Hi from Reading

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
purgeraptor

Re: Hi from Reading

Post by purgeraptor »

Decided to fit the Mac stainless split flange to the rear to match the front I did a few weeks ago.

Pacing myself :lol:

Bit trickier than the front to cut the old flange off, without grazing the downpipe or bike frame / shock etc.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That is looking a lot better than the old header flange's 8) :thumbup:

Chris.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

sirch345 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:54 pm That is looking a lot better than the old header flange's 8) :thumbup:

Chris.
Yes, they're nicely made :thumbup:
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

Well, that TourMax rebuild kit for the vacuum fuel tap is rubbish.

Seemed OK initially, but when I filled the tank to the top from a jerry can, the added pressure must have overcome the spring and diaphragm or something. So when I tested it today, the tap stayed on, with the knobule turned fully anticlockwise.

I hate vacuum petrol taps, had trouble with them on my other bikes too.

Decided to fit a ZZR1100C manual tap which I had put new seals in.

Took the main feed from the longer RHS spigot of the vacuum tap (which is always on!), to the manual tap, then to a 10mm brass T piece, which then feeds each carb. Manual tap is 8mm pipe fitment, so had to force 8mm hose onto the 10mm vacuum tap and the 10mm brass T piece.

Ran some hose from the 'spare' LHS vacuum tap spigot, sealed it with jubilee clip against the plain shank of a long SS allen bolt, then tucked it down behind the LHS frame rail. May come in useful for tank draining.

Manual tap fixed to the rear brake reservoir mount with a small spacer sleeve.

All fired up to fan kick in temp, and no leaks.

I may gut the vacuum fuel tap, next time I have the tank removed from the bike, in case the rubbish diaphragm decides to randomly switch off.

Only problem was losing one of the front tank mounting collars....which blinked out into a different space time continuum before it hit the floor!
Can't find it anywhere despite 90 minutes searching :lol:

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wow that must be a novelty of having a fuel tap you can actually get to on our Firestorms :thumbup:

A shame about the Tourmax repair kit.

If I have had anything from the fuel tank front mounting points drop down when lifting the tank off the frame, I am praying to hear it hit the floor. Usually it doesn't meaning it has held up somewhere on the bike. If you still have the fairing fitted it could be held by that, possibly somewhere near one of the radiators, or down between the side of the airbox. Hopefully yours did hit the floor as you think :)

Chris.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

The tank fell down as I was wrestling with the fuel pipes, and both collars fell out. Found one on the garage floor, but the other is nowhere to be seen.

Checked floor and the nooks and crannies on the bike....will resume the search tomorrow.

I found an almost identical collar in my nut, bolts and washers spares box, so the tank is secure.

Just worried about the lost collar jamming a cable or getting stuck in the steering, brakes or drive chain.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

purgeraptor wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:35 pm The tank fell down as I was wrestling with the fuel pipes, and both collars fell out. Found one on the garage floor, but the other is nowhere to be seen.

Checked floor and the nooks and crannies on the bike....will resume the search tomorrow.

I found an almost identical collar in my nut, bolts and washers spares box, so the tank is secure.

Just worried about the lost collar jamming a cable or getting stuck in the steering, brakes or drive chain.
Good luck in finding it,

Chris.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:43 pm
purgeraptor wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:35 pm The tank fell down as I was wrestling with the fuel pipes, and both collars fell out. Found one on the garage floor, but the other is nowhere to be seen.

Good luck in finding it,

Chris.
Still no luck, think I'm going to have to take the fairing off :?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can glue the collars into their rubber housing with a dab of silicon sealer or gasket goo.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:32 am You can glue the collars into their rubber housing with a dab of silicon sealer or gasket goo.
:thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

purgeraptor wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:52 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:43 pm

Good luck in finding it,

Chris.
Still no luck, think I'm going to have to take the fairing off :?
Before removing the fairing from the bike completely once you've removed the fixings, try pulling the out the sides of the fairing, you may find the collar is held up there near the bottom of the panel,

Chris.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

:D :lol:

purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

Another hour of searching bike and floor (tried behind the fairing panels, ta Chris).

Decided to sit back and think what I was doing when it was 'lost'.

As I only heard one hit the floor, which was found easily, suddenly remembered I have a habit of putting bolts etc into my pockets whilst dismantling, then transferring to old takeaway tubs at regular intervals.

Nothing....but decided to look in my spare nuts and bolts tray....and there it was!

Must have removed it when I originally lifted the tank as it was very loose, and put it in my pocket.

Joys of being an olde forgetful git :?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:lol: Well done in finding the little blighter :clap: :clap:

At least you can now relax knowing it's not going to be causing a problem later on,

Chris.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

:thumbup:
sirch345 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:13 pm :lol: Well done in finding the little blighter :clap: :clap:

At least you can now relax knowing it's not going to be causing a problem later on,

Chris.