sides and headlight surround in one piece). I see they do stuff for MotoGP, WSBK, TT etc but just before I order, any reason why I shouldn't? Any bad reviews or experiences?
Thinking about your intention of purchasing a new front fairing.
As much as the fibreglass one you mention is probably a good fairing, if you're intending to be back at the race track again I can't help thinking you would be better of with separate panels like the original OEM fairing is, so if one panel gets damaged you can then just replace/repair that panel only. Therefore you might be better off getting a cheaper Chinese fairing for track days, also some of them come with a tank cover so you could still use your old tank with the dent or with it pulled out as it wouldn't be seen,

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yep I have a tank . See the link. Sirch posted. Also have many other parts in stock. Send me a list & I'll see if I can help you. Mac
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AlmostThere

Post by AlmostThere »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sorry to hear PopKat isn't well :(

sirch345

I'm okay...ish, thanks for asking. All the aches and pain have left besides my hip/leg giving me some grief. Landed heavy my on hip and despite two weeks passing it's far from better. I think some other muscles are taking the burden of walking as my knee and lower back have joined in the pain party. Will give it another week and see where it's at.

Thanks for the response re. the Carbonadi covers. I had intended to stick these over the damaged clutch cover (get one for the other side too) but I was looking today and I've actually managed to crack the cover. You may have to zoom in as it's only hairline sized. It's cracked horizintally but also vertically, like a 'T'. Will need replaced.

Thanks for the link, I did see a few bits that might need. Once I compose a final list on what I need, I'll cross-reference and put in a bid.

Still not sure what I'm doing fairing wise. As much as I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the track this lingering duff leg makes me think I should probably slow down and stick to running it up the strip. Thankfully it wasn't worse but it's still messing with my work. I did look at other fairings, including some Chinese made stuff, not sure on quality, I do like the one piece front. Will have to decide soon though otherwise this will morph into a winter project.

tony.mon

Thanks, I have the tank off now. Filler cap off (didn't realise some of the bolts are for show) as is the pet(male hen). By seal I take it you mean the little o-ring? The fuel filter tower piece (no picture, please accept terrible description) that sits inside the tank was a bit of a rascal to get out. When it goes back in during assembly, how far does it sit inside the tank? I have yet to take the sender off as I need to clean up the spongy glue from that foam section that sits under the tank (want to avoid mess going inside the tank). I guess there is a seal/o-ring on the sender also?

I still have some residual fuel in the tank that I cannot get out. If I leave it sitting somewhere well ventilated this should evaporate, right?

Thanks, will check out those cables when I get the airbox off.

Clipons, yes, was thinking of those as I really did feel my feet were far too low on track (kept catching the toe slider on my boots at certain corners). Looking today, I've managed to bend the stock one in ever so slightly. When a new peg on you'd never know, but I know, and that bugs me. I may be able to bend it back if I'm careful. That said, if I were to go for an aftermarket set, where do I get them? Would you recommend any?

MacV2

Thanks for that. I've still to finalise my list (as I keep finding new broken bits!) but once I do I'll send it across. If you have a bunch of stuff I need I might drive down to collect, if that's okay of course (unless you're on the south coast or something).

Stripped some of the bike:

Broken piece on rear of headlight:

Should be like this:

Bent the front subframe mounting tab (RHS one), I should be able to set it right. Not sure if the main arm is slightly bent or not (I can't tell and not sure how to test if it is). Will get this cleaned up and powdercoated if I get it straightened.

Exhaust now binned:

Broke the end off the bar weight. These are marked up with 'KV3' on the shaft, is that reference to some specific weight? I saw some for sale but they were different, 'KW5' or something (I may have made that up, but they were different I'm sure on that part). Will I need to buy two (both) to be sure of getting a matching pair?

Hopefully I've found all the damaged parts, won't get near the bike until next weekend to check. If I'm draining the oil (and coolant) to remove the clutch cover (and valve covers for powdercoating), will it be fine sitting there for a few weeks somewhat exposed (I'll cover with plenty of rags). I'll probably be sending the new cover and the stator cover (plus other bits) to get powdercoated and I need to old cover off as the bolts will be sent for plating. The thing isn't goes to rust overnight, right?

Thanks again
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Sorry to hear you're not feeling any better with your leg/hip, although glad the rest is on the mend. If haven't already you may need an X-ray to rule out any fractures.

Mac has a clutch cover for sale if you want a replacement: viewtopic.php?t=45584

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Happy to help with any parts you may need. Put this way I could probably build a compleat bike from all the spares I have ! Location is Kent ME3 about 40mins from Dartford crossing. Look in 'Ride outs section.' I'm hosting a workshop day May 27th. GrainStorm VIII.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AlmostThere

Post by AlmostThere »

Hey all,

As much as I want to, I'm not going to have the time to rebuild the bike (and to be honest I'd rather use the rebuild funds towards another bike/a different experience). Would anyone be willing to take it off my hands? Don't want anything for it, but you would need to come and collect it with trailer or van as it's not rideable at the minute (see one of the previous pics I posted).

I was a tidy, well running bike before I crashed it. Not long had an MoT, recent Healtech quickshifter and new MRA screen. The forks were stripped (by a shop) with new bushes, seals and K-tech springs about 150 miles ago (forks done on the Thursday, crashed it on the Sunday). Done nearly 47K miles from 1999. Have some spares too, mainly exhaust parts (both original cans are there, excellent condition) but some service bits and bobs.

Too good to scrap, maybe a project for one of you guys or used for spares. Distance might be an issue though as the bike is kept in Stirling, Scotland.

Some recent pics of how it used to look:

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's a generous offer, it'll make someone a great track day bike.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree with Tony, a very generous offer indeed 8) 8)

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

You’re going to make someone very happy . Shame you’re letting it go . If I was closer I’d have it lol
AlmostThere

Post by AlmostThere »

Afternoon,

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, reluctant and a bit sad to see her go, would be great to see her rebuilt and running around being enjoyed by someone else. She felt fantastic right at the end with the forks done (heavier (K-tech 9.5 rating) linear springs, 10w oil, 140 mm gap, front dropped 5mm (what a difference that made to turn-in!)) and the quickshifter. I had it on the dyno again the same week I came off and it was shooting some nice flames on the upshifts: fun bikes for sure.

Sorry about the poor quality.

Just so people are aware, I can read PM's but cannot reply (I guess I've not posted enough). I will say that I would much prefer to keep the bike in one piece (well many pieces at the minute but all the bolts are bagged!) and hopefully someone can take the full bike. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if anyone wants it. If not, I might (read as possibly/maybe/chances aren't fantastic/maybe not even probable) strip it for any parts people need/want. I'm super short on time as always, so the bits won't be free (cheap + postage) and I may (more like probably) take forever to get around to it.