Bump start

General Bike chat
zakisbak

Bump start

Post by zakisbak »

Bike wouldn't start up and battery faded so tried bumping it,using 4th gear as lower gears just lock back wheel.
No joy but sitting there breathless,hit the starter and she fired up!
Hadn't ridden for about 6 weeks I suppose,think I'll bring battery indoors in future
I was the only bike at Epping,cold but very sunny.

Absolutely lethal dip in the road from Loughton;I was airborne with bars akimbo;reckon I was randomly lucky;I suppose if you land when the bars are to one side you're off?
It happened too quick even for the adrenaline to respond. :shifty:
ItsaKeeper

Re: Bump start

Post by ItsaKeeper »

Main thing is you are okay :thumbup:

I have a mixed history of battery luck on the storm, when I bought the bike the battery was near the end of its life so I replaced it with a standard OEM one. I kept it connected to a bike charger all the time when I was not using the bike in winter and I think that ruined the battery so again replaced with a standard battery. This was a few years ago and now I plug the charger in for a few hours once every few weeks to keep it healthy and that seems to have worked.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I always remove the battery and keep it in the house if I ain’t using it for a while .
Bump starting the vtr ain’t easy unless you have some weight on you 😉
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

zakisbak wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:51 pm Bike wouldn't start up and battery faded so tried bumping it,using 4th gear as lower gears just lock back wheel.
No joy but sitting there breathless,hit the starter and she fired up!
Hadn't ridden for about 6 weeks I suppose,think I'll bring battery indoors in future
I was the only bike at Epping,cold but very sunny.

Absolutely lethal dip in the road from Loughton;I was airborne with bars akimbo;reckon I was randomly lucky;I suppose if you land when the bars are to one side you're off?
It happened too quick even for the adrenaline to respond. :shifty:
I'm also glad to hear you are okay.
ItsaKeeper wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:01 am Main thing is you are okay :thumbup:

I have a mixed history of battery luck on the storm, when I bought the bike the battery was near the end of its life so I replaced it with a standard OEM one. I kept it connected to a bike charger all the time when I was not using the bike in winter and I think that ruined the battery so again replaced with a standard battery. This was a few years ago and now I plug the charger in for a few hours once every few weeks to keep it healthy and that seems to have worked.
I have read of others on here of not having had much luck with battery Charger/Monitors.
I use a Datatool battery Charger/Monitor that is always connected to the battery in the bike over the winter and it has done it's job brilliantly over the years (I have probably jinxed it now :eh: ). I do however stick with OEM Yuasa batteries and the Datatool Charger/Monitor is suitable to use with AGM (Absorbent Glass Matt) batteries,

Chris.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

When I've had to bump start it I've used 2nd gear, down a slight hill, sitting on bike, let clutch out fast once speed's built up then immediately pull clutch back in when engine starts to fire.
zakisbak

Post by zakisbak »

Thanks for replies.

Yeah,there's a decent slope near me but if it doesn't fire up,pushing it back uphill!

I think I've tried 2nd gear but the wheel just locks up?
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

My 2 comments are first I use a "battery tender" from the old std battery days. Yes it is safe to charge your lithium battery with one, you just can't let it sit on the charger (you need to unplug it when charged). As for bump starting, the old dirt bike method seems to work. Get the bike rolling then hop on and slam your butt down on the seat while popping the clutch to get extra traction.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.