Dust Seal advice

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

Dust Seal advice

Post by Donut 77 »

The dust seal at the bottom of the steering head (trapped by the bottom bearing cone) has no rubber left on it.

Looking at the spares list and the top one, the rubber is made as part of the metal washer.

I'm not sure about trying to remove the bottom cone to replace the dust seal. Aren't they pressed on with a freezer/heat?

Any ideas on how to remove cone or fabricating something to replace the rubber seal. I was thinking maybe electrical tape.

cheers.
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
tony.mon

Re: Dust Seal advice

Post by tony.mon »

The seal comes with most, but not all, replacement bearing sets. Avoid any without the seal.
I think you'd struggle to make one. Tape certainly won't work.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I removed the washer/seal when I got the yokes powdercoated. I can't remember the exact process, but I think it was simple enough with limited tools and knowledge.

A bit of heat may have been used.

Jamie :wave:
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

I’ll give that a try then. It does need a replacement. Wanted to sound out on here first in case I might end up mangling the other components..
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I don't see how you can remove the dust seal without removing the lower cone, you either need to insert a bearing puller - the two-part circulate wedge type- or grind through the lower bearing to release it. Either method will damage the old seal, but if you have a new one, and use the first method, you could refit the bearing, assuming that the faces are unmarked. If you see any mark, it's time for a new bearing.

Originally they came with a ball bearing, but most people replace with a drum roller type. Just be aware that you don't use the ball type torque settings with a roller bearing, or you won't be able to steer.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

I have opted to make one, so that the original dust washer and bottom bearing cone can stay in place.

If HONDA can do it, I think I can retro-design similar :crazy:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Interested to see your design. Good luck 👍
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I know this might feel like a cop-out suggestion... but are you worried about getting the lower bearing cone off?

If you have the means to get to a motorbike shop without your bike, you could take your lower yoke and replacement seal to a bike shop and they would have it done in minutes. Saves messing around?
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

I did think about this. I do know them at my local Honda place as they service my Triumph and they’re good guys.

I expect I could probably wedge it off carefully - I’m ok at coming up with strange ways to mimic expensive tools.

I think it was more that the metal part of the washer was fine, the bearing part was fine and for the sake of creating a piece of rubber that does the job I wanted to pick my battles to get the thing running again by May time.

It’s a strange profile that metal/rubber dust washer. It’s not obvious how the seal is made. Sone of it is intact, so I can see the original profile and it’s nowhere near tight to the inside of the steering head.

Also, I’m stubborn. Once I decide that I doing something, I might spend lots of time and money on it instead of buying new (hence the whole project really)
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Donut 77 wrote: Once I decide that I doing something, I might spend lots of time and money on it instead of buying new (hence the whole project really)

Haha, fair enough. I think you'll fit in well here! Image

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The problem is that the original rubber "seal" is only bonded to the outside edge of the metal disc.
If you simply cut a rubber washer, for example from an inner tube, it would need to be affixed to the outer edge of the metal "washer".
If you placed it below the lower race, when you try to tension the races the rubber will not provide a solid base for the lower race to seat upon.
I applaud your intention to create something, but in this case you might be spending a lot more effort solving a problem compared to simply buying one.

Some aftermarket bearing sets don't include the lower seal, and there are no particular issues.
You might argue that any moisture that condenses or spray that settles in the stem area needs to drain somewhere- if you create a perfect seal, it will trap the water.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

tony.mon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:28 am I don't see how you can remove the dust seal without removing the lower cone, you either need to insert a bearing puller - the two-part circulate wedge type….
I bought one of those external bearing wedge circular things but can’t get it on due to the cast lugs at the front either side that limit the steering rotation.

Bugger.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Donut 77 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:09 pm
tony.mon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:28 am I don't see how you can remove the dust seal without removing the lower cone, you either need to insert a bearing puller - the two-part circulate wedge type….
I bought one of those external bearing wedge circular things but can’t get it on due to the cast lugs at the front either side that limit the steering rotation.

Bugger.
Grind it to fit. You won't need it for anything else, unless you split steering linkages on a car.
Alternatively, grind off the steering stops, remove the lower bearing, then drill and tap the lower triple so you can insert m6 or m8 cap heads to act as steering stops.

Personally, I just grind the old race off. If you're careful and stop grinding just before touching the stem, with a light tap of a hammer the race cracks and is loose.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:24 pm.

Personally, I just grind the old race off. If you're careful and stop grinding just before touching the stem, with a light tap of a hammer the race cracks and is loose.
That’s my normal solution too
AMcQ
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

In the end I managed to lever the bearing off using the dust seal washer and screwdriver - it was a press fit, but not stupid tight. Bearing intact. Happy days