Vtr1000f firestorm cam tensioner - chain tension

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
stretch 68

Vtr1000f firestorm cam tensioner - chain tension

Post by stretch 68 »

Hello everyone,
Have an issue I hope someone can help shed some light on, changed a set of automatic cam chain tensioners to AP manual cam chain tensioners. Did all the timing and everything right, however wasn't very sure about the chain tension, I set it from 5-7mm which is what it said to do on the forum. When I start the bike it's fine, runs & revs ok, but when it gets to running temperature and I rev the bike it begins shuddering and sounds almost like it is misfiring or about to cut out. Does anyone know if the chains been adjusted too tight or not enough? Has anyone got any advice or perhaps a diagram from a manual on what the chain needs to be set to?
Cheers in advance, Dave
tastethefloor

Re: Vtr1000f firestorm cam tensioner - chain tension

Post by tastethefloor »

the misfiring Is not related to the chain tension 5 mm Is ok,...are you sure to have not skip a teeth with the timing? are you sure to have reinstall the carbs choke cable and nuts correctly?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Posting a video might help.
When you say you rev the motor and the shuddering happens, is this stationary or when riding? If stationary, have you remembered to turn the fuel back on?
Another option- have you reconnected the vacuum line to the sideways spigot on the fuel tap?
There is nothing connected to the one poking vertically down.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

stretch 68 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:01 pm Hello everyone,
Have an issue I hope someone can help shed some light on, changed a set of automatic cam chain tensioners to AP manual cam chain tensioners. Did all the timing and everything right, however wasn't very sure about the chain tension, I set it from 5-7mm which is what it said to do on the forum. When I start the bike it's fine, runs & revs ok, but when it gets to running temperature and I rev the bike it begins shuddering and sounds almost like it is misfiring or about to cut out. Does anyone know if the chains been adjusted too tight or not enough? Has anyone got any advice or perhaps a diagram from a manual on what the chain needs to be set to?
Cheers in advance, Dave
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28583

Chris.