Question about rear brake hoses

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ItsaKeeper

Question about rear brake hoses

Post by ItsaKeeper »

Hi - I'm looking to replace my 2003 firestorm rear brake hoses with braided SS and looking at the bike / parts schematic there are 2 hoses. One from the rear master cylinder to the cylinder sub assembly and the second hose from that assembly to the rear caliper.

I checked both HEL and Venhill websites and as a standard order they sell the hose from the cylinder sub assembly to the caliper. The Goodridge site did not offer any rear hoses as part of a standard kit.

Just wondering if 2 hoses are needed or if the hose from the connection from the master cylinder to the cylinder sub assembly is fine to stay as rubber as it might not be under any pressure, unlike the hose that connects to the rear caliper :confused

Thanks
Donut 77

Re: Question about rear brake hoses

Post by Donut 77 »

I think that the fluid is only under pressure after the master cylinder. On the front brakes the reservoir/brake lever/master cyclinder is all the same sort of unit, so there’s no joining hose, but the principle is the same. Anything ‘upstream’ from the MC is just there to stop air getting in and provide a head of fluid - not really under pressure.

I would like to add, I am far from an expert. This is my understanding though.
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
ItsaKeeper

Post by ItsaKeeper »

My understanding of the front brake set up is that there is a joining hose, from the master cylinder to a kind of splitter box and then there are 2 further hoses from that splitter box to each caliper. So 3 hoses in total as standard for the front. This is similar to the goodridge hose set up I have on my RD350LC front brake where the front brake hose kit consists of 3 hoses.

I was just wondering if the folks who had replaced the standard rear brake hoses did so with 2 braided SS hoses :confused
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

The splitter on the front is necessary because there are 2 brakes (although this set up can be changed for a separate hose each and a double banjo bolt) nevertheless, all the front hoses are under pressure since they are down stream in the system from the master cylinder.

On the rear, there is only one brake. The second hose that you asked about in your post is just a feed from the reservoir, due to it being positioned away from the rear master cylinder.

Hope that helps.
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
ItsaKeeper

Post by ItsaKeeper »

Thanks for your help I now get why only 1 hose needed for the rear :thumbup: