Starter relay

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Dazza2910

Starter relay

Post by Dazza2910 »

Went to turn bike on for the first time in a while and despite having been on the optimate, nothing.

Found the 30A fuse had blown in the starter relay. Stupidly changed it without checking the connector and it went immediately (without ignition on).

Discovered it looks like this. Presume there is no point in trying to clean it up. Can get me relay easily enough and they're not expensive, but what about the connector as it seems to be part of the loom?

Dazza2910

Re: Starter relay

Post by Dazza2910 »

Would something like this be better and just replace it all?

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There's a lot of current going through here, so make sure you make good connections.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

Maybe a silly question, but did you remove the battery when it was being maintained?

If you reconnect the battery leads back to front by accident, that fuse will blow immediately.

Just checking.....
Dazza2910

Post by Dazza2910 »

Battery definitely in correctly. Use Optimate lead for charging.

Will just order new one and replace. Safer option then trying to clean it.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

:thumbup:
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

I had similar issue. First start in 5 years and starter +ve was grounded through rust, which blew the relay up!

As a side question - anyone know what the ‘gunk’ is inside all the connectors on the loom and should it be cleaned out before things are reconnected?
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

Donut 77 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:49 am I had similar issue. First start in 5 years and starter +ve was grounded through rust, which blew the relay up!

As a side question - anyone know what the ‘gunk’ is inside all the connectors on the loom and should it be cleaned out before things are reconnected?
If it's the white grease put in by Honda, it goes hard over time and can cause lack of contact. My 2001 indicators stopped working, and I had to take the handlebar switch apart to clean the gunk out. Now working fine.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Donut 77 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:49 am I had similar issue. First start in 5 years and starter +ve was grounded through rust, which blew the relay up!

It will be dielectric grease. It non-conductive and used to protect the connectors from corrosion, moisture & dirt. If you clean off the old stuff then be sure to reapply some fresh grease.

Al.
Dazza2910

Post by Dazza2910 »

So the replacement relay arrived but has a 15A fuse in it which isn't right.

Have emailed company to find out if I can put a 30A fuse in or whether they've sent me the wrong part!
xeris

Post by xeris »

Dazza2910 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:39 am So the replacement relay arrived but has a 15A fuse in it which isn't right.

Have emailed company to find out if I can put a 30A fuse in or whether they've sent me the wrong part!
Short of an answer to your email, measure the wire diameter to determine the mm2. That will tell you the amp rating of the wire. Of course you will need a chart to do this.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

The 30A fuse is the main fuse between the battery and the bike's electrical system. From what I can see, most Hondas use a unit with a 30A fuse.

Dazza2910

Post by Dazza2910 »

I knew the standard one is a 30A and I confirmed in the workshop manual already. Checked with supplier to make sure I can just put the right fuse in and not have to exchange the part and it's all good.

The part fits a variety of Honda's and they sent one with 15A instead of 30A. They did offer to post one but will get one from my work for free anyway.

Will try and get it done this weekend.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Dazza2910 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:30 pm I knew the standard one is a 30A and I confirmed in the workshop manual already. Checked with supplier to make sure I can just put the right fuse in and not have to exchange the part and it's all good.

The part fits a variety of Honda's and they sent one with 15A instead of 30A. They did offer to post one but will get one from my work for free anyway.

Will try and get it done this weekend.
Good luck with it, fingers crossed all will be good :thumbup:

Chris.